P4K Footage "Seoul Zoo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4K Footage "Seoul Zoo"

I was privileged to receive the new Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K ahead of official release to film! I will be filming a lot of content with this camera. Meanwhile here is a day at Seoul Zoo!

RAW 4:1
    ISO 400, 3200
    MFT Panasonic Lumix 12-35 f2.8 II lens (Shot at f2.8~f8)
    Samsung T5 SSD through USB-C
    All shots handheld

Like many others that are interested in this camera, I was very curious about its performance. How does it handle the dynamic range? How is the highlight roll-off and the shadows? How about the color rendition and motion? How about moire and what about low-light and noise performance? At the same time though, I was very excited about the mobility and functionality of the camera. So before rigging the camera with any accessories and heavy cine lenses for produced shots, I wanted to check out the camera at its bare minimum: the camera, batteries, a modern standard range lens and a SSD to record on all in a small camera bag. Lastly, I wanted to check out the footprint of the camera when filming in public. Does it grab unwanted attention? The one place that was perfect for testing all those parameters was the zoo on a sunny crowded day. I did not want to do a professional documentary style shot with telephoto lenses, tripods, stabilizers and NDs. Instead, I wanted to see how the camera works as a tool for a creative traveler or video logger, just using with the lens internal image stabilization.

I felt right at home with the operating system, as it is just a revised version of the Ursa Mini’s excellent and easy to navigate OS. The shortcut buttons on the camera are on point and made my life much easier. What I did not expect though was how light the camera felt and how tight the grip was on my hand as I carried the camera around the large zoo for hours without the need to rest or feeling any tiredness on my hands. Lastly, I was a little worried about how the screen would be under the bright sunlight but with the brightness set at 100% I haven’t had any problems with it.

The footprint of the camera between thousands of people was zero as nobody seemed alarmed. Filming high quality 4K Raw 60fps professional content in such a crowded place without a heavy and large rig was a first and a unique experience. It blended perfectly fine between other people that were simply taking photos with their phones and consumer digital cameras. There were no questions from the zoo security something that would be certain if I was turning up with a typical cinema camera.

The zoo offered plenty of dramatic sceneries with very high dynamic range. I was pleasantly surprised to find a wheel at the tip of my right index finger that can electronically change the aperture. I could therefore adjust the aperture of the lenses to compensate for exposure changes as easy as a cine lens. I have used the low native ISO400 for all the exterior shots. After adjustment in the RAW tab in post-production the effective ISO ended up at about ISO100~ISO400. One of my main concerns was of course the low-light performance. I have used the high native ISO3200 for all the interior shots – the parrots, the waterfall etc. In my opinion, the image is very clean and the noise performance is in par with top cinema cameras. This capability in combination with the high bitrates of RAW and ProRes and the lack of in-camera processing (such as denoise) produces a very detailed and clean image even in dark enviroments. Adding the small footprint to the combination, this camera is one of a kind.

I was also worried of how well the advertised recording to external SSDs would work as I didn’t have any CFAST cards. I found out that the way the USB-C connector is made, it will not unclick on its own and although not that aesthetically pleasing, it is in fact possible to record just fine with the SSD hanging over. That said, I used Velcro tape to stick the SSD on the top of the camera and it worked like a charm.

When I brought the footage in Resolve it took me some time to find something that works for my style of coloring. It has been the same though with every new camera and after some time of getting used to the character of the image I could tweak it to my liking. After trying many techniques, what worked the best was the simplest thing: I have set contrast to 1.2 and Saturation to 70 and the image looked gorgeous out of the box! From there on I used my common techniques and the RAW tab settings to adjust the image as required.

To me, this first test was successful in many ways. Except confirming the practicality and mobility of the camera, I could see how the sensor responds to different conditions and situations. I will be happy to use the camera next in commercial shots and see how it performs with cine style lenses in a controlled environment.

The "rig"
    41067146_10154939213012168_6259807240694267904_n.jpg

I am wondering how blackmagic chooses the pocket 4K testers. I am probably too late now, but would like to volenteer to shoot a video with it

Comment

Does 4k RAW (1:1) work with the T5 SSD? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Seanzzxx View Post
        Does 4k RAW (1:1) work with the T5 SSD? Thanks for sharing your experience!
        Yes. Up to 48fps officially.

Comment

Oh snap, that's AWESOME news!

EDIT: Just curious, what lenses did you use?
          EDIT EDIT: I can't read, it's the Panny 12-35 2.8.
          Last edited by Seanzzxx; 09-05-2018, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the footage!
            Álex Montoya on IMDB
            https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I was planning to buy a relatively cheap Transcend 256GB CFast card, but that Samsung T5 SSD is basically half the price for twice the storage. Oh, decisions, decisions...

Joey Knox said battery life was excellent. Can you confirm that? (Maybe it's his shooting style that made it last so long, it seems to surpass BlackMagic's claim by a wide margin)
              My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                Thanks for sharing!

I was planning to buy a relatively cheap Transcend 256GB CFast card, but that Samsung T5 SSD is basically half the price for twice the storage. Oh, decisions, decisions...

Joey Knox said battery life was excellent. Can you confirm that? (Maybe it's his shooting style that made it last so long, it seems to surpass BlackMagic's claim by a wide margin)
                I've shot downhill mountain bike events before - for each location my camera was only on for 2-3 minutes at a time, then it's hiking to the next spot. So that's how you're battery is gonna last a long time. An hour of recording time can be a lot for events where your subject is only going to be near/in front of you for seconds at a time at each location.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Battery life: Little less than 1 hour per battery as I had the screen at 100% brightness. All my batteries are authentic Canon LP-E6 (13Wh) bought used. I had another shot with a Sony BP-U60 (114.5Wh) rigged and connected through dummy battery. I had the camera on for the entire shot for about 4 hours and the battery lost about 50%. So in general I think we are talking about 12~14Wh per hour with brightness at 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by pidulgi View Post
                    Yes. Up to 48fps officially.
                    Ah, I hadn't seen the 48fps limitation anywhere before. That's unfortunate.

Comment

Battery life: Little less than 1 hour per battery as I had the screen at 100% brightness. All my batteries are authentic Canon LP-E6 (13Wh) bought used. I had another shot with a Sony BP-U60 (114.5Wh) rigged and connected through dummy battery. I had the camera on for the entire shot for about 4 hours and the battery lost about 50%. So in general I think we are talking about 12~14Wh per hour with brightness at 100%.
                      So a Sony np-f970 would be roughly 3.5 hours, the bp-u with a regulated dummy might he the better option then although more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by tyger11 View Post
                        Ah, I hadn't seen the 48fps limitation anywhere before. That's unfortunate.
                        Don't think it's a camera limitation. This disk simply doesn't have the bandwidth for that. You can do 4K 60 fps at RAW 3:1 and everything below. Perhaps other media can hit loseless 60fps.

Comment

Thanks! I'll get five LP-E6 batteries and that should be enough for what I shoot
                          My YouTube channel

Comment

Thanks! I'll get five LP-E6 batteries and that should be enough for what I shoot
                            If you don't want to go off-brand, I highly recommend Used genuine LP-E6 from eBay (Hong Kong, China or such). They go for $13~20 a piece and you can rest assured they won't blow up (exaggerated but well it happens). All the batteries I received were good like new and genuine. There is also the one that comes with the camera. It's a little larger in capacity with 14.8Wh.

Comment

thanks pidulgi
                              can you give me information of the crop factor in 4k an also in 1080
                              do you test autofocus and what you think

Comment

Working...
                              X