Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Capture One (by Phase One) now supports Cinema DNG
    Talking
    Hey all,

In case the news wasn't up here:

Just recently the Capture One program has got ability to process Cinema DNG, including those from BMCC.

I guess for some people with still photo background, like myself, this is great news!

http://blog.phaseone.com/work-magic-...n=w39_software

2. Collapse Details

Excellent.
    I've used Capture One for a couple of years.
    Having said that, I've enjoyed demoing Resolve 10 the last few days.

3. Collapse Details

It will be interesting to see how Resolve 10 has improved in handling the debayer process. So far it hasn't offered nearly as powerful or sophisticated a range of control over the actual debayer process as programs like Capture One or Raw Therapee do. This is not just about color correction.

4. Collapse Details

I am using C1 in still photography for 10 years from v3.5 up to now v7.1 . Quality of RAW converting is still unmatched. But... you need really some extra time when you work with C1 as it's very slow in organizing your media. Very curious for results and workflow of DNG

5. Collapse Details

I love using Capture One, but that workflow (and I've done it before) is incredibly long and taxing on your computer. Resolve 10 is just way easier.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by squares View Post
    I love using Capture One, but that workflow (and I've done it before) is incredibly long and taxing on your computer. Resolve 10 is just way easier.
    Ultimately there is a trade off between speed and quality. Nice to have the option to use stills processors when the need arises.

7. Collapse Details

You could already open them in Capture One, it was one of the first programs i tried last year (it's my main stills raw convertor).. have they just added extra support (previously exposure settings etc weren't read)?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    You could already open them in Capture One, it was one of the first programs i tried last year (it's my main stills raw convertor).. have they just added extra support (previously exposure settings etc weren't read)?
    Yep. Used to interpret CDNGs in some crappy way, I remember that. Now it supports correctly both BM Cinema DNGs and those from ML'ed Canons. They also confirmed that CO also supports yet-to-come Compressed lossles DNG from Pocket. The future is here ))))))

9. Collapse Details

But does it make processing a lot of footage easy? Sounds fine for hobbyists that shoot a couple of shots on the weekend. I really wish I could work with Adobe RAW more but it is so difficult to get actual work done when you are importing clips one-by-one into After Effects, such a shame.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Carrig View Post
    But does it make processing a lot of footage easy? Sounds fine for hobbyists that shoot a couple of shots on the weekend. I really wish I could work with Adobe RAW more but it is so difficult to get actual work done when you are importing clips one-by-one into After Effects, such a shame.
    The way I see it you either treat raw footage like video, go for speed and convenience, and get results about like shooting with a video camera in the first place, or you treat it like film and plan for the "lab" time to process it for a different more sophisticated result. It is an important part of the workflow,not something you just rush through so you can start editing.
    What is interesting about the new Capture 1 is that it is fully multi-threaded and GPU enabled, so compared to Raw Therapee that I have been playing with (yes it is play) it should be much faster on a decently equipped workstation. But the far more sophisticated algorithms used by stills programs are way too processing intensive for real time frame rates on any current computer that mere mortals can afford. On my laptop processing a single raw 2k DNG frame can take up to 20 seconds depending on how deep I get into three different kinds of noise reduction and processes like HDR tone mapping. I might spend 30 minutes or more tinkering with one frame of a clip to get the look I want before batch processing all of the clips for that scene with the resulting profile.