Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Vistavision on a pocket

Vistavision_BMPCC.jpg

Hey guys,
    Thought it was time I posted about something that I have been mulling over for quite a while now and thought to share my experiment. It appears to have great potential.

For a long time I have been using my SGBlade and loved the look that it produced. It does something to add a sense of depth to footage and and also give it an organic feel. Love the fine grain and perceived tweaking of contrast. Loved the fact that it also allows me to use my Nikon lenses as intended and don't have to invest in more lenses with every camera purchase. For me, it has always about having richer colours in my footage and from the start when I was capturing via HDMI through a Blackmagic design intensity in a magma chassis I always loved colour over sharpness. Don't get me wrong, I love sharpness but we are in a time now where DPs are using filters to soften wrinkles, stockings to make things smoother and Vaseline to mist things up because the footage is TOO sharp and the talent needs tonnes of make-up to hide every skin blemish he he he he. Ironic isn't it? In fact, I have never been happy with the way modern clean digital cameras represent darker skin tones. But what I have seen out of the Blackmagic cameras has impressed me.
    For the record as a hobbyist errrrr prosumer, I have owned a 5D MKII with ( magic lantern ) and a couple of hacked GH2s from the start of this large sensor obsession. But they never did it for me. They appear too clean in my humble opinion. They lack a certain mojo. A bit of dirt here and a little imperfection there gives the artform some much needed character I think.
    I sat on the fence for a while about the BMPCC because it didn't fit my workflow. I have chosen in my workflow to ignore Da Vinci, even though it is high powered and free. I want to be able to edit on a system that gives me rich colour and doesn't require a nuclear powered computer or graphics card to run. I prefer Cineform so I can stay in Vegas and grade under the hood in realtime and make changes at any time without concern.

In the past people couldn't sell their DOF adaptors fast enough. They were viewed as a clumsy way to get that film look and were plagued with mechanical issues, a loss of perhaps half a stop of light, low level motor noise, grain appearing in the sky, blown out highlights looking unappealing etc. But few deny that they gave an interesting look.
    But that was before larger sensors came along. In the past we were scuppered with small sensors and 'iffy' lenses on our camcorders. Now we have interchangeable lens mounts on tiny cameras with sensors that are not too large to force large cumbersome lenses and are small enough to create a compact rig. The larger sensors make low light a non issue and stopping down isn't an issue as well. Enter the Blackmagic design pocket cinema camera. the perfect match for any DOF adaptor for the film look. I waited a few months after cancelling my pre-order due to the infamous 'orb' issue. The original Scarlet that was 3k for 3k was my original ideal cam but the BMPCC ticks so many boxes for me. Cheap, no expensive rig needed on a DOF adaptor, RAW video, affordable and easy media handling ( SD Card ), simple to operate. The big problem for me was what to do with this DNG nonsense. How do I playback the video to simply view my stuff quickly? My BMPCC doesn't talk to my full HD consumer LCD. How do I import the stuff in Vegas with audio? Gulp!

But once this software came out ( http://raw4pro.com/ ) that allows for transcoding of the DNGs to Cineform RAW , complete and merged with audio I had to buy a BMPCC. Cineform RAW works out to about 20 something MB/sec which is in the same ballpark as Prores. I tested some sample DNGs floating around the forum and 'got' it. They looked great! RAW is where it's at baby!!!
    I decided to marry my BMPCC with my SGBlade and anamorphics to get vistavision - in other words Still Full frame shooting. You can get a taking lens to frame for S35mm of course - just get a longer throw lens - like an 85 mm.( Oh - I suspected that I would want to use the blade in this way in the future and kept it.

The Rotorazor that I used is a DIY one where I roughed up the original RR2 with some 6 micrometer grit. Leads to a bit of flicker but I did this to deal with round streaks in the sky and also deal with too much light getting through. Makes for a sharper more contrasty footage IMHO. I have used a 1954 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50 2.8 lens and a Helios 58 mm to act as the relay lenses between the BMPCC and the SGBlade. A few step up rings were required to make the match. I have a Nikon mount so I have access to all myriad of lenses in the format. Heliopan 55 mm thread Variable ND filter used - note that the relay lens acts as a pseudo ND filter as well when using it's aperture ring.
    Some slower lenses do have dark corners but that is expected. If it's annoying then use a more telephoto lens. To get the Bolex 8/19/1.5X anamorphic to work right I have had to look at Nikon 85mm and 55mm AI versions as the taking lenses.

Grading was done in Cineform's grading package and I have used my own LUT package that I made a few years ago in Speedgrade.

For the price of one SGblade and a BMPCC one can get an amazing film making tool for cheap and it responds closer to Vistavision film than much more expensive options out there. Mind you it will be low resolution version of the format but it is unique. I have tested this method with th GH2 and it also works albeit you will need a 58 mm or more to prevent vignetting. So if you already have a DOF adaptor and the GH4 comes along your way - this is another look available to you. The great thing is that a DOF adaptor is just like any other accessory. Use it when you need it and dump when you don't. Pair the BMPCC's raw output with Cineform and you have an amazing grading platform that is NLE agnostic. You can use whatever NLE you want and grade under the hood with Cineform firstlight or Gopro studio. To encode to RAW you will need one of the professional encoders available from Cineform. The free version I do not think offers the RAW encoding..
    It's good to be in filmaking right now. We have never had it so good.
    I will update with new experiments as we go along.
    Peace.

2. Collapse Details

Dude to my eyes it just looks like you've used a 35mm adapter. If I had seen this image with out knowing it was a BMC I would have guessed it as a P+S T adapter. I would love to see more footage as this is something I thought might be an interesting project and have been waiting for someone to do it before me to see results.

3. Collapse Details

yeh I'd also like to see more footage as to my eyes it just looks like 35mm adapter footage also. Your subject looks mighty uncomfortable/apprehensive...must not be a in front of the camera type person.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

4. Collapse Details

Using a 35mm adapter on a BMPCC. Now I've seen everything. The image is soft with very poor bokeh.

I think you're over thinking this one mate.

5. Collapse Details

More footage coming soon.........Oh yea of little faith. . I will of course use the camera as usual. One of the nicest looking indie films I have seen was shot on a DOF adaptor. Monsters by Gareth Edwards. Ohh and download the original - I uploaded a 20 mb/sec clip.Stay tuned

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Henryo View Post
    More footage coming soon.........Oh yea of little faith. . I will of course use the camera as usual. One of the nicest looking indie films I have seen was shot on a DOF adaptor. Monsters by Gareth Edwards. Ohh and download the original - I uploaded a 20 mb/sec clip.Stay tuned
    You beat me too it as I was going to mention the combination of the Sony look plus 50mm Nikon etc. Looking at the HQ 1080p of that film and it looks amazing and convincing in that it wasn't shot on digital. I have often speculated on just how much it really cost to shoot that film if you have watched the BTS. Did they really spend that much more in post because if they did it shows! The picture in Monsters has the edge on just about any footage from 35mm Adapters with ENG type cameras that I've seen.

One benefit of the BMC/DSLR revolution is that the rigs have got smaller and for that I'm thankful. Props for even wanting to use a rig like that!

7. Collapse Details

As a former Letus Ultimate owner -- I get your idea and understand the theory.

The issue is that I think you'd need a Letus Ultimate and Zeiss or Nikkor primes to make it come close to working.

So -- I'm absolutely not being critical of your idea (that is actually quite interesting) -- but I'll share my honest reaction with the hope of assisting you in your evolution. In short -- the bokeh stinks and the image is soft. And, when I look at your rig image -- I don't know what the hell is coming off the front of what looks like a Nikkor prime.

Five or six years ago (prior to the 5D Mark 2) those adapters created an image that was stunning relative to small sensor/fixed lens camcorders. So, back then an adapter could spit out junk -- and all us camcorder guys gazed with wide eyes. Since then we've had that whole "HDSLR revolution" -- and with the exception of moire and aliasing -- the images from those adapters are inferior in every way.

Finally, the imaging coming from an adapter -- is all about the adapter. The full frame 35 image is actually created in the adapter -- and every element of that adapter dictates what is presented to the camera's lens. So, if you don't have an absolutely stunning lens adapter -- then the whole device is all about degrees of image degradation.

In theory -- I love your idea (leaving out the form factor nightmare -- that I hated back in the day), and I convey respect for the creative thinking -- genuinely. In practice -- I expect nothing less than extremely problematic imaging -- a ProResHQ 220 Mbps recording of a soft image from eight years ago.

In other words, a 35mm lens adapter makes the image, and with the best 8K camera in the universe behind it -- you're still getting that adapter's image.
    Media Production by Andrew Gupta
    www.andrewgupta.com

8. Collapse Details

Don't write it off just yet guys. Here is a more standard lens with my girls at play. Download the original which I encoded in 24 mb/sec.

9. Collapse Details

Second video looks much better!

Having used a Brevis 35mm adapter in my Sony HVR1/Canon HV20/30 days, I will never use 35mm adapters again.

They were a good stop gap measure at the time but makes any camera weigh a ton, adds unnecessary complexity to my setup just for the sake of DOF and looks like an RPG launcher.

10. Collapse Details

Much better indeed. Much sharper and pleasing overall...though I'm not seeing the vista vision look so i'm not seeing the advantage at all. Cute girls
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos