Thread: ProND2 Now Avail: Hoya ProND Rolling Report Thread

Page 39 of 80 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    mine have arrived just now.. first impression.. they seem lightweight except for the Graduated ND10 it seems a bit heavy

can't wait to test them next week

Hoya Prond.jpg

I also ordered the IR cut. However, like many others, I got the Genus Eclipse when I got the camera. I read this whole thread looking for results with this combo, but did not see anything. Has anyone tried the Hoya IR Cut with the Genus Eclipse?

Bob, I've got the ND10 as well, testing it, it's really helpful indeed. Just be careful about threading it too tight. I always run into that with circular crads.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt white View Post
    I also ordered the IR cut. However, like many others, I got the Genus Eclipse when I got the camera. I read this whole thread looking for results with this combo, but did not see anything. Has anyone tried the Hoya IR Cut with the Genus Eclipse?
    I have tried a number of combinations. My thoughts from a less watched thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wake View Post
    I've tried Tiffen, Hoya UVIR and the B+W 486M UVIR. Hoya is the most neutral, B+W slightly green, Tiffen more green (in fact, unacceptably green to me).

I've started to notice that how noticeable / objectionable the green cast is depends on the ND it's matched with (which will have it's own color cast), and even more so, the lens it it matched with (which will have its own green/magenta and warm/cold characteristics).

As far as ND's the Hoya ProND's are the most neutral (not only in posted tests, but also to my eyes). The Genus is pretty neutral, but can be slightly greenish or brownish (and not just from IR contamination) depending on light, polarization and amount of ND dialed in.

The most neutral lens/ND/IR cut combo I've tried is the Sigma 18-35 with Hoya ProND + Hoya UVIR. If there is not a lot of IR in the light source, leaving the UVIR off can lend a pleasing warmth, since the Hoya ProND cuts some IR.

The Genus plus Hoya UVIR or B+W 486M can look fine on skin, even though it's not a neutral combo. But if the lens is a bit green (like my Schneider Cinegons) or warm (and not also magenta - like some old Nikkors) this combo is not as good. Zeiss ZF (a bit cold and magenta) and Cosina Voigtlander (a bit warm and magenta) look fine to me with the Genus plus either Hoya or B+W IR cuts.

Those are my initial opinions. I may change them as I check with a greater variety of skin tones. Anyway, there are at least 3 factors to balance/consider when judging color casts: ND, IR, and the lens itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Bob, I've got the ND10 as well, testing it, it's really helpful indeed. Just be careful about threading it too tight. I always run into that with circular crads.
    Thanks for the advice, Kholi. I will try to be carful

Is using the Hoya IR cut behind a tiffen IRND ill advised? The IRND is a 4x4 1.2 and the cut would be behind it.

Continuing on from the post where i showed the Pocket cam here:

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post97497

I FINALLY got to look at the 4K frames i shot that same day - although back then i couldn't even reveal i had the 4K camera. I did these comparisons with the BMCC also, not sure if i'll ever get to them but it's kinda clear by now Tiffen IRND's are not great on these cams, where as the Hoyas are pretty damn solid.

Fair warning, this was an earlier beta 4K camera and the colour did change a LITTLE on the shipping model, i should probably redo the tests but it was a few hours shooting all these and look how long it took me to get to the files! PLUS, rather than use these to compare cameras i think it's still relevant to compare ND's on individual cameras. As far as i know (i should check up on this), nothing changed hardware wise in terms of IR filtering etc on the 4K cam between units, and the colour difference is too small for me to consider these comparisons irrelevant. Also, like the Pocket comparisons this is using the BMD LUT (except a new one just for the 4K) rather than my own "recipe" to keep it fairly neutral. Same corrections applied to each except like with the Pocket frames, the Tiffen IRND's are a little bogus with how much light they claim to be stopping. The 0.3 doesn't seem to block ANY light to me. On the Pocket i could recover it to match, but here you can see the 4K doesn't have that latitude.

My cursory look has me thinking there's a little stronger IR filtering on this camera compared to the Pocket. The "flat" actually looks fine to me where as on the Pocket i felt it needed IR filtering (and always felt that way) - and maybe the combo of IR Cut plus the Hoya ProND is actually too much on this cam. Just my initial thoughts anyway, i'm sure everyone will have their own opinions.

I kinda wish now i had tried the Hoya IR Cut on the Tiffen IRND's, to see what happens. Mostly because it does a decent job helping clean up the 4x4 Tiffen 1.2ND (with no IR cut itself).

FYI, there's a couple of frames marked as "BMCC" on the paper, but my GF got confused because of the same body (lol) and it was a couple of ND's later that i noticed. Luckily the resolution size is different (these were shot in UHD) so it was easy to see this was in fact the 4K cam.

And now for the onslaught of pics, again.

No ND.

Hoya PRONDs (with and without Hoya IR CUT)

TIFFEN

(the 0.3 or at least my copy is 'bogus', you can see the whites etc clipping but i brought down the exposure to try match anyway - didn't try to save highlights etc as this is more about IR and colour - some of the other stops needed tweaking too)

Tiffen 1.2ND (no built-in IR CUT) 4X4 with Hoya IR CUT -- Better than Tiffen 1.2IRND ??

Tiffen Vari ND at various amounts (unfortunately some flaring which i should have flagged off like on the Pocket - wasn't a prob for the other filters but the VND is prone to it - didn't notice until checking files later as it was my first real use of the VND) :

I've said before and i'll say it again, damn that AbelCine video for convincing me to get the Tiffens. I'd rather use the VND with Hoya IR Cut and make sure i flag off any lens flaring !!
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dang. Thanks again, Hook!

This also explains something that I've been noticing... if it holds true when I test...

Sometimes my darks get muddy but not all of the time, it's with a specific amount of light, but now that I think about it, it's also when I stack NDs to cut too much light.

I may actually try to run with the IR cut off the next time I'm out to see what happens.

Posting at the top of the page.

Rock on man.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Yeah, i've been using the IR Cut too... wish i looked at these earlier. Lol. Stacking is more noticeable but still looks pretty gradeable (compared to the Tiffens anything does!) so i'll carry on doing that since i don't have the full range !
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Yeah I was in the same boat with the Tiffen filters. Red users seem to like them if you want a place to sell them