Brief thoughts and a bit of footage from the URSA Mini 4.6K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roman View Post
    I'll see what I can put together this coming week.

I understand, walk around footage is nice and all, but it is nice to see something that looks narrative with framing, light, a bit of acting etc.
    That would make me insanely happy!

Comment

• OK folks, Here is another bit of demo footage I shot very early on.

Shot in ProRes 422 again, a few shots in UHD, mostly in 1080p. Some Crop sensor mode 120fps, some full sensor 60fps.

In some of the running shots there is some clipping here and there - but not much. Again - all Rolling shutter here.

https://vimeo.com/146834820

One thing I did learn from this shoot - Lens IS on the Canon 24-105 is just not good enough for any HFR filming. It reacts too slowly and introduces a robotic jerk - something which I never saw on 24/25fps footage previously (except in panning shots)
      Tom Majerski
      Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

• Very nice Tom, thanks for sharing again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
          OK folks, Here is another bit of demo footage I shot very early on.

Shot in ProRes 422 again, a few shots in UHD, mostly in 1080p. Some Crop sensor mode 120fps, some full sensor 60fps.

In some of the running shots there is some clipping here and there - but not much. Again - all Rolling shutter here.

This looks amazing! Thanks tom. Really loving the skintones as well.

Comment

• This thread is going to break the Internet.
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

• I was thinking the same th……. (blip)……… (silence).

Comment

• But seriously, thanks everyone for getting some footage out there. The camera geeks of the world (or this forum at least) salute you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                  OK folks, Here is another bit of demo footage I shot very early on.

One thing I did learn from this shoot - Lens IS on the Canon 24-105 is just not good enough for any HFR filming. It reacts too slowly and introduces a robotic jerk - something which I never saw on 24/25fps footage previously (except in panning shots)
                  Nice, noticed the jerk as you say. Quite surprised.

Comment

• Thank you to all the talented testers; we appreciate very much your effort, observations, patience, creativity, generosity, and love for your avocation.

I haven't taken a peek at John Brawley's blog or the official forum today, and I should be off now. Later. So looking forward to the footage John will release. Always delicious and inspirational.

And I hope Frank gets his wish as we know he'd make a stunning short that would befit this new sensor. Either get the man the first release of a production camera or appoint him a tester and get him an amazing unfinished camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                      Thank you to all the talented testers; we appreciate very much your effort, observations, patience, creativity, generosity, and love for your avocation.

I haven't taken a peek at John Brawley's blog or the official forum today, and I should be off now. Later. So looking forward to the footage John will release. Always delicious and inspirational.

And I hope Frank gets his wish as we know he'd make a stunning short that would befit this new sensor. Either get the man the first release of a production camera or appoint him a tester and get him an amazing unfinished camera.
                      Here! Here!

Comment

• Where is 15 stop? Better than alexa ? Bring it to me and we ll test it side by side against alexa mini (14 Stop) Sorry for ruining circle jerk.

Comment

• Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                          Thank you to all the talented testers; we appreciate very much your effort, observations, patience, creativity, generosity, and love for your avocation.

I'm excited to see any footage JB comes up with as well. His stuff from before the 2.5K release still looks amazing to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't had as much time as the other testers to mess around though.
                          Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
                            Where is 15 stop? Better than alexa ? Bring it to me and we ll test it side by side against alexa mini (14 Stop) Sorry for ruining circle jerk.
                            ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
                              Where is 15 stop? Better than alexa ? Bring it to me and we ll test it side by side against alexa mini (14 Stop) Sorry for ruining circle jerk.
                              Hmm, who would say this camera is better than Alexa? It's pretty different in a number of ways. The only way it's similar is that it has a lot of dynamic range, and once proper testing is done to measure that, it wouldn't be surprising to find out it does have as much DR as the Alexa. Everything else though is quite different, it's its own beast.
                              Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman View Post
                                Hmm, who would say this camera is better than Alexa? It's pretty different in a number of ways. The only way it's similar is that it has a lot of dynamic range, and once proper testing is done to measure that, it wouldn't be surprising to find out it does have as much DR as the Alexa. Everything else though is quite different, it's its own beast.
                                It also won't cost $36,000 for the mini body alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X