BMPCC grid pattern artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMPCC grid pattern artifacts

So I went to test the BMPCC and noticed this grid pattern on one of the clips:

grid3.jpg

It's in the flare on the left of the light at the top of the frame.

So I called Blackmagic and they said other people brought them to their attention and that they are hoping they will be able to resolve this with a firmware update.

Wanted to share this with other since I imagine this is like the black sun. Guess we should stay away from flares especially in low light for now.

Looking a bit "orbie" there at the bottom too...

Comment

Just curious. What was your ISO and shutter angle at the time?

Comment

I noticed this on the Canon 7D several years ago, and some other Canon cameras. Since it wasn't my camera that I shot with, I wasn't able to test extensively whether it would occur only with certain lenses or shooting conditions, or if it is just an encoding artifact. But it only happened very rarely so I didn't give it much attention. How often do you get this problem? Let's hope it can be fixed via firmware and not have to be sent in again for a calibration!

Comment

I agree it's orbie. Even if this is a newer purchase, you might want to try and update the firmware. I had to when I got mine and it was weeks after BM said they fixed the problem. Still lots of older firmware cameras floating around.

Comment

The orbs are not fixed by firmware, you'll need to send it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
              The orbs are not fixed by firmware, you'll need to send it in.
              I was talking about the first issue he has.

Comment

This was shot at ISO 1600 shutter angle 172.8 with a panasonic 14mm 2.5 lens.
                I already have the last firmware 1.4.2 installed.
                I'm not even sure how they would fix the orbs even if I sent the camera back unless they gave me a new one.

Do you guys not get the orbs in similar situations?
                For me the orbs are not nearly as problematic as the grid pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by townio View Post
                  So I went to test the BMPCC and noticed this grid pattern on one of the clips
                  This is a screenshot yes? Do you see the grid after exporting from Resolve?
                  The grid pattern appears in Resolve when the GUI viewer is scaled, but if you make it 1:1, or view out SDI, or render the image out, you shouldn't see this. Please post if you do.
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                    This is a screenshot yes? Do you see the grid after exporting from Resolve?
                    The grid pattern appears in Resolve when the GUI viewer is scaled, but if you make it 1:1, or view out SDI, or render the image out, you shouldn't see this. Please post if you do.
                    Yes this is after export but it is a 720 frame; downscaling from 1080 to 720 and Prores to H264 did exacerbate the problem, but still it shouldn't do this.
                    the original 1080 prores frame looks like this:
                    grid.jpg
                    It is more subtle but it is there and still quite obvious
                    grid2.jpg

I wonder if all the bmpcc will be doing the same in the same conditions, probably yes.
                    Anyone would want to make a test this weekend?

Comment

How big is the original file for this? Could you post the file so i can check it out and send it on to BMD if needed?
                      You can PM a link if you don't want to share publicly. Thanks.
                      Blackmagic Design
                      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

I've seen this in BMCC footage too (1:00): http://vimeo.com/63860004

Comment

I have the same thing on my BMCC. I figure it's normal with situations like this with flare and underexposure at 1600 ISO. If it's not normal I'd like to know because I'm sending my camera in soon to fix the flange distance issue and would like to know if I should point this out to them too.

Here's a frame from the offending footage. Like townio's grab it's very subtle when at 100% but it's definitely there. Is it something that I lose sleep over? No because it's less than an issue than moire for my mind.

CIRCUS LATINO.jpg
                          fluoro.com

Comment

yes of course, the file is about 130MB, it's a short 5 sec clip.

http://www.filedropper.com/blackmagi...10-231839c0002

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                              I've seen this in BMCC footage too (1:00): http://vimeo.com/63860004
                              Wow that 1:00 mark is pretty awful when you consider the quality of the rest of the footage.
                              This is quite disappointing that it happens with the BMCC too and that they still haven't fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X