No more love for the 4K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more love for the 4K?

All this URSA Mini 4.6 and Micro Cinema Camera talk has (obviously)dominated the boards lately. Now, URSA Mini is definitely a better tool in terms of ergonomics, screen, etc... but honestly I find the original 4K image breathtaking. Plus it had a global shutter in a relatively small package, which was amazing. Grab a cheap SSD and go. Sure, it doesn't have the dynamic range of the 4.6k, but that doesn't make the camera useless.

I really really, really wanted a micro. And even though people are saying they are in love with theirs, I still feel shafted that the camera shipped without a global shutter. I'm not bashing BMD, and I also don't wanna hear how so and so company once upon a time also under delivered. 60p though a great addition isn't enough for me to throw down another $995. I think the reason the 4K stood out to me is how clean the image was when you got it right and also the movement in the frame. And these days, I think having a 4K camera is a wise investment.

So I just want to ask...has everyone abandoned this camera? And if that's the consensus, why?
    instagram
    my work

SO they updated the read out speed of the ursa mini 4.6, I wonder if the readout speed of the Micro is any faster than the pocket as well? I know its not going to beat a global shutter, but I wonder with the possibility of a faster readout, if its jello is as noticeable...

Comment

I sold my production 4K for the UK4.6 mainly because I could achieve a similar image with the GH4 unless I shoot in RAW but the production 4K never got 3:1 or 4:1 compression and I would eat up HDD space in RAW. The UM46 is fantastic in prores and the workflow is faster for my projects. Once I purchase a 2nd UM46 I will not be using my GH4s as much.

Comment

I actually nearly pulled the trigger on the BMPC4k. The image is gorgeous.

The size of Micro with MFT lens is so small, once I pick it up I instanly don't want to carry my sigma 18-35 anymore, I can live with 1080 for now so I went for it. Portability is more important than 4k for me the moment, and I wish I can have a 4k Micro Cinema Camera someday

Comment

Completely agree with you, I love my BMPC... it's small on my ronin, it's big and balance on a rig....Of course the audio is shit but now i've got a Zoom F8 and i don't care because it's hight better than FS 5 C3000 audio preamp etc...... it's not a low light cam and then... you stop being lazy and you use light and it's make your image better...And of course i love the skin tone and the motion... so great cam
          Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
          All this URSA Mini 4.6 and Micro Cinema Camera talk has (obviously)dominated the boards lately. Now, URSA Mini is definitely a better tool in terms of ergonomics, screen, etc... but honestly I find the original 4K image breathtaking. Plus it had a global shutter in a relatively small package, which was amazing. Grab a cheap SSD and go. Sure, it doesn't have the dynamic range of the 4.6k, but that doesn't make the camera useless.

I really really, really wanted a micro. And even though people are saying they are in love with theirs, I still feel shafted that the camera shipped without a global shutter. I'm not bashing BMD, and I also don't wanna hear how so and so company once upon a time also under delivered. 60p though a great addition isn't enough for me to throw down another $995. I think the reason the 4K stood out to me is how clean the image was when you got it right and also the movement in the frame. And these days, I think having a 4K camera is a wise investment.

So I just want to ask...has everyone abandoned this camera? And if that's the consensus, why?
          Last edited by matthieu; 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I'm split, on one hand, if the BMPC dropped to $2k or something, part of me says I'd buy it in an instant, it's still a great camera and I prefer SSD's. On the other hand, owning a GH4 already, and the main advantage to being raw on the BMPC, I don't know if I really would.

If the BMPC had higher frame rates I wouldn't hesitate to sell my GH4 and pick one up in an instant. While I think the Ursa's look pretty, I don't need a camera that's fancy, just one that delivers quality of the BMCC/BMPC/BMPCC, with the occasional need for slow motion filming.
            Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

GH4 can not be compare to BMPC just think about skin tone....and cinematic look like...I ve got the both and it's like compare a sportive tourist car to a race car... that the point...

Comment

Originally posted by matthieu View Post
                GH4 can not be compare to BMPC just think about skin tone....and cinematic look like...I ve got the both and it's like compare a sportive tourist car to a race car... that the point...
                Too true.

My BMPC is my A cam on all my own projects. On some network gigs and others my camera choice is dictated, but if I can I shoot BMPC. It's well, well into the black now for the full rig I have. I use the GH4 for special one offs when I need an overcranked shot, it's small and fits into the camera bag well. I've flown all over Alaska and the US now with the BMPC and it keeps on cranking out beautiful images even in horrible weather and locations. I would like to upgrade to an ursa mini at some point, but it's hard when the image is great and it's just a money machine. I really do wish it had compressed raw though, it's the one feature for me that's really really missing.

Comment

Originally posted by matthieu View Post
                  I would agree, I only bought it initially because I was shooting a project where I needed some slow motion shots. Generally, when I'm shooting, If i'm shooting for quality, I use my BMCC and shoot various zoom lengths, when I'm doing quick and dirty (or cheap) projects that have to be shot/turned around quickly, I use the GH4 because I can cheat and just re-crop shots in post.

The only thing that kept me from the BMPC initially was the lack of higher frame rates.
                  Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

The BMPC still has a couple serious advantages:
                    Well lit the image is gorgeous. It really is.
                    Global shutter for action or dance stuff makes it worth the "price" of shooting RAW.
                    Portability and GIMBALS. Far less gimbal is required to fly or jib a BMPC than an URSA Mini.

Just like the Pocket can get you into some shots the Cinema Camera can't - the BMPC can get you into shots that the URSA can't.

This is an instance where the URSA Mini 4k still doesn't totally replace the BMPC.
                    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I love my BMPC. But higher frame rates, better audio (XLR's) and more codec options makes me wanna sell my BMPC for a mini 4K. But I am leaning towards keeping it for now. It is a great image!!!!

Comment

Can I chime in with URSA 4K stuff here or is that a different ballpark?

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                          Can I chime in with URSA 4K stuff here or is that a different ballpark?
                          Since it's the same sensor and is also being neglected (for now) for the Ursa mini I think you are in a similar boat. Of course your boat will eventually be supercharged...just no telling when.
                          Darren Scott
                          Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Bodnar View Post
                            I wonder if the readout speed of the Micro is any faster than the pocket as well?
                            Yes it is a faster, the numbers were posted to a thread on DVXUser but the Pocket is 17.74ms and the Micro Cinema is 13.3ms.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-on-this-issue
                            Blackmagic Design
                            My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

I absolutely love the images I get from the URSA. Yeah it's a pig and eats batteries for days but the images coming from that same 4K sensor are so nice to look at and easy to color. I liken coloring of the different sensors to a PB&J sandwich. One side we have the BMCC sensor, I call it crunchy peanut butter. It's a little hard to get out of the jar and once on the bread, takes a little work to spread out evenly and even sometimes, tears the bread. Now the other side is the 4K sensor. It's the jelly. Comes out of the jar very easily and spreads on nice and evenly. No problems. Now both make a delicious sandwich and I don't like one side over the other, they just take different techniques to spread on differently.

Also might just be me but the more I use the camera, the more DR it seems to give me. Probably just imaging that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X