Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Looks almost DSLRish to me, I honestly would just wait, hopefully the release of these BMD and Digital Bolex cams push companies to produce the cameras we want. Not sure why slow motion is that big of a deal, if I need slow motion, I'll buy a GH3 that does it at 1080p

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If anything, the single most impressive thing about it is that it was not made by a big company, but via kickstarter. And for that at least it deserves respect in my eyes.
    Yes. Unfortunately, that's the same reason this camera should be approached with caution by anyone who is making a serious investment relative to it's cost. Meaning, if you're on a tight budget and the $3500 or whatever for it is a lot of money -- then you're investing in a camera that has absolutely no track record, from a company with no track record (the "digital" part of Bolex), with a customer support infrastructure that has absolutely no track record. So -- if all the cameras break down in a year -- will there be a company with the funding to replace all the units? If a camera breaks down tomorrow -- how long will it take to fix or replace?

Do you see where I'm going with the above? Because, I could go on for paragraphs about the unknowns with "Digital Bolex." On the other hand are the knowns -- Panasonic and Sony are pains, but we know they'll be around in a year; Canon is slightly better, very slightly; and, Blackmagic replaced a defective camera for me in about 48 hours -- and others have reported a similar experience.

So -- if the OP is making a relatively sizeable investment -- "Digital Bolex" at this point can be classified as nothing other than an extreme gamble. There is no track record for this product nor this new division of this ghost of a company. Accordingly, my recommendation to the OP is to let people with disposable incomes test this product and company for at least a year before taking any critical gambles on your part.

Bottom line -- I'd rather have three pocket cameras than one unknown "Digital Bolex." We're currently in a stage in which this Pocket camera is getting much less credit than it deserves. The service end of Blackmagic has proven acceptable. And, based on public information, we are under the impression that the finances of the company indicate a reasonable degree of assumed continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    What "is posted from a user"?

It's not clear to me which part of the long post above are your words, and which part might be someone else's words.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat.
    Yet again -- a totally inappropriate and unnecessary remark from "Peter J. DeCrescenzo." So, instead of criticizing Blackmagic customers who don't mindlessly praise the company -- you've now moved on to mediocre attempts at questioning the credibility of people considering a camera other than Blackmagic something.
    Media Production by Andrew Gupta
    www.andrewgupta.com

3. Collapse Details

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gupta View Post
    Yet again -- a totally inappropriate and unnecessary remark from "Peter J. DeCrescenzo." So, instead of criticizing Blackmagic customers who don't mindlessly praise the company -- you've now moved on to mediocre attempts at questioning the credibility of people considering a camera other than Blackmagic something.
    As I've tried to explain, I don't disagree with what's in J.F.R.'s 1st post, and I don't question his credibility. I simply couldn't tell which of the words in his 1st post are his and which are quoted from a post made by someone else.

And, my "Whatever floats your boat" comment is just another way of saying, "If you like it, that's OK with me", or, "It's all good."

4. Collapse Details

Guys chill out. I also was confused as to what post was from another user as Peter said. I am viewing from my phone and the link does not show up. Then i remembered and pressed the quote tab and saw the link. Maybe thats what happened in Peter's case.

Maybe im ignorant but since these cams all put out a log type image im sure we can take it in almost any direction with enough skill. So pick what works best for you. I think what matters more now is DR, lenes, resolving power.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

5. Collapse Details

Phillip Bloom put 3 grand into the Digital Bolex, and razz16mm is on the D16 team, so take their comments with a grain of salt.

That grade looks horrible to me, as did Bloom's grade of Grant's 4K footage. Some of the D16 footage looks nice, but not as good as the BMD cams.

$3299 or $3599 for the D16 versus $999 or $1999 for the BMD cams? The 4K cam isn't really comparable, a different beast.

Nicer color science on BMD cams...although D16 is pretty close.
    GS or higher DR? I'm skeptical the D16 is only one stop below the BMD cams...looks more like 1.5-2 to me. I'd prefer DR over RS.
    720P@higher frame rates...useful for some, sure. But many cams shoot 1080P HFS now.
    XLRs....will no doubt appeal. Have there been any audio tests yet?
    4 hour battery time...very nice.
    HDMI as well as SDI, handy.
    That handle will not be good for steady shots. Gimmicky. Can be removed and should be removed.
    2.5K uncompressed (BMCC) vs 2K uncompressed (D16).
    I prefer removable SSDs to internal.
    No shipping outside the USA?
    A small company making them is nice in some ways, but in terms of support this is likely a disadvantage. What if they fold before the next update comes out?

Before the price reduction on the BMCC, it was fairly close. But with the new pricing, the BMD cams are better cams at a better price.
    Last edited by BM4EVER; 01-05-2014 at 06:24 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BM4EVER View Post
    GS or higher DR? I'm skeptical the D16 is only one stop below the BMD cams...looks more like 1.5-2 to me. I'd prefer DR over RS.
    doesn't is share the same CCD as in the ikonoskop? which is 11 stops.
    Tom Majerski
    Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TomMajerski.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BM4EVER View Post
    XLRs....will no doubt appeal. Have there been any audio tests yet?

I believe there is one on their website, sounds pretty good to me!
    Tom Majerski
    Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TomMajerski.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    doesn't is share the same CCD as in the ikonoskop? which is 11 stops.
    Not sure, haven't really followed the Ikonoskop. Will def check out the audio test, thanks. Will certainly appeal to many, although a pocket cam, a SD mixpre-d and Tascam DR100 would still only be 2 grand, with the advantage of being dual system.

9. Collapse Details

great thread guys

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Maybe im ignorant but since these cams all put out a log type image im sure we can take it in almost any direction with enough skill. So pick what works best for you. I think what matters more now is DR, lenes, resolving power.
    Exactly. To me, it seems J.F.R is trying to convince himself to go the Bolex route more than any of us. If it's the right choice for you, J.F.R, then so be it. Choosing one out of the 3 (BMCC, BMPCC and D16) won't make you magically better or something and all three are in pretty good competition with each other. All three require some sort of additional expenditure to make them work in a professional environment as well.

I spent a bit over $2K on my BMPCC, lens and extras but I honestly just don't go out and shoot much, so that's my biggest limitation, not the camera.