Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot some stuff while everyone was out having fun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by mcnys View Post
    nice work!!! was the sigma speedboosted?
    Yessir. Always.
    instagram
    my work

    Comment


    • #17
      Gorgeous. Looks amazing Kofa.
      Darren Scott
      Freelance Director/Director of Photography


      https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
        Ha ha. Thanks guys. I try.

        Here's a quickly thrown together edit for now. Still tweaking it so any comments welcome.


        https://vimeo.com/138683046

        Very sweet tone poem, Kofa. Absolutely right, it's the moments in life that haunt your memory from the moment you saw your first love to the moment of your last breath.

        Comment


        • #19
          Nice job, Kofa.

          Comment


          • #20
            You be making the pocket sing bro!! Are you boosting the pocket? Or you rocking standard dummy adapters? What you using to transform the color space (Lut or Raw controls)? Your contrast is perfect not to heavy not to light

            Comment


            • #21
              Hey Kofa,

              This looks awesome, really nice looking footage.

              A few questions:
              -Are you using the metabones speedbooster?
              -what ir and nd filters do you use?
              -do you use a certain lut?
              -do you use an external monitor?
              -what SD cards do you use/which ones do you recommend?
              -which batteries do you use?
              -have you ever had any issues with the Pocket - dropping frames, or corrupt cards?
              -how is the onboard audio - have you ever recorded scratch audio with a videomic pro?

              I'm thinking of picking up two Pockets for a big doc project, instead of packing around a bmcc and bmpc.

              Thanks!
              www.wyattvisuals.com

              Comment


              • #22
                Beautifully shot Kofa!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Abstrak View Post
                  You be making the pocket sing bro!! Are you boosting the pocket? Or you rocking standard dummy adapters? What you using to transform the color space (Lut or Raw controls)? Your contrast is perfect not to heavy not to light
                  Thanks bruv. Yes, it's pretty much always boosted except for when I use the 14mm 2.5 (which wasn't used here). But still gives me the same look.



                  Originally posted by wyatt View Post
                  Hey Kofa,

                  This looks awesome, really nice looking footage.

                  A few questions:
                  -Are you using the metabones speedbooster?
                  -what ir and nd filters do you use?
                  -do you use a certain lut?
                  -do you use an external monitor?
                  -what SD cards do you use/which ones do you recommend?
                  -which batteries do you use?
                  -have you ever had any issues with the Pocket - dropping frames, or corrupt cards?
                  -how is the onboard audio - have you ever recorded scratch audio with a videomic pro?

                  I'm thinking of picking up two Pockets for a big doc project, instead of packing around a bmcc and bmpc.

                  Thanks!
                  A lot of questions sir. Before I answer I just wanna say that my footage looks the way it does cause that's just what looks good to me. I don't really rely on histograms or false color. I don't use scopes (I know, crazy). Only very few instances I may use it to check white balance. If I shot about 50,000 frames, I may have used it like 4 times to give you an idea. I experiment a lot, and I've built my own LUT (kinda) based off Hook's (my hero) very first version of his BMCC LUT.

                  - Yes, always boosted (Nikon, pocket version) unless 14mm 2.5 is on. I also have a cheap dumb manual Fotodiox MFT >> Canon for the 28mm 1.8 I have. Rarely used but the lens was the perfect FOV on the URSA.

                  - Yes, originally based off Hook's ( I owe him a drink and a good time in LA whenever he visits here). Would love to share but you have to shoot the way I do for it to really work which is kind of crazy, but it's just the way I shoot.

                  - Only if it's a crazy angle and I can't be behind the screen. Then I'll either use an arm or have it (Small HD DP4) attached to a long HDMI cable for monitoring. Other than that, I hate/never use em. See... like I said I'm crazy. But I also really like Vic's 502 from Small HD so I think I'm gonna start using them after all. Gonna order the 702 cause it is difficult to see the screen (on just about any camera) in bright daylight. The thing for me is that I hate bulk and I move very fast when I shoot and the 502 was great, just wished it was a tad bigger... and then they announced the 702. Sold!

                  -Only the Sandisk Pro/95 MBs. Don't even look or think about any other cards. Do Not Ever cut corners on this. Even before the camera itself, this is the most important thing on set. I prefer the 64GBs cause I don't like shooting too much on one card but that 128GB is enticing. I've been surviving off 3 64GBs and 1 32GB card. Had one go bad but the nice people at Sandisk replaced it. Didn't go bad in camera just wasn't being read by my macbook pro anymore for whatever reason.

                  - No. A few bad pixels on the screen a long time ago but replaced by BM.

                  - The ones supplied by BM, I have 6. I may get 2 more and I've been considering external power. But I don't know... Like I said I have this crazy, somewhat minimal way of doing things. The batteries last a short time, yes, but it gives me time to think as I reload and I'm very good about turning the camera off between takes, etc. Unless it's hurry up offense and we go into another take immediately. I also never ever, ever use a follow focus. If I ever hire a DP (Vic Harris probably) he has a set up I like but for me, I'm good (lucky). Now if you're doing a doc... I definitely recommend external power. Kind of common sense for that kind of a situation.

                  - Onboard audio is only good for scratch or just fucking around videos. Frank Glencairn (Cool and knowledgeable guy on here) recommended a tiny olympus mic that gets half decent/usable audio in the right conditions. Not for a feature or anything but usable enough for a web video or scratch track.

                  Any advice other than that I could throw you is to just keep shooting. Then shoot some more. Get to know your camera and how it reacts in certain light. And also how to pull a performance from your actors (still need to get much better at this myself).

                  Hope all that blabbering' was useful in some way.

                  Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
                  Nice job, Kofa.
                  Thanks G (I'm calling you G from now on). Kidding. I appreciate that as I know you have one of the most technical (and stubborn) eyes on here. So means something coming from you. :-)


                  Everyone else I did't quote I appreciate the kind words and your contribution on here (Rick, Jambredz, etc). It has definitely impacted my work in some way.
                  Last edited by misterkofa; 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM.
                  instagram
                  my work

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Awesome, thanks Kofa! Which IR/ND combo do you use?
                    www.wyattvisuals.com

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by wyatt View Post

                      I'm thinking of picking up two Pockets for a big doc project, instead of packing around a bmcc and bmpc.

                      Thanks!
                      Not sure of your timing or if you really need to be ultra compact, but you might give the BM Micro Cinema Camera and BM Video Assist a good look too. I know with either option, you’ll have these cameras singing sweetly too.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by wyatt View Post
                        Awesome, thanks Kofa! Which IR/ND combo do you use?
                        Hoya IR/Tiffen Variable ND both 77mm

                        I also have a variable Fader ND filter (58mm) I throw on the Nikkor 50mm without IR.

                        For close ups (especially on women) I use the Tiffen soft fx 1.
                        instagram
                        my work

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Great, thanks Kofa. Appreciate all the info.
                          www.wyattvisuals.com

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            1st off Mr. K., this is outstanding. Really a pleasure to experience.

                            @Mark, I have to 2nd Kofa on the Pocket. We have the 2.5 ef and Pocket in Argentina. We do a fair amount of rental with the son going along as ac or op. The DPs often times go with the Pocket for the ease of work flow. My son loves it for its size.

                            Before I dropped it off with him I shot a show with it and the 4k. They were easy to cut together. I picked it up on an Adorama deal that I just couldn't say no to. I was going to pick up a 2nd BMCC or a 4k. I was hesitant on the 4k due to the workflow in Argentina. The sale happened and I can only say I am amazed at what a great camera it is.

                            We use the Metabones Pocket specific adapter with the Hoya IR. NDs are a set the Hoya Pros from the endless thread here at BMCUSER. I picked them up from the dealer in Poland on Ebay. Its was still $100s less than B&H even after 50% import duty in Arg.

                            Cards are the Sandisk Pro 95s 64gs, same reasoning as Mr. K.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Marckusw View Post
                              1st off Mr. K., this is outstanding. Really a pleasure to experience.

                              @Mark, I have to 2nd Kofa on the Pocket. We have the 2.5 ef and Pocket in Argentina. We do a fair amount of rental with the son going along as ac or op. The DPs often times go with the Pocket for the ease of work flow. My son loves it for its size.

                              Before I dropped it off with him I shot a show with it and the 4k. They were easy to cut together. I picked it up on an Adorama deal that I just couldn't say no to. I was going to pick up a 2nd BMCC or a 4k. I was hesitant on the 4k due to the workflow in Argentina. The sale happened and I can only say I am amazed at what a great camera it is.

                              We use the Metabones Pocket specific adapter with the Hoya IR. NDs are a set the Hoya Pros from the endless thread here at BMCUSER. I picked them up from the dealer in Poland on Ebay. Its was still $100s less than B&H even after 50% import duty in Arg.

                              Cards are the Sandisk Pro 95s 64gs, same reasoning as Mr. K.
                              Hi Markus.

                              Yeah, I have been using the BMCC for the past few years on lots of projects and the BMPC on a few projects recently. I do like them, but in reality, what I want is a BMCC with a super 35 sensor with SD cards, which the pocket cameras give me (with a speedbooster).
                              I am most likely going to pick two of them up soon. Thanks for your advice!
                              www.wyattvisuals.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hi Mark,

                                I picked up "mjamerson"s' 4k yesterday as I have an episodic project I expect to go at least another year. Most of the talent will have zero experience in front of a camera so I need to get wide and tight out of the same shot to keep it simple. I will probably pick up another Pocket and Metabones to have B cam insurance. (And I like the pocket enough to keep one in the car.)

                                I immediately put the last one in a Viewfactor cage with the additional plexiglass protector, then semi permanently added short hdmi and power cables to protect the onboard ports.

                                Once you shoot with one you will be like "why didn't I get one of these last year?"

                                You are welcome and I am looking forward to your next piece.

                                Mark

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X