***RED Raven Footage***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bzpop View Post
    It would be impossible to tell Red from BM.
    well, unless you will be looking for the rolling shutter

Comment

• Originally posted by bzpop View Post
      well, unless you will be looking for the rolling shutter

And the colour difference - which is usually very noticeable.
      Tom Majerski
      Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

• Originally posted by stevesherrick View Post
        Do you have first hand knowledge of the production?
        You do know they own their own stages in LA right?
        Not taking away from what they've done with the video but i'm sure they have a lot of stuff at their disposal.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbeagl View Post
          You do know they own their own stages in LA right?
          Not taking away from what they've done with the video but i'm sure they have a lot of stuff at their disposal.
          They own a studio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarlacc View Post
            They own a studio.
            That too. I worked at RED studios a few times.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbeagl View Post
              That too. I worked at RED studios a few times.
              Same. Last time I was there was for reshoots and pick ups for The Conjuring. Which was Alexa :-)

Comment

• "Same. Last time I was there was for reshoots and pick ups for The Conjuring. Which was Alexa :-)"

You shot The Conjuring??? That was a great horror thriller. Mad respect. Can you tell us more?
                Filmmaker - Author
                https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
                  "Same. Last time I was there was for reshoots and pick ups for The Conjuring. Which was Alexa :-)"

You shot The Conjuring??? That was a great horror thriller. Mad respect. Can you tell us more?
                  Hahah. No I did not. The great Matt Leonetti was the DP for the LA reshoots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    Plus there would be strategic benefits to hosting a rival camera companies unofficial user forum.

I very much doubt its done out of the kindness of their hearts.
                    This seems like an odd thing to say. I'm not seeing how Jarred hosting a public forum affords him any strategic advantages over simply visiting the site and reading the comments like everyone else on the internet.

Perhaps you mean he could sabotage the flow of information and ideas if BMD became "too dangerous" in RED's eyes by shutting it down unexpectedly or inexplicably deleting certain threads/comments? This forum seems to have been around for at least 3 1/2 years, judging by join dates.

In all of that time, has anything fishy or untoward happened to the forum to make anyone suspect foul play? I don't know if you knew Jarred hosted the forum before it came to light in this thread.

If not, your accusations come across as spontaneous and cynical paranoia after the fact. If so, on what history are you basing your claims? Jarred commented here under his own name and appears to make no secret of his involvement with this forum.

If this site simply goes down for regular maintenance (as REDuser sometimes does), he's inevitably going to get blamed for nefarious and underhanded activities by people looking for a conspiracy - again, after they've learned of his affiliation, not before, based on questionable events.

A shutdown or selective deletions would make things far worse for him and RED versus just leaving the forum alone. As best as I can tell, what you call a strategic advantage would actually be lose-lose for him. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                      I would hazard a guess that the advertising on this website covers the cost of hosting a forum. I expect that it gets a lot more traffic than my own website gets and the few adverts on my site more than cover the cost of hosting. Plus there would be strategic benefits to hosting a rival camera companies unofficial user forum.

I very much doubt its done out of the kindness of their hearts.
                      You're kind of reaching on this one bruv. With all the knowledge I've gained and friends I've made here, this comment seems rather inappropriate. I appreciate this forum and it's members. Some have become people that would actually call a friend. It sounds ridiculous that this would be a part of some elaborate scheme to control the camera marketplace.

Again- the RED stuff looks great. However, I believe the same level of quality can be achieved with the pocket or even a GH4. I'm not gonna make the cliche point that 'only story matters' but we are at a place that you can achieve great results with any decent camera. DSLRs included.

As with anything else in the world tho, perception does matter. And RED is doing a great job of shaping the perception around their products. Budget or no budget, people got together to create something worthy of our attention. Should that not be enough?

I enjoy the spec banter when it's friendly and informative. But honestly, the way these threads always turn ugly is growing really tiring.
                      instagram
                      my work

Comment

• It is interesting the Raven promo video was shot using Zeiss Milvus. From what I know of the Milvus it has an all new T coating which is arguebly one of the best at controlling flares. You won't believe when shooting at the sun on a sunny day how well it handles the sun's rays. All this bodes well against highlight clipping and for RED sensor which some say don't handle clipping particualrly well the Milvus can deliver that little bit extra. The Raven promo shows bright light comming through the window and onto the interior and on the model but how much of that is the Milvus new T coating. I'm sure had it been any other lenses (forget about vintage lenses which is even worse in the coating department) getting that result would be more challenging if not impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian B View Post
                          This seems like an odd thing to say. I'm not seeing how Jarred hosting a public forum affords him any strategic advantages over simply visiting the site and reading the comments like everyone else on the internet.

Perhaps you mean he could sabotage the flow of information and ideas if BMD became "too dangerous" in RED's eyes by shutting it down unexpectedly or inexplicably deleting certain threads/comments? This forum seems to have been around for at least 3 1/2 years, judging by join dates.

In all of that time, has anything fishy or untoward happened to the forum to make anyone suspect foul play? I don't know if you knew Jarred hosted the forum before it came to light in this thread.

If not, your accusations come across as spontaneous and cynical paranoia after the fact. If so, on what history are you basing your claims? Jarred commented here under his own name and appears to make no secret of his involvement with this forum.

If this site simply goes down for regular maintenance (as REDuser sometimes does), he's inevitably going to get blamed for nefarious and underhanded activities by people looking for a conspiracy - again, after they've learned of his affiliation, not before, based on questionable events.

A shutdown or selective deletions would make things far worse for him and RED versus just leaving the forum alone. As best as I can tell, what you call a strategic advantage would actually be lose-lose for him. Maybe I'm missing something.
                          I am not suggesting that they have done or intend to do anything that you have suggested. Just that there is a strategic benefit to being involved in a rival camera systems user forum and no expense.

I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit regarding my usage of the word strategic - I don't mean it in a nefarious way.

Providing a good and maintained space for discussion which serves no other purpose other than as a forum helps to keep most of the conversation (other than that of the official forum) all in one place, where reactions can be easily guaged and you have a market of users where your own products can be easily pitched to is clearly one example.
                          Tom Majerski

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarred Land
                            I am not sure what the strategic benefit would be.. can you explain that to me?

Maybe you forgot that I also own DVXuser.com.. and I started that long, long before RED ever existed. DVXuser covers all cameras, no matter what brand. I would like to think that BMC users took it as a compliment that I created them their own community.... but I guess not.
                            I'm grateful you created a BMD user community and am sure not alone in that thinking. If anything I wish better moderation but I know you are pretty much hands off in this forum's affair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                              I'm grateful you created a BMD user community and am sure not alone in that thinking. If anything I wish better moderation but I know you are pretty much hands off in this forum's affair.
                              Thanks Taikonaut. I am hand's off as I should be... but im always happy to come pop in and get into a fist fight if people are throwing personal attacks against me. And you are right.. Moderation needs to improve... and I can start doing that right now

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarred Land View Post
                                And you are right.. Moderation needs to improve... and I can start doing that right now

*gulps*

;-)
                                Tom Majerski

Comment

Working...
                                X