No announcement yet.

Received an email from BH today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was mentioned in an interview that BMCC users with Resolve 9 would get the 10 upgrade, so it would not be needed to hold back the cameras to wait for the new Resolve to be finished.
    Haavard Helle

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
      The C100 seems a much better solution for *that* style of shooting.
      It is...it really is. And I can't help but wonder how many people are so enamored with BMC price and IQ that they are going to force the square camera into their round workflow. Anyone producing for Youtube and/or general Web delivery should consider the inherent IQ loss. Also, price isn't necessarily what it seems. BMCCs require rigging...my C100 is perfectly usable as it came out of the box (once I add the tripod plate).

I'm still interested in the 4K for my location green screen work but am coming to the conclusion that I can't bring enough light on location for it and remain portable (by myself) through airports. The C100 hasn't let me down on a green screen key yet and I've used 3200 ISO several times to compensate for my feeble lighting. I'm going to hold judgement until I see some footage from the 4K. Have you shot anything with it yet?

Comment

my friend called B&H today and asked about the pocket camera. the rep put him on hold and called BMD. He told him that BMD is shipping the camera from california to b&h today and that he will have his camera in his hands by late next week. lets hope the B&H rep wasnt taking him for a ride.
        https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Comment

Well, we'll have to wait and see if the rep meant business. Hope it's for real.

Comment

Originally posted by vegetableman View Post
            my friend called B&H today and asked about the pocket camera. the rep put him on hold and called BMD. He told him that BMD is shipping the camera from california to b&h today and that he will have his camera in his hands by late next week. lets hope the B&H rep wasnt taking him for a ride.
            Where was your friend in the B&H queue? That might give us some idea of how many PCs they are expecting in the first shipment.

Comment

We've had second hand reports on alleged conversations with major authorized Blackmagic Design sellers being posted on forums for weeks -- and they've been all over the place -- spanning no knowledge to months away to weeks away to the boxes are already sitting in the warehouse.

Don't get excited about anything until it's official from a credible source.

I entirely expect that if Blackmagic had shipped cameras to B&H today -- it would have been mentioned to someone at their event in LA and that someone would have tweeted/posted the news somewhere.

The two most credible sources at this point are B&H and Blackmagic. Blackmagic says they're still on track to ship by the end of July, and B&H said they expect to receive cameras from Blackmagic by the second week of August but that they have no idea what kind of quantity they'll receive. That's where we're at.
              Media Production by Andrew Gupta
              www.andrewgupta.com

Comment

Originally posted by mhood View Post
                Where was your friend in the B&H queue? That might give us some idea of how many PCs they are expecting in the first shipment.
                we both ordered 4/8, but the rep also said that the they WILL have enough cameras in the first shipment to cover all of the preorders.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gupta View Post
                  We've had second hand reports on alleged conversations with major authorized Blackmagic Design sellers being posted on forums for weeks -- and they've been all over the place -- spanning no knowledge to months away to weeks away to the boxes are already sitting in the warehouse.

Don't get excited about anything until it's official from a credible source.

I entirely expect that if Blackmagic had shipped cameras to B&H today -- it would have been mentioned to someone at their event in LA and that someone would have tweeted/posted the news somewhere.

The two most credible sources at this point are B&H and Blackmagic. Blackmagic says they're still on track to ship by the end of July, and B&H said they expect to receive cameras from Blackmagic by the second week of August but that they have no idea what kind of quantity they'll receive. That's where we're at.
                  Well, the LA event starts in about 1 minute. So we'll see.

Comment

we both ordered 4/8, but the rep also said that the they WILL have enough cameras in the first shipment to cover all of the preorders.
                    Wow! No trickle there.

Comment

...the rep also said that the they WILL have enough cameras in the first shipment to cover all of the preorders.
                      I find this hard to believe, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
                        I find this hard to believe, among other things.
                        so do i, i'm just repeating what my friend told me. PeopleCanDream

Comment

Originally posted by mhood View Post
                          ... I'm still interested in the 4K for my location green screen work but am coming to the conclusion that I can't bring enough light on location for it and remain portable (by myself) through airports. The C100 hasn't let me down on a green screen key yet and I've used 3200 ISO several times to compensate for my feeble lighting. I'm going to hold judgement until I see some footage from the 4K. Have you shot anything with it yet?
                          Based on the limited info we have so far, it seems unlikely the BMPC-4K will be as light sensitive as the BMCC. I guess there's a chance it might be on-par, but I think many of us doubt that. We'll have to wait and see.

Especially with green screen, I think it's better to shoot your own tests rather than see what someone else does with a cam. There are so many variables, it just makes sense to shoot the tests yourself.

So, if a BMCC is available to you (borrow or rent), shoot your green screen tests with that, using your typical lighting "budget" & workflow. If you like the result, then further testing may be worthwhile with the BMPC-4K, too, when it's available to you for testing.

But, if it turns out you don't like how the BMCC handles green screen, I have my doubts you'll be happy with the BMPC-4K, at least perhaps in terms of sensitivity & noise. Unless you're able to increase your lighting output or somehow improve your workflow.

The BMPC-4K may have other advantages which could tip the balance in certain situations (resolution, global shutter, color quality and noise/grain after downscaling to 1080 or 720, etc.), so these are things that will have to wait for further hands-on testing.

It's not that tests done by others are useless -- far from it. I definitely like to see what others are able to accomplish. In my experience what's more important and useful to me is what I'm capable of myself, because at the end of the day that's all I've got to work with, sad as that is. :-)
                          Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 07-25-2013, 10:47 AM.
                          www.peterdv.com
                          Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

Did the rep appear to be sober when they said that? :-)
                            www.peterdv.com
                            Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                            X