BlackMagic Cameras and Micro Four Thirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackMagic Cameras and Micro Four Thirds

Micro four thirds lenses have auto distortion profiles which are meant to be electronically corrected by the camera. Do the Blackmagic active MFT cameras do this auto correction, or is the footage optically true?

As far as I know, they do not correct for native MFT lenses.
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

Also, I think when MFT lenses are used on MFT cameras, they only correct when taking JPEG photos, not video. I might be wrong on that though...

Comment

Golden, thank you.

I need a very light normal/wide prime for the S16 sensor..
        Thinking Zuiko 17mm 1.8, Panny 14mm 2.5 or Rokinon 12mm f2. What are your thoughts?

Comment

The thing that worries me is that the GH2 did use auto correct, resulting in brittle detail

Comment

Originally posted by Sage View Post
            Golden, thank you.

Thinking Zuiko 17mm 1.8, Panny 14mm 2.5 or Rokinon 12mm f2. What are you thoughts?
            So will literally everyone who gets the Micro cam and a drone... we're all gonna need something like that soon enough hah. The Zuiko 17mm 1.8 is pretty killer. Great image on that, and easier on the eyes than the Pan 14mm pancake.
            Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

Originally posted by Sage View Post
              Golden, thank you.

Thinking Zuiko 17mm 1.8, Panny 14mm 2.5 or Rokinon 12mm f2. What are your thoughts?
              I to have been looking and testing small lightweight lenses. i'm not using it for a drone, just tired of all the weight on the pocket. I have rented the olympus zukio 17mm and liked it. it has a manual mode ring that stays at the focus when you power off, the panny's reset. It also seems to disengage the auto focus so it's smoother. The panny seems to be a fight. I did also test out the newer panny 15mm and it was good too. I just wish BMC would enable support for the aperture ring. Manual focus was better. The old panny lens's like the 14mm and the 20mm don't have a switch for manual focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
                So will literally everyone who gets the Micro cam and a drone... we're all gonna need something like that soon enough hah. The Zuiko 17mm 1.8 is pretty killer. Great image on that, and easier on the eyes than the Pan 14mm pancake.
                The Zuiko 17 does look ideal. I just discovered the Panny 15mm 1.7, and that does seem more compelling than the 14mm.

Probably best to go with the Zuiko as the more trusted option. Four ounces? That'll do nicely!

Comment

Perhaps the new cams will usher in a firmware update to allow the aperture ring? So is the newer Panny comparable with the Zuiko (which do you prefer of the two)?

Comment

it was 50/50 really. I think it's going to come down to firmware and what is supported. if you look at all the BMC photos on the site, they are using the older panny designs lenses. But they have the zukio stuff there as well.

Comment

If you're gonna go for something lightweight and small, I think the Panasonic 15mm F1.7 is the nicest of the bunch.

If most of your shooting will be in day-light, the Panasonic 14mm F2.5 and Olympus 17mm F2.8 can be had for real cheap via eBay.

Personally, I'm a very big fan of Nikon AIS lenses. I also don't really like going past 35mm (full-frame equivalent) for my wide shots. For aerial shots, I like to be around 28mm (full-frame equivalent).

I'm planning on grabbing the Nikon 20mm F2.8 AIS, or Nikon 20mm F2.8D, and boosting them via my x0.58 Speed Booster; so 20 x .058 = 11.6mm. Then 11.6mm x 2.88 = 33.4mm (full-frame equivalent).

Or, I'm considering grabbing the new Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 instead, and boosting that. Comes in at $600USD. Weights 1.23 lb (560grams). Not bad for a 18-34mm (full-frame equivalent) F1.6.

Comment

Working...
                      X