***RED Raven Footage***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarlacc View Post
    Well this turned into quite the circle jerk :-)
    you really hate it dont you

Comment

• Originally posted by JLdp View Post
      haha, well those purina campaigns i did well paid me enough to buy 5 ravens, haha...
      You know what I mean!

Comment

• Originally posted by vicharris View Post
        You know what I mean!
        i know, i just found it a funny coincidence!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarred Land View Post
          I know we all do actually shoot that kind of footage when we are fucking around, myself included, and I know there are exceptions, such as people that shoot dogs for a living or lamposts for a living or boats for a living, but generally that's not the kind of thing our customers actually get paid for ( or want to get paid for ).
          I used to shoot documentaries for a living, and that's exactly the type of footage I got paid for - shooting people in their environments/neighborhoods and whatever else. Shooting b-roll for cutaways of the environment which did include boats sitting on water, people out walking, dogs, people emptying rubbish bins, all kinds of "mundane" activities in completely natural light. Doesn't mean it's not beautiful or that there aren't a ton of people out there making a living shooting that stuff. People like Roger Deakins cut their teeth and developed their style shooting that PAID work.

Not everyone likes or wants to work in the bubble-gum, glossy commercial world shooting generic crap for horrible corporates and dreadful fashion pieces of anorexic half naked woman.

It's not the only work paying and not even the most rewarding work to do, even though the LA bubble can easily fool all of us at times that it is. There's a lot of money for people who also want to shoot something with honesty and integrity, that tells meaningful and relatable stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Abrams View Post
            I used to shoot documentaries for a living, and that's exactly the type of footage I got paid for - shooting people in their environments/neighborhoods and whatever else. Shooting b-roll for cutaways of the environment which did include boats sitting on water, people out walking, dogs, people emptying rubbish bins, all kinds of "mundane" activities in completely natural light. Doesn't mean it's not beautiful or that there aren't a ton of people out there making a living shooting that stuff. People like Roger Deakins cut their teeth and developed their style shooting that PAID work.

Not everyone likes or wants to work in the bubble-gum, glossy commercial world shooting generic crap for horrible corporates and dreadful fashion pieces of anorexic half naked woman.

It's not the only work paying and not even the most rewarding work to do, even though the LA bubble can easily fool all of us at times that it is. There's a lot of money for people who also want to shoot something with honesty and integrity, that tells meaningful and relatable stories.
            You know what.. I actually agree with everything you just said.

Comment

• Nothing wrong with shooting standard everyday subject for a living, there is a market for that and I know people who does that and receive government grants for it. Just that would one really want to use a RED or BMD camera to do those kind of work when it can be done with lower level camersa such as a dSLR. If I were to do those kind of work with a BMD camera I would consider shooting in Prores LT not Prores HQ or RAW. While I welcome the 4.6k beta samples of ordinary mundane subject which I find better understand the quality than slick production with careful lightings, etc, as a new camera I also believe you have to create an impression that can only be achieve with a slick presentation. What we aspire to and what we actually end up doing might be a world apart but I think most people like to see what can be aspire to when opening our wallets.

Comment

You know what.. I actually agree with everything you just said.
                It's what I should have originally said, instead of posting emotionally. But there's value to both types of test footage from slick to "observational" for a variety of working shooters. And the last couple of years has seen a real trend for even advertising spots to have that documentary style feel.

I mean this Apple spot was shot by Wally Pfister with a Dragon correct? Starts with a boat floating on the water.
                There's people in the markets. Some joggers running down the road. People doing Tai Chi in the park. Pretty sure he got paid well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQcFvamzdno

Sure there's a mixture of natural light and some augmented shots with lighting to look natural and well planned and scheduled shooting combined with a great DP and shooter, but there's a few shots in there where it's obvious the Dragon is handling a wide range well and test videos out in the wild indicate whether another camera can do the same or not. So personally I see a lot of value in test footage from beta testers that is raw and from the hip, because grabbing unplanned moments is so in style right now and you need the right tool for that.

Comment

• Totally agree. The Apple Watch ad 'Up' almost looks like it's an ad for the single camera that can shoot all those varying and difficult everyday scenes.

Comment

• The Apple ad is actually slick mimicking everyday scenes you see in many adverts these days. The careful staging of most of the scenes, the frequent use of a slider and not least the short edit from one scene to another to avoid boredom are all design to seduce and sell. It is not a good example of showcasing everyday scene were camera users "fucking around" as Jarred said.
                    Last edited by Taikonaut; 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Abrams View Post
                      So classy when the administrator of the forum who runs a competing camera company comes on and bags early demo footage of said competitor.

How low and sleazy can someone get?

Jesus.
                      If it's an awesome camera forum Jarred Land probably owns it. And yes, if you shoot crappy stuff to promote your camera it doesn't make viewers go "Wow, I want that."

-Nate

Comment

• Originally posted by nathynmasters View Post
                        If it's an awesome camera forum Jarred Land probably owns it. And yes, if you shoot crappy stuff to promote your camera it doesn't make viewers go "Wow, I want that."

-Nate
                        Troll much?

Comment

• Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                          Troll much?
                          That wasn't a troll. As a long time member of the DVXUser forum I know that Jarred likes cameras and production, and he didn't trash BMD, but made a true statement. Example: GoPro released a video about a woman going to a music festival. The beauty artistry, etc made me more interested in a GoPro/actioncam more than ever before. Later someone asked me, (Paraphrasing) "With all the other cool footage out there footage of a music festival makes you want a GoPro." I stated, (Paraphrasing) "This isn't a music festival, it's the story of someone going to a music festival and how it changed their life/affected them. That makes me want a GoPro." It was artistic, poetic and beautiful and all done with that tiny camera. And while I'd seen a lot of cool GoPro stuff, that sealed the deal. Basically, RED has been very good about showing their camera in action, Black Magic has not. I know how good the Black Magic is because I know someone with one who shot parts of one of my films with it and I had to edit the footage. I did like it a lot. So, recently I saw a video shot on the RED. My friend who owned the BMPC was saying how awesome it was. I looked at it and it was indeed kick ass footage, but I simply had to ask, "Couldn't you do that on the Black Magic?" And then later I saw this thread. And what Jarred said was 100% true. After seeing Vincent LaForet's work with the 5DM2 I bought a T3i. I couldn't afford a 5D, but I got as close as I could until I moved to mirrorless. So yes, everyone shows you weeds blowing in the wind and beaches and people walking down the street, but putting a camera in someone's hand and really letting them show what it can do with it can mean the difference between a sale or not. Simply as that. Marketing 101. Not a troll at all, just real talk and this is what I too want to see, the storytelling potential.

-Nate
                          Last edited by nathynmasters; 02-14-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I commend them on the Micro, I personally ordered that one and am excited to receive it and give it a go.
                            I thought its worth reviving this thread at least just once.
                            Hi Jarred, how much has the BMMCC been an inspiration for the Komodo? They are both meant to be primarily stunt cameras.

Comment

Working...
                            X