Thread: Workflow question: Should I be editing a 2.5K project or a 1080p project?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Workflow question: Should I be editing a 2.5K project or a 1080p project? 
    Hi,

I've converted my BMCC 2.5K raw into Cineform RAW (still at 2.5K resolution) and am editing in a 2.5K sequence.

But should I be editing in a 1920x1080 sequence? I'm still unsure as to whether the Blackmagic Cinema Camera's footage is intended to be viewed at 2.5K or whether its purpose is actually to be scaled down to 1080p.

If it is supposed to be scaled down, my sub questions are:

1. Should I use Cineform Studio to scale down in the RAW conversion process or can I use my NLE (Premiere) to just scale it during the edit?
    2. Can I crop to 1080p without concern or is that not suggested?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks for your help,

-- John

You can edit with any settings you want. You should be using Proxies, which you generated in Resolve, which link back to the original files, which you will grade from last.

Resolve has the best scaling tools out of the programs mentioned.

You can crop anything you want.

For example;

I have raw footage from a shoot on my internal RAID. I import the files into Resolve and do a "first light" or first pass to the footage, an initial color correction and then go to the delivery page and create whatever size proxies I want to use in my NLE.

I export an XML from Resolve and open a new project in Premiere Pro. I import the XML and it imports all of my proxies into the project. I edit and create my transitions and then export a FCP XML.

In Resolve you open you original project and then import the XML selecting the timeline you want to import. You grade and deliver in whatever format you need back in your editor, (usually a compressed editing format like Prores or DNxHD.)

You complete titles and mix sound and then export to whatever format you want.

That all makes sense, but if I'm using Cineform RAW files, they're not really proxies, as I can complete the edit with these files without ever needing to go back to the originals (so I believe).

But if Resolve is the best at scaling, perhaps I should be in a 2.5k project until the very end and scale the final output at the grading stage.

Also, in regard to the final grading stage in Resolve, presumably once you've done the grade, you have to render new files (in ProRes or whatever)?
    Last edited by iamjohnsname; 04-14-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Resolve scaling is just standard - nothing really that "best".

Im editing 2.5k. What if you ever need a 2k (flat/scope) master? With a 1080 project youd have to upscale again.
    Scaling in premiere is better than resolve, too (with mercury engine -> lanczos 2. http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2...e-pro-cs5.html )
    BMCC - Sony HVR-Z7 - Nikon D7100

Does anyone know the technical difference of choosing "Force sizing to highest quality" in the deliver page of resolve, versus not having it checked??
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

As far as I know this option means "resize sharper"
    If you set your project to "resize sharper" than it makes no difference if this box is ticked or not. But if you set the prjoect to "bilinear" to improve playback you can just tick this option in the render window, so you dont have to change your project properties.
    BMCC - Sony HVR-Z7 - Nikon D7100

If your computer edits fluently enough with the Cineform files, it's a no brainer.
    Premieres resizing is excelent, if you use the Mercury engine.
    Keep it 2.5k and render out to whatever you need.

Well that all sounds promising for keeping it at 2.5K.

Why have I read then that the intended use for 2.5K is really just to give more detail and resolution to what ought to be HD outputs?

Quote Originally Posted by iamjohnsname View Post
    Well that all sounds promising for keeping it at 2.5K.

Why have I read then that the intended use for 2.5K is really just to give more detail and resolution to what ought to be HD outputs?
    when you render out 2.5k project to 1080p thats exactly what you are doing. Frank told you that.