No announcement yet.

Some Grading Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You won't go to jail or face calumny if you use a LUT -- lots of professional graders do.

You can get perfectly natural results with these shots, using the standard simple raw procedure. In the raw tab, select "clip" then BMD Film color and gamma. Then create a few empty nodes and place the BMD film v2 LUT on the last one. Then go to the first node and adjust levels and contrast. You'll also have to reduce saturation, if you don't want eye-popping color.

Takes all of 30 seconds and it's a decent, accurate starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
      You won't go to jail or face calumny if you use a LUT -- lots of professional graders do.
      I'm sure they do, I'm saying if you want to learn the best way is to do it yourself. The BMD 709 LUT V2 is actually pretty good but the transform in the raw tab is junk, you'd think they would be the same. Here's the same shot with the 709 raw tab transform, the 709 V2 LUT, and my matrix.

Rec709 Colorspace.jpg
      Rec 709 Lut V2.jpg
      Matrix Correction.jpg

Comment

image.jpg
        image.jpg
        Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
        http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
        www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Comment

i do like the color, andrew. i went for a fairly basic natural look.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
            I The BMD 709 LUT V2 is actually pretty good but the transform in the raw tab is junk, you'd think they would be the same.
            Yeah, the 709 transform in the raw tab is pretty bad, don't know why it's so different from the 3d LUT. It also has the unfortunate result of permanently clipping detail below 0 and above 100, which is avoided by putting the LUT on the last node.

Comment

Working...
            X