Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Cut Pro X 10.1 released - free update with significant improvements.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Cut Pro X 10.1 released - free update with significant improvements.

fcpx.jpg

Noam Kroll has a great early overview up at his blog.

As a FCPX user myself, I think these are exciting times. This is a very affordable tool that has come a long way since the clumsy feature-light launch, and I'm very happy with the workflow it allows. Same with the latest Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve, just to mention two examples I'm familiar with; incredible power, ever improving interfaces and workflows compared to even a few years ago, for a very small investment. I know I'm grateful.
    • Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
    • Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
    • 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
    • Libraries allow you to gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle
    • Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
    • Option to import camera media to locations inside or outside of a library
    • Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
    • Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
    • Audio fade handles on individual audio channels in the timeline
    • Add precise retime speeds by entering them numerically in the timeline
    • Non-rippling retime option
    • One step Replace and retime
    • Custom project frame sizes
    • Through edits displayed on all clip types
    • Join Through Edit command removes bladed cuts to clips in the timeline
    • Detach audio with Multicam clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
    • Make video- or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
    • Blade and move audio in J- and L-cuts
    • Ability to roll audio with J- and L-cut splits open
    • Option to hide the Event browser to gain more screen space for viewing
    • Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
    • Used media indicators on source clips
    • Improved performance with large projects
    • Improved performance when modifying or adding keywords to many clips at once
    • Easily move, copy, and paste multiple keyframes
    • Option for the linear animation with Ken Burns effect
    • Improved image stabilization with InertiaCam and Tripod mode
    • Import photos from iOS devices
    • Proxy and playback quality controls accessible in Viewer menu
    • Support for portrait/landscape metadata in still images
    • Effects parameters, fonts, and text size included in XML metadata
    • Improved support for growing media and edit while ingest
    • API for custom Share operations using third-party software
    • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
    • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution

As an aside, does anyone around here still hate FCPX with a passion, not inside-joke ironically? I understand it's not the right tool for a lot of workflows (there's an incredible number of post houses still using FCP7), but I'm surprised to see people still genuinely angry and dismissive two years later.
    telecinese.com twitter vimeo

Originally posted by Telecinese View Post
    As an aside, does anyone around here still hate FCPX with a passion, not inside-joke ironically?
    I get this a lot around here, mostly because people don't realize that it's been updated quite significantly since it's initial release, so most of the mocking concerns things that were problems at 10.0.0.

Comment

No native dng support...sad times

Comment

Native DNG support is a sad omission. At least they finally catched up with Premiere on native AVCHD support.

As for features, I jumped in once XML in/out and multicam (the best I've used) were implemented and didn't look back. I think Premiere CC is every bit as good (and with much superior After Effects integration, of course) but in general I prefer working in FCPX now. Going back to FCP7 this one time felt much rougher than I remembered – a step backwards, like switching from OSX Mavericks to Win95. And I learned editing in FCP7!

Comment

I think the only two things I really want out of the software at this point is a customizable window layout and DNG support. It's come a loooooong way since it's initial release.
          Last edited by fahnon; 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Telecinese View Post
            I think Premiere CC is every bit as good (and with much superior After Effects integration, of course) but in general I prefer working in FCPX now.
            I prefer FCPX for certain things, like web videos with quick turnarounds. Premiere CC, as you say, is also every bit as good, and I prefer the timeline for others (a narrative short I am working on in an offline/online edit seems better suited for Premiere because RedCineX is going to transcode those proxies faster than FCPX I betcha, and because the sound needed a lot of work, and it's way simpler to pull out audio clips in Premiere than in FCPX).

Comment

I love FCPX. I jumped on it early on from FCP7. It was annoying at first and I kept using FCP7 alongside it. Once you free yourself from the old way of thinking it can be very rewarding and quick to work with. I've not cut in FCP7 for over a year now.

I have Premier Pro CC installed and use it when clients need me to or the odd job just to keep in touch with how the other half live...
              Adam Roberts
              www.adamroberts.net

Comment

It's a really good release. The new media management is excellent but there's plenty more besides. Here's a nice illustrated guide to the new features: http://provideocoalition.com/mspence...l-cut-pro-10.1

Or lots of information in video form:
                http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html
                Iain Anderson, Apple Certified Trainer
                http://trainingbrisbane.com

Comment

I just hope the .xml integration with Resolve gets a little better - it's causing me serious headaches at the moment - just finished a 2 hour concert film the other day that I ended up having to grade in FCPX because I just could bring it across into Resolve seamlessly enough.

Comment

Thanks for another informative thread telecinese.

I only worked a few days on Final Cut Pro X and find it very easy to use.

I wonder which NLE you prefer for working with native DNG files now that that seems to be one of Final Cuts limitations?

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
                    http://www.oversightentertainment.se

Comment

The new update takes advantage of the graphics from the new Mac Pro

Comment

Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

I have only had the BMCC and Resolve for a few weeks so I still haven't found the ideal workflow. I expect this to improve as I learn Resolve enough to grade effectively in it, I feel there's tremendous potential but I'll need to put in serious time and effort to get there.

For now I'm just shooting ProRes or converting to ProRes in Resolve and doing the real work in FCPX with simple but familiar tools like Neat Image and Film Convert. ProRes and FCPX are a natural combination, of course.

Even now there's a very nice improvement in how gradable the images feel compared to my previous A-camera, the hacked GH2. The image is also less sharpened and feels more 'organic', as it should! With a bit of color finessing and sharpening I can get the BMCC's image to match the GH2's as the perceived resolution is very similar, but because of the weak dynamic range and built-in sharpening it's not always possible to match the GH2 to the BMCC. I expect to get some exciting work done with the BMCC and with the two cameras together in 2014.
                        Last edited by Telecinese; 12-20-2013, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

I have only had the BMCC and Resolve for a few weeks so I still haven't found the ideal workflow. I expect this to improve as I learn Resolve enough to grade effectively in it, I feel there's tremendous potential but I'll need to put in serious time and effort to get there.

For now I'm just shooting ProRes or converting to ProRes in Resolve and doing the real work in FCPX with simple but familiar tools like Neat Image and Film Convert. ProRes and FCPX are a natural combination, of course.

Even now there's a very nice improvement in how gradable the images feel compared to my previous A-camera, the hacked GH2. The image is also less sharpened and feels more 'organic', as it should! With a bit of color finessing and sharpening I can get the BMCC's image to match the GH2's as the perceived resolution is very similar, but because of the weak dynamic range and built-in sharpening it's not always possible to match the GH2 to the BMCC. I expect to get some exciting work done with the BMCC and with the two cameras together in 2014.
                          Look forward to see more of your work, I am am sure that the passion for the visual world together with the dedication that you present here will shine through in whatever project you embark on.

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
                          http://www.oversightentertainment.se

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I'll do my best to have good work to show in the upcoming months.

Comment

I like FCPX, but I find working in after effects/premiere pro to be a better workflow for me. I stull use FCPX sometimes, and I may use it on my doc that I am shooting now. hmm... we shall see!
                              -Michael Beck

Comment

Working...
                              X