Thread: Firmware 1.8 is here! 4K RAW

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Montoya View Post
    I don't know about Resolve, but my version of Mavericks won't show the images correctly in Finder, but I can open them up in ACR just fine in Photoshop CS6
    Because Apple's Finder and Preview does not have support for compressed CinemaDNGs. This is well documented. Same happens with the Pocket camera.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    True big improvement for 1600. The new debayer pic looks more noisy though.
    Way less aliasing though. Check the edges of the blinds

Quote Originally Posted by jchriston View Post
    I think it's hugely noticeable. It doesn't kill moire, but it makes it WAY harder to induce, and it feels like a MUCH more solid/accurate overall image (read feels, it technically doesn't change any of the color science, but without all that chroma noise, things just feel a lot more in place). And of course it's sharper. It really felt like a rebirth for the camera to me.

I would kill for the colors of the 4k with the dynamic range of this camera now - I'd say at 1080p this new debayer brings it much more closer in feeling to the resolution of the 4k.
    Damn...that sounds good. I have the update in my possession but am not as brave as you crusaders lol. Gonna wait it out a little. Thanks for the info
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Hearnia View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out....i hadn't noticed it.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Hearnia View Post
    This is actually quite exciting. I was expecting a bit more definition, but that's a lot sharper. You guys sure it's all true detail and no sneaky digital sharpening going on? That would explain the extra apparent noise.

I didn't expect the other changes at all, so they're a nice bonus: the (judging from the sample) dramatically reduced color artifacts, less chroma noise – possibly saving me a step in post as chroma noise reduction was a must – and maybe it's just sample variance or something, but is that a bit brighter and less green?

Any of you daredevils care to test the new debayer vs. raw for detail? Looks to me like the improved 1080p might be nearly as detailed as the 2.5k ProRes we've been wishing for.

Edit: I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Telecinese View Post
    This is actually quite exciting. I was expecting a bit more definition, but that's a lot sharper. You guys sure it's all true detail and no sneaky digital sharpening going on? That would explain the extra apparent noise.

I didn't expect the other changes at all, so they're a nice bonus: the (judging from the sample) dramatically reduced color artifacts, less chroma noise possibly saving me a step in post as chroma noise reduction was a must and maybe it's just sample variance or something, but is that a bit brighter and less green?

Any of you daredevils care to test the new debayer vs. raw for detail? Looks to me like the improved 1080p might be nearly as detailed as the 2.5k ProRes we've been wishing for.
    https://vimeo.com/98978965

1st is new debayer in bmc -> 709 and second is 2.5k raw through ACES.

From the Blackmagic forums:

"what is the matter with BMD? i posted a Warning About the 1.8 FW bricking my Camera and the remove it. that should be a good thing on there side it will help to prevent people from going thru the same problem as i did. anyways here is what happend.

Plz do not use the Leak 1.8 on the BMPC 4K i was shooting today i was my 5th time using the 4K Raw with switronix Battery after i turn off My camera it did not come on back, it did turn back on but the screen was Blank the Fan was on, No matter what i did it did the screen was blank.to turn it off you have to hold down the power button for some time before the fan stop. it was super hard to downgrade when the camera was connect it says power on camera but the camera was on i could hear the fan.

i download back to 1.7

Guys use it at your own Risk!"

Comments on the Audio for the Pocket:

Just installed it. Definitely gets rid of the electronic sounds for the internal mic, though after comparing the two firmwares, it sounds like they're using a filter, since it's a lot more muffled compared to the other, and it's still low even when set to 100%. Still, it's a lot more usable audio now.

Tried external Mic (Rode VideoMic Pro). Without the 20+ gain, it's still pretty quite, but with it it's actually good audio with good levels. So you still might need a Mic with a booster of some sorts, but it's definitely louder then before.

However, did some more tests. Though it is louder, there still is a little hiss coming from the input when raising your labtop, TV, headphones volume to 100%. Tried 2 different cables and mics to double test it (H4n). You can hear the hiss at 40% channel level, and unusably hear it at 90% (unless you got a lot of background sounds to bury it). Around 30% you can barely hear it, but it's there regardless, because I also did a test without a mic, but a cable plugged in, and raised the levels, and still you can hear it go up and down as I raise the levels. So in order to get rid of it completely, you'll have to keep the incamera channels as low as 30 or lower. Which wasn't the problem with the original firmware.
    Last edited by Chris Chiasson; 06-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Hasn't bricked mine yet...and I have shot probably 1+hr of footage and turned off and on maybe 12 times. HOWEVER...upgrade only at your own risk, untested BETA software can cause just about anything, including a busted camera.