No announcement yet.

Red user here.... others as well ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another former "3K for $3K" Scarlet hopeful here. After the disappointment of what Scarlet became, it seems BMD has come to our rescue with a camera 'for the rest of us'. Exciting times.
    Last edited by Boz; 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM. Reason: clarity / typos

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
      Tell me, by any chance if BMC ends up surprising you guys and performing or out-performing the Scarlet with it's current sensor in terms of DR, what will this mean to any of you? Will you still upgrade to the Dragon sensor and use the BMC as a B cam? Obviously the Scarlet has a one up in many areas in terms of resolution, HDRx and other features etc.

But, if BMC were to provide you will a real raw solution giving you all the power you have with Scarlet at 2.5k, with cheaper accessories, smaller / lighter workflow... would any of you... *gasp*... switch over completely to BM?
      No.

Comment

Originally posted by Luis Caffesse View Post
        Scarlet owner here.

As far as the Dragon upgrade - it's impossible to say without knowing both the features and price it would offer.
        That said, the only thing I can think of right now that would get me to drop the Scarlet would be an Epic.
        +1

Comment

There's no question the BMC isn't a Scarlet. Beyond resolution there are a lot of features Scarlet has that the BMC wont. I was also a long time Scarlet follower and bought a GH2 to hold me over a while and get me use to that style of shooting. When Scarlet finally came out the price was higher and the changes they made didn't fit my current needs as well. But two of the main things I wanted - Increased DR and Raw shooting looks to be available in the BMC. So I pre-ordered. I still would like to move up to Red when I can.
          Tim Veal
          http://sandstoneproductions.net
          My blog

Comment

I was and have been just so upset with the Red company that I've kind of counted them out and having used a few now, they just aren't 100 percent reliable.... Now, this BMC seems like such a long awaited camera and without all the shenanigans and false promises and ultimately it'll fit nicely into the arsenal. Only thing I would like is atleast 60p in some fashion, but ohhh well. That can be the GH2 or something else's domain. I really love the BM products and they are a very interesting darkhorse in this race. When the footage comes out, that'll be the real clincher.

I do think there's a bit of extra costs associated with this but it's not proprietary stuff and for that I"m happy. I'm sure there's lots of other camera companies that are now wishing they had delivered this...

Comment

The BMC camera is Scarlet for everybody who wanted the original Scarlet concept and is totally priced out by the current Scarlet which is more or less a lower-functioning Epic.

It has been so long I can't remember how the BMCC specs match up with the original (Real?) Scarlet, but the BMCC probably has lower specs in terms of bells and whistles.

And yet it still has caught the imagination of the mini-budget film maker the same way the original Scarlet concept did.

I am intrigued enough to seriously consider buying one this July, but I shoot mostly corporate video, and I don't usually buy first-generation products. The Texas Media group buy makes it awfully tempting...

Comment

I mainly shoot corporate too (currently use a GH2) and am looking forward to using the BMC. It's probably not the right choice for a seminar, but for interviews, b-roll, product shots, etc. it should be great. Especially looking forward to the extra DR because I'm always being put into uncontrolled lighting situations.
                Tim Veal
                http://sandstoneproductions.net
                My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Justyn View Post
                  I was and have been just so upset with the Red company that I've kind of counted them out and having used a few now, they just aren't 100 percent reliable....
                  Originally posted by Justyn View Post
                  I was and have been just so upset with the Red company that I've kind of counted them out and having used a few now, they just aren't 100 percent reliable....
                  ...?

The only thing Red have been unreliably reliable on is in their delivery dates.

I have shot on my Red Ones (I have owned 3 of them at one point), MXes and my Epic, and have not had 1 problem that disrupted a shoot in 5 years. Every client I have ever had would be remarkably surprised that Reds are not reliable...

In fact the question here was not, "Are you annoyed with Red?", but "Are there any other Red users here?". So please stay on topic, and even if you are not please make sure you don't make such sweeping interjections without backing them up.
                  Last edited by Ivan; 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Ivan. I appreciate your post but I do disagree wholeheartedly on a few points. First off, my first introduction to the Red was at a local event. It didn't go well cause the Red camera that was there for the event, well they couldn't get it to mount or start up. So that's my first impression. The 2nd and 3rd were on shoots where the Red started to overheat and we had to switch back and forth. Also, early on we had a Red that didn't have audio and there was something else that didn't work.

My big gripe is not so much about the 3k for 3k that they said, revised and never delivered. It is their moniker on them changing their minds, and doing it often, and then revising it with some arrogance. I was one waiting for the Scarlet and even when they raised the price, but now they aren't delivering anywhere near what they said they were. I think that a combination of the Blackmagic and the Sony 700 is pretty much what they called for... So, yep I'm holding a grudge and maybe it's justifed or maybe not.

I also followed that whole debacle with Phillip Bloom and they really didn't come out of that looking very good, if anything, they looked really really bad. So first impressions, 2nd and 3rd, and then just a level of flippancy have made me less interested in spending my money there. No doubt they shook up the business but not in a manner that I like...

So sorry to derail this, but that's my .02 and quite a lot of people I think. A lot of people that waited with baited breath and then were greatly disappointed, for me... it wasn't so much that they didn't deliver, but they did it with a super flippant attitude, and so cavalier. It's not something I would call professional.... and that was clearly echoed with the other shenanigans that have gone on.

Comment

I just wonder if they'll make a mount/adapter to handle micro 4/3 lenses. I too shoot with Gh2 and would make a great option!

Comment

Working...
                      X