Thread: Anamorphic BMCC implication discussion (with normal lenses and anamorphic lenses)

1. #1 Anamorphic BMCC implication discussion (with normal lenses and anamorphic lenses) 
    I've been thinking about this a lot and the best way to implement anamorphic frame sizes in the BMCC firmware. If it's possible, I think this is the way to do it.

1. There should be a separate menu that says "Anamorphic".
    2. Inside the "Anamorphic" menu there should be 3 menu items:
    A. The "Lenses" menu item would have a slider that you can select either "Normal" or "Anamorphic".
    With the "Normal" option selected when in RAW, you would access a wider portion of the sensor, if possible, to make up the difference.
    With the "Normal" option selected when in ProRes or DNxHD, you would have a cropped 1080 frame size, if BMD can't do full res.
    With the "Anamorphic" option selected when in RAW, you would get as much of the sensor added as needed to make the frame size requested.
    With the "Anamorphic" option selected when in ProRes or DNxHD, you would have a cropped 1080 frame size, if BMD can't do full res.

B. The "Anamorphic's Used" menu item would have a slider that you can select "1.3x", "1.5x", or "2x".
    The "Anamorphic's Used" menu item would be GRAYED OUT if "Normal" was selected in the "Lenses" menu item.
    C. The "Frame Size" menu item would have a slider that you can select "16:9", "2:1", "2.40:1"
    Regardless of what Anamorphic was chosen in the "Anamorphic" option, the sensor will adjust and/or frame will be cropped to achieve the selected "Frame Size" menu item.

With these menu items you could achieve any number of options with any number of lenses. For example: You could get a 2.40:1 frame size with a normal lens, or you could get 2x style lens flares in a 16:9 image, and everything in-between.

This would take a lot for BMD to make it work in this way, but this would be an amazing option that would open the doors of creativity up to everyone, people with and without a budget.

From your lips, to BMD's ears.

Though I would still be happy with any ol' 4:3, and overjoyed if there was a way to get 4:3 with the full sensor height. I understand that might not be possible... but we're all dreamers, aren't we?

That should be perfect... let's see the future.
    Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
    Personal Quote: "We should always learn from others! Life always teaches us something! Sharing is the key!"
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

Quote Originally Posted by randyman View Post
    From your lips, to BMD's ears.

Though I would still be happy with any ol' 4:3, and overjoyed if there was a way to get 4:3 with the full sensor height. I understand that might not be possible... but we're all dreamers, aren't we?
    Well if they can get a little more height they can always crop a little off the sides, but yes accesses to the full sensor would be great. What ever they can get would be great, but they should be able to make something work.