No announcement yet.

Ursa Mini 4.6k PL & Alexa footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used the 4K sensor since I sold the URSA last summer besides a quick project with the 4K URSA Mini earlier this year.

If the 4K now looks like the 4.6K then I probably won't like it. (I'm now browsing 'latest' 4.6K and 4K videos on Vimeo.)

But I also think a sensor is still going to have its own characteristics.

Do you personally think all 4K cameras now look like the 4.6K cameras? Because I wouldn't believe that a FW update could do that.

Comment

The first video that popped up for the 4.6K was Bloom's footage. Graded then ungraded. Yea, my opinion hasn't changed much.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        If the 4K now looks like the 4.6K then I probably won't like it.
        So being that we've seen here out of camera the 4.6K has VERY similar color to the Alexa, you don't like Alexa color either? You like what the 4K used to be more than Alexa? Didn't most people hate on the look of the 4K when it first came out? When did that change?

Comment

The first video that popped up for the 4.6K was Bloom's footage. Graded then ungraded. Yea, my opinion hasn't changed much.
          Well I haven't seen the 4K look any better than this color wise and Roman said this is just 709 so no color tweaks:

And I played with the DNG's too and they seem great to me. What are you seeing in this video or DNG's that you don't like in terms of color?

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?17...l=1#post214688

The videos from the start of this thread look great too, but then maybe if you don't like Alexa color either then I get it.

Comment

If you want an Alexa look on your UM46, pop a 2 UltraCon Filter in front of it.
            Alexa uses the same trick, but internally.
            This is as close as you can get to an Alexa.
            Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

The magician reveals the trick. A little less mystery in the world now.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Abrams View Post
                So being that we've seen here out of camera the 4.6K has VERY similar color to the Alexa, you don't like Alexa color either? You like what the 4K used to be more than Alexa? Didn't most people hate on the look of the 4K when it first came out? When did that change?
                How much content is filmed with the Alexa across the globe? Two final products shot with the same camera can look very different.

A few people (thank you for the tests) matched the 4.6K to an Alexa in a couple of scenes, so what? I've seen many tests of various cameras closely matching.

The Alexa deserves to be the gold standard, for sure. But I'm currently doing some research on the Varicam LT and I am already hearing: 'closest thing I've seen to an Alexa', 'Alexa skintones', 'Alexa highlight roll-off'.

Regardless, I think the 4.6K has its own look and that's perfectly fine.

Hating or loving a product because of opinions you have formed over the course of your career is okay. It's one of the attributes of growing as a professional.

Comment

Two final products shot with the same camera can look very different.
                  So are you saying you don't like the Alexa color in these shots, but you think it's down to how it was shot and graded rather than the camera? But for the 4.6K its the camera?

A few people (thank you for the tests) matched the 4.6K to an Alexa in a couple of scenes, so what? I've seen many tests of various cameras closely matching.
                  Well here it was said no effort was put into matching them, and if they did then it could be easily matched. So we're just seeing how close they really are.

I guess what I'm really getting at here is so many people point to the Alexa as a benchmark but they probably don't really know how it looks out of camera. Instead it's the high budget super well shot and very well graded material we look at, but we also know you can also get this from it which Zak has referenced before "Friends with Kids"

So seeing the Alexa can be shot bad and color look terrible, seeing it can look great, and seeing 4.6K is very close in color and seeing some good stuff from it, it seems to be reasonable to conclude the 4.6K suffers more from the inexperienced users who would also make Alexa look like the above image than the camera itself.

I think recognizing the difference between the two takes experience, and it goes right past some people.

Comment

The first post said the shots were graded. "The grade was done quickly" provides me no information. I don't really care for the pastel look in the daytime. Nighttime shot doesn't bother me.

Here's the latest video from ARRI's Vimeo page titled, "The Looks of Alexa".

https://vimeo.com/163259873

A lot of that footage has that classic Alexa look to me. Image manipulation is a big factor in all of this, but I haven't seen anything look like that from the 4.6K.

The 4.6K footage looks pastel and/or plastic.

Is it just me?

Comment

The first post said the shots were graded. "The grade was done quickly" provides me no information. I don't really care for the pastel look in the daytime. Nighttime shot doesn't bother me.

Here's the latest video from ARRI's Vimeo page titled, "The Looks of Alexa".

https://vimeo.com/163259873

A lot of that footage has that classic Alexa look to me. Image manipulation is a big factor in all of this, but I haven't seen anything look like that from the 4.6K.

Is it just me?
                      Well, ALL this Alexa footage was graded by the best in the business... and so far all the URSA Mini 4.6k footage has...well.. NOT been.

What I would really love to see is some UM4.6 footage shot with Master Primes and then graded by someone with skills on this level. I'd like to see what kinds of images can be created THEN.
                      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                        What I would really love to see is some UM4.6 footage shot with Master Primes and then graded by someone with skills on this level. I'd like to see what kinds of images can be created THEN.
                        Me too, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                          Well, ALL this Alexa footage was graded by the best in the business... and so far all the URSA Mini 4.6k footage has...well.. NOT been.

Like the first demo footage ? This was shot mostly MPs for the first scenes and you can download the files.

The 3.3 was also a significant update in terms of internal colour processing. Under the hood they changed a few things that an experienced colourist should notice.

JB.

Comment

This looks pastel and/or plastic to you? I haven't seen anything from the 4K that's any better color wise and this to me has far more color depth.

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                            Thanks to Roman for posting these DNG's :

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...t-DNGs-for-you

This was just a quick grade and I know i'm probably the most biased one can be, but i really do find the 4.6K so easy to grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                              If you want an Alexa look on your UM46, pop a 2 UltraCon Filter in front of it.
                              Alexa uses the same trick, but internally.
                              This is as close as you can get to an Alexa.
                              Are you referring to a tiffen?

Comment

Originally posted by parkerj View Post
                                Are you referring to a tiffen?
                                Yes. The UltraCon series of diffusion filters is a TIFFEN product. Good stuff. Very widely used.
                                Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                                Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                                Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Working...
                                X