No announcement yet.

More codecs in DaVinci ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wrong about DPX, it's openEXR I meant. This is something AfterEffects can read. Not sure about Premiere Pro.
    Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Ferrell View Post
      So is DPX the only way to get 32bpc files out of Resolve? I'm kind of disapointed I've got to render and then go back to the NLE to output my deliverables.
      why do you need 32bpc?
      Cinema DNG files will be 12bit, Prores will be 10bit.
      C300 review | http://carousel.hu/c300/

Comment

There is a list of all the Codecs natively supported by Resolve here
        http://www.blackmagic-design.com/sup...d=11735&os=mac

Resolve processes internally in RGB at 32 bit floating point and you can render to a large number of formats and codecs including 16 bit float DPX and EXR and to ProRes and DNxHD when on a Mac OS X system. (No ProRes on Windows or Linux)

With the appropriate hardware, Resolve can render four times faster than real time even with grading applied so its not usually seen as the bottleneck but usually the fastest system in the workflow with the highest quality. This is one of the reasons its used in Hollywood on major films.
        Peter

Comment

For us PC users let's hope Resolve 9 expands our codec options. I downloaded the lite version for testing. None of the codecs I routinely use could be opened. Cineform avi, psd, jpeg, mts, and plain old DV. The only thing on my machine it recognized was some mp4 videos I used for sending approvals.
          Tim Veal
          http://sandstoneproductions.net
          My blog

Comment

Originally posted by vealti View Post
            For us PC users let's hope Resolve 9 expands our codec options. I downloaded the lite version for testing. None of the codecs I routinely use could be opened. Cineform avi, psd, jpeg, mts, and plain old DV. The only thing on my machine it recognized was some mp4 videos I used for sending approvals.
            Well, Davinci has the codec support of the main formats for professional grading, from DNxHD, prores, to uncompressed sequences, and so on.
            Doubt that they will work on codecs like psd, avi, xvid, etc.
            C300 review | http://carousel.hu/c300/

Comment

Originally posted by laco View Post
              Well, Davinci has the codec support of the main formats for professional grading, from DNxHD, prores, to uncompressed sequences, and so on.
              They dont need to work on the actual the codecs, just link the software to them or allow the software to see any installed codecs.

There is a h264 codec but when I looked I could not find any bitrate options..even just adding an option for a lower bitrate would at least mean you can pump out a mov file for hosting on the net or sticking a film on a BD or DVD direct from your raw footage so you can send a sample out quick. rendering direct from the original raw could possibly result in a better looking final? rendering a small Jpeg from a Raw normally looks a bit better then doing the same from a visually perfect Jpeg...

aha I can tell your a mac owner.. avi is just a container like mov

Im probably going to have to join the borg & hand over my visa card to Apple....the little voice in my head keeps reminding me how cool they look...
              New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

Comment

Originally posted by laco View Post
                Maybe not mts or dv, but Cineform is a professional format for grading, not to mention the raw version of it. The mac version of Resolve can read and write Cineform. And according to the list by Black Magic, the mac version also will Read and Write many less professional grading codecs that come with Final Cut such as HDV, DVCPro, XDCam, and even DV. And how professional are my mp4 files for YouTube? They are the only format I have that Resolve is reading! If you look at the mac codec listing it's several pages long. The PC codecs is half a page with none in avi containers. I think if you are going to support PC you should enable the codecs used in the PC NLEs such as Premiere just as they have with Final Cut. And for PC that means avi. So I'm still hoping Resolve 9 expands PC codec options.
                Tim Veal
                http://sandstoneproductions.net
                My blog

Comment

Originally posted by vealti View Post
                  Maybe not mts or dv, but Cineform is a professional format for grading, not to mention the raw version of it. The mac version of Resolve can read and write Cineform. And according to the list by Black Magic, the mac version also will Read and Write many less professional grading codecs that come with Final Cut such as HDV, DVCPro, XDCam, and even DV. And how professional are my mp4 files for YouTube? They are the only format I have that Resolve is reading! If you look at the mac codec listing it's several pages long. The PC codecs is half a page with none in avi containers. I think if you are going to support PC you should enable the codecs used in the PC NLEs such as Premiere just as they have with Final Cut. And for PC that means avi. So I'm still hoping Resolve 9 expands PC codec options.
                  +1

Comment

I just discovered this thing! http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...der/techspecs/ looks like just the ticket for me, I guess I need a HD SDI out card also?

I will read the manual to find out if it supports some none standard frame sizes
                    New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

Comment

Working...
                    X