Short Film: The Indians Revenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Film: The Indians Revenge

My 14 year old son directed his first movie. Since it is for a youth film competition my help was allowed but limited. This was also my first time helping with something like this. My hat is off to all you people who do this all the time-it was a lot of work.

Shot on the BMCC EF
    Mostly used the Canon 17-55 2.8
    Tripod or monopod one or two shots hand held
    Audio: Rode NTG3 to SD Mixpre D to camera
    Edited and graded in Sony Vegas

[_ATTACH=CONFIG]6616[/ATTACH]

One quick behind the scenes shot. And a few more notes:
    The movie was shot in ProRes
    The mono pod was used as a stabilizer in the moving shots.
    Any other questions or comments are welcome.
    Attached Files

Comment

just fyi, embedding has been disabled for the video.

Comment

My son and I were hoping to get some feedback. I am proud of what he did, but we want to improve. So we would like to hear what you liked and what we could have done better. Thanks for taking the time.

Comment

Off the top of my head, better casting.

Not sure if you or your son went to Film School, but the #1 thing My Professor taught me was casting. Forget about if the actor knew how to read the script or not, it was did this person fit the role and was believable. Now if you're going for a school play then I understand and it works, maybe even cable tv network shows marketed towards teens, but for cinema and "real" I think that's what this picture lacked. The indian being white and wearing a wig does not make it believable at all, you need to suspend disbelief. Once that is broken so is the picture.

I only scene it once honestly and that's what I got from it. You need to make your story believable, and in my humble opinion that is your first problem... Others may share their thoughts as well.

One thing that I do applaud you for is taking the time to shoot and creating something, that in it self is good, real good. In order though to make myself and others engage in your story though it needs to be able to compete with other films in the genre. I suggest you and your son find a similar movie and try to replicate certain scenes, that is a good start.

Peace

Comment

Thanks for taking the time. That was very helpful.

Comment

Yep. if your son wants to be a director then he needs to start thinking about the actors and getting a performance out of them. If your actors just blindly regurgitate the dialogue without even pausing where periods are, it makes it kind of hard to accomplish anything else. Unless you're Christopher Walken. It looked great though and the shots were where they needed to be.

I'm guilty of not getting the best out of actors too. I get so caught up with making the day and 500 other things, I sometimes miss a poor performance and it comes back and bites me on the ass. It's a hard thing to direct, operate and gaffe while still maintaining emotion and purpose from your talent. Once I figure it out, I'll let ya know!! jk....I'll never figure it out

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is much appreciated. Just a little more info: My son had a more native American looking person cast for the role and he moved out of state the week before the shoot on short notice. We have not been to film school, although we have watched some video training on it. My background in video is more corporate. My son, experienced what you described as far as being a distracted director. Besides having little to no experience directing he also was also trying to do it while either behind the camera or operating the boom-pole, which was also a first for him. During the campfire scene he dipped the boom in the shot a couple of times and I did not notice until we got to the edit bay. Thankfully he made us get some other shots, that I did not want to get as it was the last shot for the movie and I was tired, but they saved the edit.

Some additional lighting notes: All lighting was done using the flashlights that I bought from Costco (there is a post somewhere about them). They have a zoom lens that goes from wide to spot. This came in great at the camp fire scene as we just put a orange gel on them and had a couple of volunteers keep them on the actors face.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X