Thread: Zeiss Arriflex 16 12/T1.3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Zeiss Arriflex 16 12/T1.3 
    Sample shot from a MFT BV1 and a Zeiss Arriflex 16 12/T1.3 @ 2.8, -2.25 exp in resolve. Max Zeiss 16 12mm_1.37.1.jpg

25 covers as well, but with the same dark corners issue.

Pretty sharp on the camera, surprisingly so. Bokeh's super busy if you've got a lot of stuff going on in the background.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

I compared this lens to the Arriflex 35 12/2.1 and at equivalent stops, the Arriflex 16 had much better overall sharpness except in the corners.

Haven't used the Standard Speed 12mm before, but I suspect that it would be sharper given the tighter max aperture. Is it sharper than the Zeiss Superspeed 16 12/1.3 @ 2.1?

Standard Speeds are nice, though. Just realizing that I haven't tried them on the camera, yet likely because the sets I have access to do not contain 12mm.

Ultra Primes are likely the next for me.

The Ultra 16s? I'm hoping to get a hold of the the 3DCC in Toronto, as they have a set for their SI-2k 3d rig.

Oh nah not U16s although when Pocket Cam gets here I'm going to try those out.

Was speaking about actual Ultra Primes.

Quote Originally Posted by rexbron View Post
    I compared this lens to the Arriflex 35 12/2.1 and at equivalent stops, the Arriflex 16 had much better overall sharpness except in the corners.
    It's not surprising when you consider that they were trying to get sharp pictures on screen from a smaller format. Not bad for lenses designed in the 80s. Your frame above looks great. It surprising how little vignetting there is from the 12mm, though I gess the drop off in luminance near the corners would be unusable for some projects. The image circle of the 16mm format SSs gets larger through the set 9.5, 12, 16, 25, 50. If the 12mm looks like this (your frame above) then 16 and up should be good.

There have been one or two threads on cinematography.com talking about image circle and BMCC sensor coverage from S16 lenses. For example...
    http://www.cinematography.com/index....le#entry371523

Have a look at Dom Jaeger's post #14.

If you have a chance to grab a set of 16mm format SSs and try them all to confirm coverage you will have done everyone a great favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg MacPherson View Post
    If the 12mm looks like this (your frame above) then 16 and up should be good.
    I just tested a full set of Zeiss super speed MkIII (9.5, 12, 16, 25 & 50mm T/1.3). I can confirm that 16, 25 & 50 cover the sensor without problem. The 12 vignettes a little bit, but a 104% zoom (still higher than 1080p in raw) or a 2.00 crop (between 1.85 and 2.35) will get rid of it. I also tested my Zeiss MkII 12 & 25mm T/1.3, they behave like they should.

All of them are great but 25 & 50mm (even wide open) seems outstanding. I will post some grabs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas View Post
    I just tested a full set of Zeiss super speed MkIII (9.5, 12, 16, 25 & 50mm T/1.3). .....
    Thanks, well done. I look forward to the pictures. It is a shame that the 12mm vignettes, as the standard (Zeiss or Arri (Kern)) wide angle attachments for that lens wiill give about 7mm. The Zeiss one, Cinematechnic say gives a small vignette on S16, don't know about the Kern ones.

Thinking of Rexbron's frame at the top of this page. People often said that the 12mm lens was not as good as the rest. I have a MKII set, with the 12 mm on projection looking slightly softer on the 200 lp/mm bar at the bottom. So it will only get better. Very interesting to hear that your 25 and 50mm are noticable sharper.

Re the Ultra16 lenses. I think their image circle is smaller than the SSs.
    Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; 06-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.

It is a shame that the 12mm vignettes, as the standard (Zeiss or Arri (Kern)) wide angle attachments for that lens wiill give about 7mm.
    I have an Aspheron attachment (by Kern I believe) and even the Zeiss 16mm will vignette with it attached. It considerably shrinks the image circle, whatever the lens.
    I will soon test a Kinoptik 5,7mm & a rare 5mm soon, we will see if it's better than Zeiss with aspheron (or any other wide angle attachements).

Very interesting to hear that your 25 and 50mm are noticable sharper.
    They're not only sharper wide open but they seem to have better colors too. I have to test them further to be positive about it.