Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

teaser i made for the cast of an indy feature in post - shot with the pocket camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTR-Labs
    replied
    Originally posted by kevin baggott View Post
    It's certainly not a trailer and I remember a friend saying when he saw it it's more like a teaser. Alas - why I called it such.
    Okay, that seems reasonable.

Even though your teaser isn't really a teaser, it isn't without merit. Your shot composition is very good. And I'm a huge fan of locking down the camera and letting the action move around within the frame, and your video is loaded with these. As a technical and visual proof-of-concept, your video is very good. I'd suggest letting an editor experienced at cutting narrative material take a crack at tidying it up. I'm mostly EP'ing now, but started as a DP and eventually added editing to my quiver out of necessity. Turns out I was a pretty good DP and mediocre editor. It was a blow to my ego, but my material improved dramatically when I brought in an experienced cutter. I guess this is sort of advice, but ultimately I'm not at all sure if it's appropriate to your situation.

In any event, I'd love to see your 'teaser' cut by my editor. I mean this as a genuine compliment to you.

Hi Kyle

Leave a comment:

• DPStewart
    replied
    OK - who else hates this teaser? Step right up!
    I HATE this teaser!

I really Do. I think I hate EVERYTHING about it.

Yup.

Hate it.

Think I'll go actually watch it now...

Leave a comment:

• kevin baggott
    replied
    Never mind
    Last edited by kevin baggott; 09-06-2015, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UTR-Labs
    replied
    Originally posted by DangerMouse View Post
    I think the main problem with this teaser is it's pace. Almost every shot in this teaser was more than twice the length it should have been. You could almost say no clip should exceed 4 seconds but almost all of yours did. Having long shots in a trailer is fine if you're trying to sell dramatic tension. But I get the impression that this is more dark comedy and a series of long static shots doesn't create a sense of comedic rhythm. It does the opposite and creates a slow, uniformed pace which can get samey or boring.
    I felt compelled to suggest cutting the teaser way down to quicker clips, but this could possibly alter the feeling of the project its based on. If the feature is indeed a slow-paced, introspective film, then a series of quick clips in the teaser could feel ultimately misleading. I think the overall issue with the teaser is that there isn't really any context beyond a sad-sack character repeatedly plodding through the frame. Keep your long shots (just fewer of them) but maybe give us some narration or title cards to help set the scene. You don't have to be on the nose or even explain too much, but a 30 sec shot of a person staring off into the distance is best when paired with some additional context - a voiceover in this shot, simply saying "She was only going to run to the store for a few minutes, and now she's gone forever". Man, now I can watch that long shot and really take in its meaning. Heck, just give us a sliver of context at the beginning or end and let the rest wander and I'm there.

Leave a comment:

• DangerMouse
    replied
    Looks like an interesting film! The kind of film I look forward to but I don't think the teaser sells it well.

I think the main problem with this teaser is it's pace. Almost every shot in this teaser was more than twice the length it should have been. You could almost say no clip should exceed 4 seconds but almost all of yours did. Having long shots in a trailer is fine if you're trying to sell dramatic tension. But I get the impression that this is more dark comedy and a series of long static shots doesn't create a sense of comedic rhythm. It does the opposite and creates a slow, uniformed pace which can get samey or boring.

The whole point of a teaser is show off all the most impressive bits of the film in a condensed form. I think you could make your teaser 50% more effective by removing a third of the shots (the least visually striking ones), capping at least half your shots at two seconds or less with none longer than 4, mixing them for an irregular rhythm and cutting the whole thing down to a minute and a half max.

I'd also scrap the dissolve fade/ moving titles with just hard transitioned static titles and maybe use a font that matches the film's character more. It also feels like it's missing the actor audio to convey the character more.

I look forward seeing more of it!

Leave a comment:

• UTR-Labs
    replied
    OK - who else hates this teaser? Step right up!
    I guess it all depends on what you made this teaser for. Typically, a Teaser is put together to create positive buzz about the project it's based on. If this is your intention then this teaser undoubtedly needs work :-/

If on the other hand, you made this 'teaser' for practice, or fun or for the amusement of you and your close friends, then well done :-)

Leave a comment:

• KyleMcConaghy
    replied
    Can't wait to see this, Kevin! I really like the composition in a lot of these shots... Especially considering all the other roles you were playing.

You're last film was brilliantly, darkly hilarious. I can only assume this is more of the same.

I will agree with Gary that the nudity might need a disclaimer... Not because it's inappropriate. Just for fair warning.

I also think the motion cadence was top-notch!

Leave a comment:

• robbing
    replied
    Looks a social film,character portrait. Interesting.
    Is a little bit long for a teaser and begins to be boring in a few minutes.

About some comments about your teaser:
    Maybe we need more natural nudity and less guns,weapons...and especially less prejuicios.

Keep it up with you movie,Kevin.

Leave a comment:

• kevin baggott
    replied
    never mind
    Last edited by kevin baggott; 09-06-2015, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UTR-Labs
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
    First off, it's incredibly boring. Second, you should really take NSFW if you're going to include male frontal nudity.

Finally, did you get clearances for that song?
    Have to agree - as a teaser it wasn't at all teasing. As-is, I couldn't tell what it was about - some curmudgeon roaming around the countryside? Meh. I'm guessing the story is more interesting than that, but I couldn't tell.

Leave a comment:

• kevin baggott
    replied
    never mind

Leave a comment:

• Gary Huff
    replied
    First off, it's incredibly boring. Second, you should really tag NSFW if you're going to include male frontal nudity.

Finally, did you get clearances for that song?
    Last edited by Gary Huff; 09-05-2015, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• teaser i made for the cast of an indy feature in post - shot with the pocket camera

never mind
Working...
X