Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    LUT DOWNLOAD: Comet_Trails
    Progress as of March 24, 2014 - Released versions of 4K and 2.5K

So really quick recap (you can read further down if you're interested in how disastrous it was first)... you'll want to know that this is really just how I like to start/where I like to go with my footage. You may not agree, that is okay.

- Remove grey haze, overall color casts, green tint
    - Find a black point, exploit it
    - Highlight work, should bloom more, clip a bit easier (worked a long time to remove yellow clipped highlights, that was a big one over the year)
    - Try to avoid Pink casts (didn't completely succeed here, you still get it at the top, but I prefer it to green so)
    - As few adjustments as possible to balanced image, prepare for a look
    - Skin skin skin skin skin. Respect the skin
    - Adjust Reds and Blues. Reds... lost the battle on this one, I think I got it on the blues, though.
    - Saturation, not over, not under, as right as possible on first application. Hit or miss here.

You will notice:

- it starts crushed and poppy. DO NOT BE ALARMED: all of your information is there
    - Reds are crazy, you'll have to key them
    - You may see some magenta, IMO it's easier to balance out when it comes to skin than green is. That's just me.

Thanks to Hook for helping me out to correct botched builds, and Dillon for calling my attention to the pink topside. Replace the LUTs with these completely

UPDATE APRIL 10, 2014 -- OVERHAUL

4K and 2.5K/Pocket Trails V02 zip: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Hc&usp=sharing

After Hook told me I didn't have to use the old way of building LUTs I went back to build it from the ground up, if anyone wants to try them out and post examples let me know what you think.

Changes are:

- flatter base (easier to move contrast around)
    - removed green cast
    - less overall saturation to start (likely to change)
    - greater skin separation
    - removed pink top side
    - better highlight retention
    - adjusted curve (less punchy, but focused)
    - WB version = super neutral, not as warm

I've found that I like the WB Version for interiors, and exterior daylight the original/warm version.

Likely will add a sat curve in the next version. I've left the previous versions up for download as well below.

-----

UPDATE MARCH 26, 2014 -- BIG CHANGE

Adjusted 4K Trails and UE LUTs Notes

UE = Underexposed 4K footage

- Major Change to highlight range on both 4K LUTs
    - Major Change to Highlight and low end range on 25KPC LUT
    - Adjustment to overall gamma on 4K Trails UE and Standard.
    - Adjustment to overall gamma on 4K Trails UE, slightly less crushed on the bottom end, more detail in shadows. Will have to decide how much noise you want to see.
    - Cleanser being adjusted, no longer avail for a few days.

Downloads to March 26h, 2014 4K Trails Updates (replace them in the LUts folder, save the old ones elsewhere or delete them)
    4K Trails: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-...it?usp=sharing
    4K Trails UE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-...it?usp=sharing

2.5K/Pocket Trails: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-...it?usp=sharing
    Tips on working with the LUT:

- Shoot within one stop bracket. +1 stop or -1 stop, closer to finished product = better
    - Shoot RAW (if possible).
    - Use IR/UV, and Hoya Filters (if you can, or at least IR UV)
    - Turn on Scopes.
    - ****Project Settings > 3D OUTPUT LUT > Trails 4K or 25KPC****
    - Curves. If you don't know them, learn them really quick. Both LUTs LOVE a quick mid curve
    - Luma vs Chroma. Disconnect/ungang curves, use just the luma slider, etc. Very interesting results
    - Highlights. Gain slider <---- move it that way or top of the curve, drag it down
    - Stretching the image. Gamma slider -----> move it that way or middle curve <---- Move it that way, Sometimes you can grab the offset slider.
    - Crazy Reds. Qualifier > Red > tweak > desaturate
    - Saturation. Learn the LUM vs SAT Curve, it's amazing.

These will get updated as I work with the more, long process, and I'm actually planning to build looks off of this base, like a Kowa Lens look and something more muted/old cinema.

If you're feeling generous, I have a paypal: kholi dot hicks at gmail dot com

Thanks to everyone that sent stills/dpxs/dngs and offered advice/opinions, and MAJOR MAJOR thanks to Roman for grabbing so much footage, using his own footage to test with, and staying up at 2AM to listen to me babble about pink highlights

Read the thread if you want to see how not so awesome it was in the beginning haha.

Newer stills

-----

OLD INFO/STILLS BELOW

Was inspired by this thread: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ok-smokey-grey

Summary: Some of us thought BV1 images looked a bit "Smokey" or greyish, dull is a word? Even when they were vibrant. Goal of this LUT was/is to attempt to defeat that. Then some other goals came to mind.

The Name: PanaMojo refers to Panasonic Mojo, something DVXusers of old days said the DVX100 had, and the HVX200, but for whatever reason the AF100 lost. It also wasn't limited to those cameras, Varicam had it in my opinion, and so does the SDX900/HDX900.

The Varicam and SDX900 were used to shoot a lot of Beauty work, I really like the look, so that's what I went for.

Secondary goals:

[+] Offset BV1 inherent "green" cast, but try not to go too magenta.
    [-] Vibrant Blue: can this be toned down in the LUT without taking a hit to color
    [+] Far Red turns orange, can this be fixed in the LUT without sacrificing other colors
    [+] Overall color separation so that primaries are more effective
    [+] Works for ProRes AND RAW (Now has 3200, 4500, and 5200/5600 Input for ProRes)
    [ ] More natural highlight roll off
    [+] Use with other LUTs such as Juan Malera's converted Film LUTS, etc.
    [ ] Use with ACES workflow
    [ ] From LUT to Finished Image: as few nodes as possible (within reason)

Here's a post with some early stills from day one's progress, on the night of the shoot: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post69596

Here're some stills from progress as of July 5th (all stills clickable):

before the LUT

after 3D Input LUT (PanaMojo), 3D output LUT (Alexa to REC709 -- supplied by BMD)

after single node lift gamma and gain and saturation from 50 to 65

after second node, teal adjustment to gain, saturation from 65 to 75, very weak curve

Stilll working. Here are some stills from Manhattan Beach, trying to see how it works elsewhere:

SLR Magic 12/1.6@4~5.6 | ProRes 800 ISO | 1.2 Tiffen IR ND

Nikon 24/2@4~5.6 | ProRes 800 ISO | 1.2 Tiffen IR ND

SLR 12/1.6@??? | ProRes 800 ISO | 1.2 Tiffen IR ND (Note, this was pretty far underexposed, hence the line. Not sure was stop.)

SLR 12/1.6@4~5.6 | ProRes 800 ISO | 1.2 Tiffen IR ND

SLR 12/1.6@5.6~8 | ProRes 800 ISO | 1.2 Tiffen IR ND

Still working on this. Hopefully done soon so I can share for those interested.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

2. Collapse Details

Manhattan Beach?

3. Collapse Details

Looks really good, thanks for your efforts!
    I suppose you're going for a clean image to give the user the possibility to add more 'cinematic' grading later to personal taste?!
    At least that's what I initially thought, 'deep, clean' image.

4. Collapse Details

Kholi, I appreciate the hard work, and I'm looking forward to playing with it!
    It looks to be a really solid place to start grading from. I'm anticipating lifting the blacks for my own tastes.
    It looks like the crushed blacks is the most apparent stylistic leaning that the LUT has.

5. Collapse Details

love it.. can't wait to try it out

6. Collapse Details

Its looking good Kholi - eager to try it out!

7. Collapse Details

These two sort of go hand in hand, let me think here...

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    Looks really good, thanks for your efforts!
    I suppose you're going for a clean image to give the user the possibility to add more 'cinematic' grading later to personal taste?!
    At least that's what I initially thought, 'deep, clean' image.
    I think PRIMARILY I'm trying to find more separation in the image. So yeah, attempt to define color and remove casts, while also...
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkingcloud View Post
    Kholi, I appreciate the hard work, and I'm looking forward to playing with it!
    It looks to be a really solid place to start grading from. I'm anticipating lifting the blacks for my own tastes.
    It looks like the crushed blacks is the most apparent stylistic leaning that the LUT has.
    Finding a black point. When I think of crushed blacks, I think of crushed shadows which tends to not-look-awesome? But, having a defined black point, that is different. Things in the frame that are black (cloth) or deep shadow (like under the vehicle wheel well) should go black, or at least I think so. And, usable detail in shadows should be represented, while avoiding the lifted look that the original poster in the other thread commented on.

That's one of the goals, anyway. Whether or not I"m going to hit it? xD We'll see.

Oh and as far as cinematic grades or other looks in general, here are the same stills yet with Juan Melara's converted Kodak and Fuji LUTs, and Macgregor's F35 LUT without any adjustments to the nodes from the stills above (so just changing the 3D Output LUT, but 3D Input LUT's PanaMojo and keeping all adjustments the same):

Fuji3510

Kodak2383

Macgregor's F35 LUT

Macgregor's F35 LUT

Macgregor's F35 LUT

Kodak2383

You can still go wherever you'd like, basically.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    [B]

The Name: PanaMojo refers to Panasonic Mojo, something DVXusers of old days said the DVX100 had
    That's where you had my attention

I would love to see that sort of Mojo out of the BMC - really miss it since the old DVX/HVX days.

Your grabs looking really good so far, can't wait to give it a test ride.
    Thanks for the work Kholi.

Frank

9. Collapse Details

Thanks Kholi. I really think the name of the game is going to be sharing LUT's between users. It takes the guess-work out of color correction and I think it's great for the beginner or intermediate user to help defeat the learning curve. IDK about you guys but I'm building a library out of these things.

A bit off topic, but on, is that Premiere accepts LUTs and Looks built in Speed Grade now and is finally a professional coloring solution. I've used a few examples and the results were solid.

10. Collapse Details

i'll echo the sentiment that I can't wait to play with this either. i love the idea of an input lut to further play with pipeline. and i too am a huge fan of the panasonic mojo of olden days. so basically let er loose!