Thread: IRND 4x5.6 Tiffen vs. Skier

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 IRND 4x5.6 Tiffen vs. Skier 
    Hello, I wanted to check and see if anyone had tested, used, seen footage, reviews, or anything on Skier IRND 4x5.6 filters. I have searched the net and I'm not having any luck. I have a set (.3 - 1.2) plus a pola at a camera house and it's coming in at 1500.00 I can get a set of Skier's for 600.00. Now I know you get what you pay for but it's worth checking because you never know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just received my Skier Hot Mirror IRND 1.2 (4x5.65").

It works very well : no IR contamination and no noticeable color cast. It removes a little bit more than 4 stops of light, something more like 4 +1/3 stop.
    I don't have access to Tiffen or Shneider HM IRND to compare, but it seems to hold well. And they are significantly cheaper : around 160$ for one vs 550$ for a Tiffen filter.

Here's a few frames taken very quickly, just to test color cast, I will try to publish more serious tests later.
    (The purple flare on the filtered pic is from my lens fitted not deeply enough in the mattebox, please don't care.)

No_Filter.jpg

IRND_02.jpg

02_No_Filter.jpg

02_IRND.jpg

And a version with a Century Linear Polarizer added, acting as a .3 ND :

02_IRND+POLA.jpg
    Last edited by nicolas; 08-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Nicolas, did you make any more tests with the Skier NDs? They look very interesting so far!

No, no new tests, but I use my 1.2 all the time, often in front of other ND's (Tieffen classic ND's). I'm very satisfied with it. The strange thing is they don't seem to be available on ebay anymore...

are these test on the BMPCC or BMCC? The S16 sensor would be less sensitive than the MFT or bigger sensors. So I'm wondering how I should be scouting my set as well. I have the BMPCC. HOWEVER, IF I plan to go APS-C or Full Frame how should I go about finding the right kit for me?

Not to dredge up an old thread but I wonder if someone has shot these with skintones

Here's some skintones taken with the Skier ND :

01.jpg
    02.jpg

and a larger shot :

03.jpg

I find colors quite pleasing with the filter on (graded with film convert + custom LUT).

Quote Originally Posted by demoboyBMC View Post
    are these test on the BMPCC or BMCC?
    It's on BMCC 2.5K. A larger filter kit will last you longer (you can use it with more cameras and format).
    However it seems that ND's tend to react differently with different sensors...
    You can't be really wong with a good brand and the .3 to .9 range, though.
    Last edited by nicolas; 03-06-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Well that clinches it. I'm ordering these.

EDIT: FYI, there's a seller on ebay selling the full set (0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2) in 4" x 5.65" for $590 with free shipping. Normally they're $167/ea direct from skier, before shipping. So it's about $70 less with free shipping on ebay. I managed to score a 5% discount via the 'make an offer' button too.
    Last edited by willvincent; 03-06-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Can the full set be stacked or would it be better to just get the 1.2 and put non IRND's behind when higher nd is needed.

I'm waiting for my 4x4 IRND from Skier, finally can I get rid off the fader ND from LCW