Loving the BMPC 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving the BMPC 4K

Don't know why I took so long to get this camera. It's definitely a different beast than the pocket and BMCC and it has it's limitations. But the image... oh man.

This is a quick test I grabbed walking around downtown los angeles. Just the camera, the 28mm 1.8, and Fader ND. The grade was quick and dirty just to see what it can do.

There's a part of me that wished I went for the URSA 4K but the deal on this was too good to pass up.

https://vimeo.com/170262754

Some ungraded footage. Uploaded in 4K:
    https://vimeo.com/170505916

And some frame grabs from a project I've been shooting:

adorey_1.2.1.jpgjune_1.3.2.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by misterkofa; 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM.
    instagram
    my work

Lovely! Looks great.

Comment

Awesome. Frames looking dope.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's just the camera doing it's job.
        instagram
        my work

Comment

Yeah, I was diggin' on these when you posted up on Instagram. Looks fantastic.
          I may start playing around with some 4k when I stop buying lights lol. If I can score a deal on a good used BMPC 4K I may go that route, or I'll just drop money on a new Ursa 4K.
          Your grabs are defiantly giving me confidence in that sensor.

How is the low light comparison to a Pocket with a speed booster on it, and booth using a 18-35?
          Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
            Thanks guys. It's just the camera doing it's job.
            Hahaha!

Yeah, sure. Riiiiiight!

Well Kofa, you definitely get points for never letting your ego get out of control.
            You're an artist, man.
            I've sure as hell seen enough to spot one when I see one.

Your sh*t gonna be on a whole new level now.
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
              How is the low light comparison to a Pocket with a speed booster on it, and booth using a 18-35?
              Not even close.
              Even without the Speedbooster the Pocket would be a little better.

A Pocket with a Speedbooster and an F/1.8 lens like that sigma gets you into the league of the full-frame low-light cameras like the Canon 5D.

Pocket with the Booster and the Sigma and I can shoot outdoors at night (in the City) with no extra lights and actually get professionally usable footage.
              Sure - you'll hit it with a little Noise Reduction - but that's not an issue. The issue is "did you get enough of an exposure for the colors to render correctly."
              Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
              Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
              Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                Not even close.
                Even without the Speedbooster the Pocket would be a little better.

A Pocket with a Speedbooster and an F/1.8 lens like that sigma gets you into the league of the full-frame low-light cameras like the Canon 5D.

Pocket with the Booster and the Sigma and I can shoot outdoors at night (in the City) with no extra lights and actually get professionally usable footage.
                Sure - you'll hit it with a little Noise Reduction - but that's not an issue. The issue is "did you get enough of an exposure for the colors to render correctly."
                Yeah I've gotten great results in the past from the Pocket with speed booster. That's a reason I wanted to get a feel for that 4K sensor when comparing the two. So I'm assuming that a jump to S35 sensor size isn't really going to give you 1.5 of a stop in exposure?
                I think we have both championed on here the Pocket's lowlight capabilities, great camera all around.

Edit: I forgot that the BMPC has a 400 native ASA, so The bmpc is so rating on a higher setting out of the box.
                Last edited by Timothy Cook; 06-11-2016, 08:59 PM.
                Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post

Your sh*t gonna be on a whole new level now.
                  That's always the goal. Definitely an upgrade, even though the pocket is no slouch.

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
                  Yeah, I was diggin' on these when you posted up on Instagram. Looks fantastic.
                  I may start playing around with some 4k when I stop buying lights lol. If I can score a deal on a good used BMPC 4K I may go that route, or I'll just drop money on a new Ursa 4K.
                  Your grabs are defiantly giving me confidence in that sensor.

Thanks Timothy.

DP is right. The 4K is definitely NOT a low light camera. Grant's voice echoes in my head every time I"m tempted to jump to 800 ASA. Now, it doesn't mean you can't pull this camera out at night. Which is why I just got back from test shooting at Santa Monica pier.

From my testing, you can get away with certain situations but you need fast glass and some light.

Here's a before and after. Top is in camera and bottom is after slight adjustments.

Untitled_1b.jpg

and another shot (adjusted)

yellowhood.jpg

The thing with this camera... is that the footage doesn't need to be graded really. Just increase saturation, apply a curve to taste... and done.
                  instagram
                  my work

Comment

Beautiful. Now I am torn between getting a BMPC or the UM4K.

MK, on those night grabs how fast of a lens were they (without losing the depth) and how much light did you need? Was that at natural ISO too?

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
                      Don't know why I took so long to get this camera. It's definitely a different beast than the pocket and BMCC and it has it's limitations. But the image... oh man.

This is a quick test I grabbed walking around downtown los angeles. Just the camera, the 28mm 1.8, and Fader ND. The grade was quick and dirty just to see what it can do.

There's a part of me that wished I went for the URSA 4K but the deal on this was too good to pass up.
                      What did you pay? If you bought used, what to look out for?

Comment

Looks great, but did you also use Twixtor or something? It looks like somewhat slow-mo in parts.

**Edit** Saw you said you used optical flow to slow down. What shutter angle and frame rate did you shoot at?
                        Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                          Beautiful. Now I am torn between getting a BMPC or the UM4K.
                          Ha ha ha, I've been there my friend. At the end of the day... this was the deciding factor that pushed me towards the BMPC4K:

mecamera.jpg

Can't do this with an URSA Mini.

Originally posted by EYu View Post

MK, on those night grabs how fast of a lens were they (without losing the depth) and how much light did you need? Was that at natural ISO too?

Thanks. Shot with a Canon 28mm at 1.8. There was light bouncing all over the place from the ferris wheel and the chaos that is the SM pier. Shot at 400ASA.

But I'm determined to explore 800ASA with this camera.
                          instagram
                          my work

Comment

Originally posted by BJNY View Post
                            What did you pay? If you bought used, what to look out for?
                            I paid about 60% the price of a new one, and it came with an SSD and small external battery, but no resolve. I got lucky. But the general prices I was seeing was about $2k.

Originally posted by marshallbaker View Post
                            Looks great, but did you also use Twixtor or something? It looks like somewhat slow-mo in parts.

**Edit** Saw you said you used optical flow to slow down. What shutter angle and frame rate did you shoot at?
                            Just used optical flow in premiere and slowed footage down to about 50-60%. Shoot at 180 shutter, 30 fps. I never ever change my shutter angle really.
                            instagram
                            my work

Comment

I call shenanigans! Where's the battery on that lightweight rig? Certainly you didn't go internal the whole time...?

Comment

Working...
                              X