Thread: Power

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Does anyone know if the BMC will indicate battery life? On my 7D, when I get down to one bar, it's either new battery time or the A/C adapter comes out. I hope it's not a guessing game with the BMC but I don't recall any information about a battery life indicator.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mhood View Post
    Does anyone know if the BMC will indicate battery life? On my 7D, when I get down to one bar, it's either new battery time or the A/C adapter comes out. I hope it's not a guessing game with the BMC but I don't recall any information about a battery life indicator.
    I'm pretty sure I saw a picture that displayed battery life. Wasn't it in those photos from France?

3. Collapse Details

Woohoo!

4. Collapse Details

You've got gr8 eyes! Thanks! Another silly question about power: Does the BMC retain its settings after a power down? That was an absolutely maddening problem for me way back when with the Nikon D90 and it was such a relief when the 7D retained settings after power downs. Of course, I do frequent power downs to beat overheating...that likely won't be a problem with the BMC.

5. Collapse Details

You've got gr8 eyes! Thanks! Another silly question about power: Does the BMC retain its settings after a power down? That was an absolutely maddening problem for me way back when with the Nikon D90 and it was such a relief when the 7D retained settings after power downs. Of course, I do frequent power downs to beat overheating...that likely won't be a problem with the BMC.
    Not sure on that one. Someone must know!

6. Collapse Details

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    ... Another silly question about power: Does the BMC retain its settings after a power down? ...
    Please take my response in the nicest possible way, from one fellow corporate video shooter to another: Yes, it is a silly question! :-)

As you know, one of the very few people in a position to know the current answer to your question has recently (at least potentially) left the forum for good due to his frustration with folks repeatably making mostly-baseless statements or asking mostly-unanswerable questions about the camera.

The camera isn't finished. Meaning: It doesn't currently meet BMD's specs and standards for release. However, as these things go, it's entirely possible the camera could be 100% finished and ready for release later today or tomorrow or next week.

It's likely that most (essentially all) of the work remaining to be done is software/firmware based. Meaning the factory could be sent the final 1.0 release of the firmware via the internet and start cranking-out cameras within minutes or hours. But until they receive the 1.0 firmware, the camera isn't ready to ship.

Even if the current prototype of the camera retains settings between power cycles there's no guarantee that feature will exist in the first release of the production camera. There can be a million reasons for this. I'm sure BMD would prefer to release the camera with such a feature, but when it gets right down to it, they may decide it's not essential, if whether or not that feature works perfectly is all that stands between first-ship or not. And this is just one of thousands of similar decisions.

I don't think you are silly to want to know as much as possible about the camera before it ships. I understand. I want to know, too. But the reality is that despite anything that JB says, the fact is that the initial product released by BMD may or may not include all the things he's mentioned, and likewise may include a few extra capabilities he hasn't disclosed.

In a sense the camera doesn't really exits until it ships. Everything before that is wishful thinking. Even the manufacturer "hopes/plans" for a product to include certain features, but sometimes can't deliver for a number of very valid reasons. At the point the product ships they publish a final list of specs. Luckily for us the technology allows and precedent indicates that BMD may continue to refine the camera after it ships via firmware updates. "May". Not "will". May.

So, if we're fortunate, JB will let us know if the prototype BMCC retains settings through power cycles. But pre-release specs and observable prototype behavior are sometimes worth less than the paper they're printed on, so to speak.

"YMMV".

Cheers.

7. Collapse Details

^^^ Gee...Thanks for the insight. I have long heard that there are no stoopid questions...only stoopid answers.

8. Collapse Details

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    ^^^ Gee...Thanks for the insight. I have long heard that there are no stoopid questions...only stoopid answers.
    Agreed. My point is that information about pre-release products should be taken with a grain of salt.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fabián Matas View Post
    I wish so!!!! Anton Bauer are extremely expensive!!!!
    They are, and the initial investment is a painful one. But once you've experienced an integrated battery system, you'll never want to go back - you simply make sure your V-mount or AB batteries are charged before your shoot, and then you only need to worry about a single battery that powers both your camera and any accessories attached to it.

And when the battery runs low, it's a 5 second change and everything is up and running again. There's no worrying about the camera battery separately from the monitor battery, or the external recorder battery, or the EVF (or worrying about spare batteries and unique chargers for all of the different battery types you have). It's all just powered by the one unit - and that really does make life simpler and less stressful on set.

10. Collapse Details

Wow. I just looked at the price of an Anton Bauer charger. $1,250! What.. the.. f..