Thread: Just got off the phone with Black Magic and they said 4K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Just got off the phone with Black Magic and they said 4K 
    Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Is going through final tweaks of the firmware needed for production and said will ship Q1 this year (Don't shoot me just what the sales guy told me. They told me will definitely ship Q4 in Dec of 2013 so who knows if this is just blowing smoke up our asses) just what he said. He messaged the Tech's and the Techs have not gotten a chance to play with the camera much so the approved Hard Drive list for the BMCC may not be workable for the 4k production cam. They will release that soon as soon as they run tests on them in the final build of the shipping camera. The Tech Guys got the new MacPro's and tested them and this is what they said are minimum and optimum requirements in the machines configuration

OPTIMUM CONFIGURATION
    8 core machine with d700 GPU and a minimum 32 gig of ram - $6,499.00

Absolute MINIMUM CONFIGURATION acceptable
    6 core with d500 GPU and 15 gigs of ram minimum (as in no less than that) - $3,999
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 01-17-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

My lord. I can't imagine what kind of throughput you'd need if the SSDs we've been using for the BMCC don't work. Did BMD ever publish the data rate their 4k solution uses?

Thanks for the info. Maybe then I'll get my damned audio meters

No. The exact quote (as clear as I can remember) I got was "The tech guys that do that have not gotten to play around with the final version of the 4K camera yet (due to I believe the final tweaks in the firmware for the final release camera) and as soon as they do they will release an updated list, but many of the previous listed drives may not be usable for that camera" So as of right now they may work and may not. I have the SanDisk Extreme SSD 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-480G-G25, and that is the drive I asked him about and he messaged the tech guys who said they were not sure yet about the drive, then he told me the quote above as clear as I can remember it word for word.

I also just emailed the tech guys to get a clarification if that Optimum/minimum configuration is for shooting 4K compressed Raw, or shooting 2K compressed RAW, or if it is for just running Davince 10.

"The sales guy messaged Tech Guys get the new Mac Pro's minimum and optimum requirements in the machines configuration. Now I am getting the 4K production camera but I think he messaged them thinking I was going to shoot in 4K compressed raw when my plan is shooting with the 1920x1080 compressed raw for my first film. Does the 6k requirement listed below work fine for shooting in 1920x1080 compressed raw on those machines. I was not sure of the optimum configuration was for shooting in 4K compressed RAW, or if that is for just running Davince. Also, since I have the version of Davince that came with the BMCC (I also own that) can I use Davince 9 that came with that camera to work on the 1920x1080 compressed RAW files that I am shooting on the 4K camera, or will I need to use the Davince 10 that comes with the 4k Camera to work with the compressed raw files and that is why the mimimum of 6 core machine? Also, if I do get the 6 core configuration listed below, even with 1920x1080 compressed Raw, will it be choppy during playback or will I have to work with proxsies exclusively?

OPTIMUM CONFIGURATION

6 core with d500 GPU and 15 gigs of ram minimum (as in no less than that) - $3,99 9.00

Thanks"

I am waiting for a reply back. I also asked if shooting 2k compressed raw on the 4K with the 6 core option will run fine, or will the video not play real time, or will we have to work exclusively with proxies with it. I will let you know as what they say when they email me back. I emailed them back in October, and even though I can not find the email they expected to edit with proxies with the 4 core setup
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 01-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.

So, the BMCC people could be waiting as long as the end of March for our software update ...

Did not ask on that. Like I said I called in Dec when that guy on Facebook who was at interbee said that they will ship in December and the sales guys told me "definitely in December" so take what he said in terms of being released this quarter with some grain of salt. The other info I posted you can take to the bank. Even with that guy on Facebook posting what he heard at Interbee, I called up BM and asked and the sales guy put me on hold to check of the guys at Interbee said what he said. They said "definitely not" but the guy said "I was standing in front of the guy when he said it to me" So who knows what is being told to the sales guys

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
    I also just emailed the tech guys to get a clarification if that Optimum/minimum configuration is for shooting 4K compressed Raw, or shooting 2K compressed RAW, or if it is for just running Davince 10.

"The sales guy messaged Tech Guys get the new Mac Pro's minimum and optimum requirements in the machines configuration. Now I am getting the 4K production camera but I think he messaged them thinking I was going to shoot in 4K compressed raw when my plan is shooting with the 1920x1080 compressed raw for my first film. Does the 6k requirement listed below work fine for shooting in 1920x1080 compressed raw on those machines. I was not sure of the optimum configuration was for shooting in 4K compressed RAW, or if that is for just running Davince. Also, since I have the version of Davince that came with the BMCC (I also own that) can I use Davince 9 that came with that camera to work on the 1920x1080 compressed RAW files that I am shooting on the 4K camera, or will I need to use the Davince 10 that comes with the 4k Camera to work with the compressed raw files and that is why the mimimum of 6 core machine? Also, if I do get the 6 core configuration listed below, even with 1920x1080 compressed Raw, will it be choppy during playback or will I have to work with proxsies exclusively?

OPTIMUM CONFIGURATION

6 core with d500 GPU and 15 gigs of ram minimum (as in no less than that) - $3,99 9.00

Thanks"

I am waiting for a reply back. I also asked if shooting 2k compressed raw on the 4K with the 6 core option will run fine, or will the video not play real time, or will we have to work exclusively with proxies with it. I will let you know as what they say when they email me back. I emailed them back in October, and even though I can not find the email they expected to edit with proxies with the 4 core setup
    For those in PC land I think a similar build will cost about $4,700 with Nvidia GPU's (my preference) and for about $6,500 you would have dual 3.4Ghz xeons (16 cores). You will have to hollow out an old beer keg to get a similar look though.

Quote Originally Posted by MelbFilm View Post
    You will have to hollow out an old beer keg to get a similar look though.
    Now THAT would be actually funny.

...dammit, once such an ida is in your head.

(going into the basement, searching for that old keg)

Hmmm... doesn't make a lot of sense to me to put minimums on hardware like that. Even if the original footage is a super high data rate, what if you're editing with proxies? Then it doesn't really matter much what data rate the original footage is. If you're color grading, you can grade in resolve viewing at a lower resolution to speed things up. So yeah, just wanted to mention that in case people start freaking out that need a mac pro - cause you don't. The 4K ProRes files graded and edited just fine on my iMac. Of course a new mac pro would be awesome though

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Now THAT would be actually funny.

...dammit, once such an ida is in your head.

(going into the basement, searching for that old keg)
    You're late Frank, already been done
    https://www.google.com/search?q=beer...w=1280&bih=527