Thread: BMC LUT for Cineform

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Damn. So basically all that talk of 'the file sizes don't matter, I'll convert to Cineform straight off the SSD', isn't really accurate as it does introduce changes that mean you can't work with Cineform files in the same way you can the original DNGs in Resolve.

Not really- LUT is just a base for your grading and if CF has a bit different image for start it does not mean much at the end. It can be adjusted to desired look the same way as in Resolve.

Yeah I get all that.

It's frustrating that there's no way to just cleanly 'convert' the DNGs to Cineform Raw. You've got to add further steps to undo the colour change if you already have your grading workflow figured for BMCC's DNGs.

Typically when people talk about 'converting' between file formats introducing colour changes and whatnot isn't really expected to be part of it.
    Last edited by metaljesus; 05-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Ask David, maybe he can implement it.
    I think there should be 1:1 mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_HD View Post
    I don't think there is a way to do it currently- looks like Cineform always applies some curve. You can get quite close I think, but no way to get "original" look.
    Sure there is. I wrote this utility RAW 4 PRO which does NOT apply any look by default. So the output CineformRAW matches the DNGs exactly. And yet, you can apply any LUT you want, optionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Primehd View Post
    Sure there is. I wrote this utility RAW 2 CF RAW which does NOT apply any look by default. So the output CineformRAW matches the DNGs exactly. And yet, you can apply any LUT you want, optionally.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is this true? The CineformRAW files will import into Resolve with the exact BMD Film color?
    Marc Tschudi
    marctschudi.com

No it will not. CineformRAW will have (compressed) raw data from DNGs, but to retrieve that data you will need a host application that understands CineformRAW. Resolve currently debayers CineformRAW on its own, and discards all Cineform metadata. Would love for Resolve not to do so, but that's for BM to change.

Alex - I understand that the raw settings of CineformRAW are, sadly, not adjustable in Resolve. My question is if your program will export the files in the flat BMD color, so that I can use BMD luts.
    Marc Tschudi
    marctschudi.com

RAW 4 PRO exports in CineformRAW format, as well as in two debayered formats.

CineformRAW is compressed RAW, but you need the host program to understand it the way Cineform programmed it. Resolve does not do it fully.

CineformRAW will look flat in Resolve, but that's because Resolve debayers it - using its own algorithm, and not the way Cineform intended. Resolve's debayering is one of two best algorithms, another one being ACR. But it does not support Cineform metadata.

If you want full raw support in Resolve, use original DNGs.

If you want Resolve to support CineformRAW as raw and not as debayered video, please ask BM to program it into their next Resolve version. If they do so, many folks will be very happy, including me and all Cineform users with Resolve

Here's more info on Resolve and RAW 4 PRO: http://raw4pro.com/resolve/

My question is if your program will export the files in the flat BMD color, so that I can use BMD luts.
    No it won't. The flat BMD color is itself an applied curve. Completely unprocessed BMD files have a green tinge from the Bayer Sensor having twice as many green sensors. Raw4Pro will convert those without adjustment, but your footage will look greenish-flat, not flat.

There is still no way to convert with the exact same curve. But you can get very, imperceptibly close in GoPro Studio, see here: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...&t=238#p110957
    Last edited by absltstrs; 04-25-2014 at 09:13 AM.