Thread: Monitoring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monitoring 
    I've got a decent investment in HDMI... field monitors, active & passive splitters, etc... what's the best way to convert the SDI out for HDMI monitoring? I've seen converter boxes going from $270 to $500ish. Anyone have some hands-on info?

Pretty excited for this camera... for once a new piece of gear is out that I'll need almost nothing new to use, hooray.

Now let's all pray to the flying spaghetti monster for 60p@1080... heck, I'd love to see 80, 100, 120 or up, even at 720... been dying for an affordable hi-speed solution.

One simple way is if you have a NanoFlash, it converts on the fly SDI to HDMI and vis versa while monitoring or recording.

I plan on using the NF on the BMCC, it will be interesting to compare codec results (NF is only 8bit) but can record high bit rates, and it can record lower bit rates as well you can record 8 hrs or more if you use 64 or 128GB CF cards.

I would not recommend buying the NF for this purpose but a lot of us already have it. It is very small and light and uses very little power.

AJA and BM I believe has small converters as well.
    Olof Ekbergh
    Westside A V Studios
    olof@westsideAV.com

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    I recently bought a BMD "Hyperdeck Shuttle" (the original model) new from B&H for $175 to primarily use it as a HD-SDI to HDMI converter for monitoring. Check with other dealers, online, eBay, too.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Recorder.html

The HdS converts live HD-SDI to HDMI and vise versa. Doesn't need a SSD drive in it to work as a converter. And it has a built-in >1-hr. battery, or use the included AC adapter, or your ext. battery.

The new model "Hyperdeck Shuttle 2" lists for only $345 US. In addition to its being able to record uncompressed HD like the original model, version 2 can also record DNxHD compressed video, and it converts HD-SDI to HDMI (or the opposite), just like the model 1.

The HdS units are 1" high by 4.5" deep by 6.125" long, and weigh a bit more than 1 lb. w/o an SSD drive. You'll need to buy at least one "DIN" to BNC adapter cable (relatively inexpensive) to connect to gear with BNC HD-SDI connectors, because the HdS has DIN connectors on the back for HD-SDI.

EDIT: Added link to B&H: Hyperdeck Shuttle v1 for $175 new.
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 06-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.

I've ended up with this option - the Hyperdeck 2 - as I'll be using it with other cameras, primarily the EX1 and FS700 (in a few months)... I'd recommend getting the adapter plate for it, and getting an battery plate that can power it and the camera.

Thanks guys - so far everyone's using external recorders though... I'm just picturing something dongle-ish. I'll see what else is out there.

Both Blackmagic and AJA make small, single purpose converters. Just what you need.

I have the HDS with mounting plate and it is way too heavy to mount on the camera hand-held and I'm not replacing my complete SmallHD DP4+EVF, so the small BMD converter boxes will have to do....
    // Aaron

I would be very careful about using bmd converters in the field. In my experience the pcb mounted connecters break quickly, so plan to rig a system that takes all strain off the connections if you dont want them to be one-time-use...

That said, hyperdeck seems like a steal as a converter/recorder with backup power built in.

Quote Originally Posted by nyvz View Post
    I would be very careful about using bmd converters in the field. In my experience the pcb mounted connecters break quickly, so plan to rig a system that takes all strain off the connections if you dont want them to be one-time-use...

That said, hyperdeck seems like a steal as a converter/recorder with backup power built in.
    I agree about the old style BMD converters, best to use those for permanent installations rather than rough field use. But the new Battery and Heavy Duty versions are much more robust than the originals and work well in the field.