Thread: Bmc4k and odyssey 7q lut support?

1. #1 Bmc4k and odyssey 7q lut support? 
    I wondering if anyone can answer the question about the lut support on the odyssey 7q? Can CaptainHook's lut be loaded to the 7q so one can view footage from the blackmagic production 4K camera with the lut applied? Is anyone using the 7q with the BMC4k? What are the positive and negative for using the 7q with the BMC4k? I am interested with the 7q because I don't have a monitor and I also have the fs700 and the bmc4k. I will use the 7q as a 4k recorder for the fs700 and as a monitor for both cameras. Thanks in advance for any response!

Im also curious! Thanks for posting man.

I'm not sure. Last year i emailed both Convergent Design and SmallHD as Custom LUTs were a bit part of my decision - specifically i asked what kind of LUTs would be supported. Convergent said they were still figuring that out - SmallHD told me LUTs from Resolve and just about any LUT format they could would be supported.

The DP7 Pro OLED was shipping so i got it and i've been using my LUTs on it with great success (after swapping my first unit in which i wasn't happy with the colour).

Convergent currently say this on their website:

LUT Support - ARRI, Canon, Sony, future: support for ASC CDL LUTs
    That says to me that there will be built in LUTs for the mentioned cameras, and otherwise custom LUT support for CDL LUTs only. i.e 'simple' transformations - ASC CDL's to my knowledge are just slope, offset, power and saturation. Or in other words - Lift/Gamma/Gain/Saturation.

I'm also sure i read LUT support only for the 7Q - not the "7".
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    I called convergent a couple weeks ago and they couldn't confirm LUT support on the 7. I'm definately interested in any first hand experience with the 7q as well.

It sounds like there is no support for your lut on the 7q :-(

Another option is to use a lut box like hdlinkpro or the fujifilm is-mini connected to the camera and the 7q. I heard that the is-mini doesn't have the distortion of the image that the hdlinkpro.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/mot...mini/#features

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    I'm not sure. Last year i emailed both Convergent Design and SmallHD as Custom LUTs were a bit part of my decision - specifically i asked what kind of LUTs would be supported. Convergent said they were still figuring that out - SmallHD told me LUTs from Resolve and just about any LUT format they could would be supported.

The DP7 Pro OLED was shipping so i got it and i've been using my LUTs on it with great success (after swapping my first unit in which i wasn't happy with the colour).

Convergent currently say this on their website:

That says to me that there will be built in LUTs for the mentioned cameras, and otherwise custom LUT support for CDL LUTs only. i.e 'simple' transformations - ASC CDL's to my knowledge are just slope, offset, power and saturation. Or in other words - Lift/Gamma/Gain/Saturation.

Last edited by rizibo; 03-18-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Mitch Gross gave me this reply on dvxuser:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-Update/page76

We do not yet have such LUTs enabled, but will in a future firmware update. The 4K output of the BMD camera is via their own 6G-SDI output. For the Odyssey7Q to accept this signal, a BlackMagic Design Mini Converter SDI Multiplex box is needed. This small box will convert the 6G-SDI into 3G-SDI or 1.5G-SDI, which an then be viewed by the Odyse7Q. The BMD box can also power off 12v so it can be easily mounted to the back of the Odyssey or alongside the BMD camera.

Mitch mentions the BMD Convertor for the 7Q because someone JUST pointed out to him on CML you can use it to convert 4K output from the BM4K for use with the 7Q. But if you set the output to HD instead (independent to record resolution), i don't *think* you'll need it. That's what i do with the DP7 anyway.

Good to hear they will support .cube files from Resolve in the future.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I have used the 7Q with the BMPC 4k and no problems, but you do have to set the output to HD. If set to 4K you don't get an image. I haven't been able to find anything about using LUTS with the 7Q though. I'd love to be able to, but not yet I guess.