BMCC4K? New Fairchild Sensor - Same DR of the Pocket and Cinema, but in 4.5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay for an actual spec sheet!

While full well capacity is higher, read noise is also higher at 2 e- rms. (The BMCC is 1.5 and the Pocket is 1.2, in comparison).

So, you have to divide 40,000/2 = 20,000, of which the 20log(20,000) is 86dB or 14.2 stops.

However, the full well capacity is listed as GREATER THAN 40,000 and read noise is LESS THAN 2, so the difference most likely adds up to the 88dB claimed.

Also, global shutter mode is listed at less than 5 e- rms. 40,000/5 = 8,000, and 20log(8,000) is 78dB or 12.9 stops. However, like above, we can assume that it's going to be greater than this, so it will most likely be over 13 stops in global.

Comment

Sounds like there could be so new BMD camera at NAB. I hope they don't just put it in the URSA because I don't like the form factor. Maybe a pocket 2 ?

Comment

Put this sensor in something like the Canon XA-10, and my obsolescence is obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by townio View Post
          Sounds like there could be so new BMD camera at NAB. I hope they don't just put it in the URSA because I don't like the form factor. Maybe a pocket 2 ?
          I haven't been keeping up with this, but was Ursa considered a success? I don't know anyone who's shot on one, or even seen one in the field.
          Director / Cinematographer / VFX

Website - www.ryanlightbourn.net
          Twitter - twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
          Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
          IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871

Comment

I work for one of the three "major" TV networks and we just shot some commercials on the URSA for an upcoming show.

Comment

Does anyone know the difference between the LTN4625A and Blackmagic's version of it? I found an intriguing post elsewhere about an MST4625A: "Fairchild did offer its new Maestro MST4625 exclusive to BlackMagic, which is very similar to LTN4625A for machine vision . . . "

Comment

New Fairchild Sensor

Been wondering this myself. But yeah, I think we're being left in the dark on purpose. We're not going to know anything unless Blackmagic (or Fairchild) cough up the information, and that's gonna be a tall order on account of the tens of millions of dollars that are at stake.

So all we can really say at the present is that what most of us already assume based on Grant's statements: that Blackmagic paid Fairchild to make modifications to the LTN4625A for the purpose of augmenting the sensor's quality and importance to the world of filmmaking.

Comment

I think a lot can be "guess-worked" from what's been posted and said by BMD already.

"Fairchild did offer its new Maestro MST4625 exclusive to BlackMagic, which is very similar to LTN4625A for machine vision . . . "

Combine that with Grant Petty saying BMD spent millions and a couple of years on this new sensor development, and it seems like BMD had input into a sensor design (I've read others saying things like the CFA design by BMD) made by Fairchild that also cost BMD millions to make exclusive to them, but there's the LTN4625A for MACHINE VISION. The LTN could even be the same sensor with BMD's modifications, but can only be used by another company for a machine vision camera (science/medical/etc) so not a "threat" to BMD's market (digital cinema/video cameras).

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Abrams View Post
                    The LTN could even be the same sensor with BMD's modifications, but can only be used by another company for a machine vision camera (science/medical/etc) so not a "threat" to BMD's market (digital cinema/video cameras).
                    Such a limitation is improbable. The sensors in the BMCC and the Pocket are, like the LTN4625A, scientific/industrial CMOS sensors, yet BMD adapted them for digital-cinema purposes. I seriously doubt BAE/Fairchild will contractually prohibit the LTN's use in a digital-cinema cameramade by a company other than BMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X