Thread: Question about Roundrip between Premiere CC and Resolve 10

1. #1 Question about Roundrip between Premiere CC and Resolve 10 
    I've been coloring with Resolve for quite some time to learn it. However, this is the first time I'm using it on a real project and was wondering if somebody could help me out. Here's what I did:

brought in the BMC RAW files, exported some ProRes LT proxies
    Edit those ProRes files in Premiere into a timeline
    Export XML from Premiere and import that into Resolve
    Color the Premiere edited timeline in Resolve using the original Cinema DNG files
    Now I go to deliver and choose 'Final Cut Pro XML Round-trip' - this exports all my colored clips and an XML
    I try to import that XML back into Premiere and I get the error:

File Import Failure - The Importer reported a generic error.

Been searching around and haven't found a way around this yet, anybody here know how to get around this?

Thanks.

Would replacing the proxies with the graded footage work?

Don't know why it is failing for you. It has worked for me with Resolve 9. Are you selecting to export the media with the XML?

Taking a Vacation
    I had this same problem with FCP7. Because I didn't have the time to figure it out, I just exported the finished grade from Resolve to a seamless ProRes4444 file and brought that back into FCP7 to sync to audio, then export again to ProRes4444 to prepare for transcode for web. That might not help you at all though You could always export the ProRes file from Resolve as individual clips too if you need to add transitions in Premier or whatever else you want. Not the best way but a work around if you're on a time crunch.

I always set up my render and then export XML from the conform page. Then I render. This always works for me.

I actually ended up just exporting a finished ProRes clip from Resolve instead of bringing it back into Premiere for exporting. That worked out fine. I'm wondering if it's due to the Beta software. I found a couple others with the problem with Resolve 10 on the Black Magic forums with no solution yet.

As a side note, I realized the moving between Premiere and Resolve is a little more complicated than I thought unless all your frame rates and resolutions are exactly the same. I originally exported 2400 x 1350 30p ProRes to edit with in a 1080 x 800 24p timeline in Premiere. The 30p clips were re-interpreted as 24p for a slight slow down. Each clip was scaled down to fit the frame, or slightly reframed. After exporting to XML from Premiere, Resolve wouldn't bring that back in because of the resolution change and the frame rate change. I ended up having to do the whole process from scratch with the 24p slow down and 1080 x 800 timeline in resolve before exporting to Premiere. But then Premiere wouldn't let me just replace the footage since the frame rate and resolution were different, so I had to re-do the edit in Premiere! Pain! But in the end, the footage and color grade were blowing my pants off so it was worth it.

Taking a Vacation
    Do you have a new edit?

you need to click 'use different frame rates' in the preferences in Resolve. This will solve your slowdown issue. Also in the preferences is output scaling and you can set this to HD to make proxies or not. It's changable throughout the process, so no worries. Also the scaling and framing issues your having can be solved by setting the scaling setting in the preferences. Experiment to find a solution for you.

You can also use pretty much any sequence dimensions you want in Premiere, you can just match your footage resolution.

Edit: You can also just import your new footage in next to your old footage and Alt+drag the new clips onto the old clips in the sequence.

It happens to me all the time. I always render as a single clip and take it into adobe.

Just this week I started giving in to taking the clips to FCP X cuz it at-least saves me some hassle my knowing the order of the clips. Premiere always has issues when dealing with offline workflows. I have never once successfully ported without spending hours of manual linking.

If someone has a better way of doing it, please reply.