Little raw cam side project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David View Post
    By the way Nick you are an impressive young man. Your work on your sight is really good but what is most impressive about you is your attitude towards learning. You are a sponge soaking up knowledge. Don't ever loose that.
    Thanks David. Means a lot! I try to always be a sponge when it comes to learning something.

Comment

Soeren > What you're doing is awesome, keep it up and good luck!
      Blackmagic Design
      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Thanks guys! ... I won't stop until I have a working portable little raw cam!

Uploaded a few mp4s.. downscaled to 1080p, but two of them are 2K 60fps playing as 24fps (but I still have some skipped/dropped frames at 60fps due to my not-yet-optimized-programming) ... you clearly see the resolution drop but imho it's still usable.. has some 16mm grain/quality to it - and shows how much less rolling shutter the binning mode has!

http://all-digital.de/projects/vooca...t1/2012_12_08/

Sorry for shaky cam/wobble.. didn't have any sort of tripod with me and this little ice cube is much more fiddly/fragile than any DSLR out there! And exposure/focus are still quite tricky with the limited monitoring options currently...

I've got a commercial shoot coming up tomorrow with an EPIC and perhaps I find a few minutes to finally mount this thing on the dolly besides it as well...

Comment

Funny... same time with the BMC update.. good news from my little project as well - yesterday and today I had a remote session (screen sharing on the embedded board) with a service/support technician from Point Grey and we were now able to patch their USB driver so that it works with the VIA USB3 controller!
          This is really awesome as now "all of a sudden" I can get the full frame rate/resolution same as on the Intel based notebook! So the small 10 x 7.2 cm VIA board is again in play as the main platform for this whole thing.

And I've got a bunch of the usual test charts (resolution and color charts) laying around from our local camera rental place which I will shoot over the next few days to finally get the color calibration going!

Yay.. really motivated again to get the software to the next level...

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

think this little box has the processing power for what you're doing?:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...80,3231-5.html

runs off DC, usb 3, etc... but not sure of its power draw

which board are you running it off of now? while im sure you've got some lovely plans to build it all into a case. i might just like to try a modular approach.
              Darren Levine

he shoots, he edits, he frequently rants
              http://mediahalo.com/p/dlevine

Comment

Should have enough power.. but I'm not sure if its USB3 controller would be supported. The New Intel NUC should work too (but you'd Need to add a Mini PCIe SATA Controller + Mini PCIe USB3 controller) and it has considerably higher power draw.

I'm using the VIA P910 which is a pico ITX Board so even smaller than the Zotac and NUC.. its only 3.93 x 2.84 inch! Its 1GHz quad core 64bit (x86 compatible) with USB3, SATA, Audio (and additional usb2 Ports) Takes max 8GB RAM.. Mini HDMI and VGA Out (plus LVDS Display connector on Board) - really powerful little bugger

And its powered via little 12V DC connector. Capturing to SDD from the Cam Head works fine when connected to a 12V power supply rated at max 2A! So it should run quite some time off batteries
                Works fine with my Tekkeon battery for example.

Comment

very neat little board

have you found a touchscreen panel yet?

it seems as if you may want to even try picking up a refurb/used nook color for under 100 bucks and hack that apart. very pretty screen. glossy yes, buy plenty of matte protection options
                  Darren Levine

he shoots, he edits, he frequently rants
                  http://mediahalo.com/p/dlevine

Comment

no touchscreen yet... we "stumbled" upon a few nice barebone panels for car use but i'm not sure about their quality yet... interesting idea about the nook!

i need the touchscreen soon.. the user interface comes along quite nicely.. and yes shame on me i borrowed a few ideas

Comment

Soeren, this is all very interesting and all and we wish you every success with your amazing developments, but let's get to the important stuff! Who is your model?

Comment

Where do i pre-order?
                        Blackmagic Design
                        My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                          Soeren, this is all very interesting and all and we wish you every success with your amazing developments, but let's get to the important stuff! Who is your model?
                          Haha.. my lovely girlfriend... the only thing keeping me sane

@CaptainHook - thx, let you know asap.. perhaps a small batch or something, need a good housing/body first..

getting a 7" 1280x800 touch tft this week!

Comment

You are a genius, man!! I really wish you the greatest success with this development

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                              Where do i pre-order?
                              Maybe you could build them one at a time and slowly sell them, gradually finding better sensors etc. Raw is the new revolution in cameras right now. Wish I could program as there's plenty of buyers throwing their money to the wind through crowd funding and preorders.
                              Last edited by adam777; 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

sounds great! would be also interested in a pre - order.

Comment

Working...
                                X