Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all2human View Post
    Hi John,

Apologies for the delay-- I was traveling and I'm just catching up.

The reason I nearly max-out the Steadicam using the BMCC is because I generally fly it (and the BMPCC) nearly fully rigged-- meaning, I have it on a Wooden Camera rails kit, with a V-lock battery attached to the rails in the back, and a quick release plate which allows me to switch between Steadicam, hand-held and tripod really quickly, without having to add components to the camera in between. I'll try to dig up a photo of the BMCC as I used to fly it.

As for sound, the teaser above only contains sound recorded on location with the Sennheiser lavs. Any differences in quality are due to the subjects adding layers of clothing during filming, thereby muffling the audio a bit. Usually, I am able to go in and readjust the mics so they're not buried in layers of clothing but, this time, we didn't have a chance to stop the action and readjust. Here's an example of a project I filmed and recorded using the Oktava and the Sennheiser mics on location. There are a couple instances where we had to use a lav (at 1:24) due to time constraints, but most of it is the Oktava. It's a good example of the difference in quality between the two (although, to be fair, the lav there was in a very small room full of echo and strong air conditioning we couldn't turn off).

https://vimeo.com/106207815

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Fabián
    Hi Fabian,

Don't worry about it you're a busy guy

You don't power your BMCC/BMPCC with the battery that's on the Steadicam? Im interested in investing on the Pilot Im just wondering if I can power both the monitor and the camera with 1 battery.

I thought the Sennheiser lavs on the SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge trailer is pretty good and I was wondering how you pulled it off since you're a two person crew.

Thanks for all the info Fabian! Continue the great work!
    John

Comment

Originally posted by Retrospective View Post
      Hi Fabian,

Don't worry about it you're a busy guy

You don't power your BMCC/BMPCC with the battery that's on the Steadicam? Im interested in investing on the Pilot Im just wondering if I can power both the monitor and the camera with 1 battery.

I thought the Sennheiser lavs on the SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge trailer is pretty good and I was wondering how you pulled it off since you're a two person crew.

Thanks for all the info Fabian! Continue the great work!
      John
      Thanks for the vote of confidence, John!

Yeah, the G3 lavs are really fantastic in the field, I only wish we could have a dedicated recordist with a boom more often Something I forgot to emphasize is that we replaced the mics that come with the G3 kits with Sennheiser's MKE2 mics, which I find (in my limited experience with them) not only sound better but are easier to hide under clothes as they are a smaller profile.

As for the Pilot, it's a great rig but mine is older (without the HD-SDI). You can certainly power the camera and accessories using a single battery (the one on the sled) but having the extra battery at the top helps to add weight (a good thing) and to quickly move onto handheld. This way, I have two V-mount batteries on the rig at all times, which I can swap any time when one runs out. This is great when we're out in more remote locations and I need to switch batteries quickly.

Here's a closer look at the rig (essentially the same setup for the BMCC). You can even see my audio setup-- a bit rudimentary!

IMG_0001.jpg

Cheers!

Fabián
      Fabián Aguirre
      Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
      The Understory

Comment

Originally posted by all2human View Post
        Thanks for the vote of confidence, John!

Yeah, the G3 lavs are really fantastic in the field, I only wish we could have a dedicated recordist with a boom more often Something I forgot to emphasize is that we replaced the mics that come with the G3 kits with Sennheiser's MKE2 mics, which I find (in my limited experience with them) not only sound better but are easier to hide under clothes as they are a smaller profile.

As for the Pilot, it's a great rig but mine is older (without the HD-SDI). You can certainly power the camera and accessories using a single battery (the one on the sled) but having the extra battery at the top helps to add weight (a good thing) and to quickly move onto handheld. This way, I have two V-mount batteries on the rig at all times, which I can swap any time when one runs out. This is great when we're out in more remote locations and I need to switch batteries quickly.

Here's a closer look at the rig (essentially the same setup for the BMCC). You can even see my audio setup-- a bit rudimentary!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20009[/ATTACH]

Cheers!

Fabián
        Thank you for all the information you have given! Best of luck!

Comment

Gorgeous gorgeous footage. Super impressed with how well you captured the feeling of being there. Kudos!!!!

I'm also based in Mill Valley... we ought to meet up at the Depot for lunch one day. I'll send you a note.

Comment

Originally posted by yostopia View Post
            Gorgeous gorgeous footage. Super impressed with how well you captured the feeling of being there. Kudos!!!!

I'm also based in Mill Valley... we ought to meet up at the Depot for lunch one day. I'll send you a note.
            Hey Gary,

Thanks for your kind note! Small world (and even smaller town)-- I bet we've walked past each other more than once. Let's make that lunch happen for sure!

Cheers,

Fabián
            Fabián Aguirre
            Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
            The Understory

Comment

Working...
            X