1. Collapse Details
    No Database error when I open Resolve lite.
    I have no users and can't create a new database either. Can you help?

I've reinstalled the program once.

2. Collapse Details

When you install Resolve, the PostgreSQL database application is also installed, and this is what Resolve uses to store project data. Sometimes, PostgreSQL does not install properly, and then you see the database could not connect message.

Look in your Mac Applications folder, and see if you have a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder there. If you do, open the folder and run the Stop Server app. It will likely give you an error message, but that's OK. Now run the Start Server app. It will either start the server, or give you an error message. If it DOES start the server, then launch Resolve, and see if its happy now. If you see a guest and admin user login icon, then everything is good. If you get an error message when you run Start Server, grab a screen shot and send it to us.

If you don't have a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder in your Mac Applications folder, then open a Finder window and select the /Library folder. In there, you should see a PostgreSQL folder. Using Finder, rename the PostgreSQL folder to PostgreSQL.bad and then reinstall the Resolve dmg file. You do not need to do an uninstall first, just install Resolve again. After your system restarts, look again in your Mac Applications folder. If you now have a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder in the Applications folder, things are probably good. If you don't have a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder in the Mac Applications folder, let us know, and we'll send you a more comprehensive fix for getting PostgreSQL installed. Otherwise, continue below.

Launch Resolve, and see if it has a guest and admin user now. If so, you are good to go. If not, follow the process above to manually run the Start Server app (run Stop Server first). If that's happy, and launching Resolve still does not show the guest and admin user login icons, then open the Database Manager on the Resolve login page, and see if there is a database listed. If there is, highlight it, and click Select. If that works, it should close the window, and you should see a guest and admin user login icon. If clicking Select does not work, it may tell you the database is not compatible. If so, click Upgrade. After that's done, then highlight the database in the list, and then click Select. If you don't have a database in the list at all or you can't make a database that is listed work, click Create. Take all the defaults shown except the Label and DB Name. Use something like resolve in both those areas. It can be any name you want, but the DB Name must be lower case, and not contain spaces or special characters. Once it's created, highlight the database in the list, then click Select. Now you should have a guest and admin user.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the explanation. What about Windows?

4. Collapse Details

Windows is a whole different thing. If you need help with that, please contact DaVinci support directly at davincihelp (at) blackmagic-design.com

But basically, if your Windows machine is connected to a Windows Domain Server, it has a password policy that does not allow our default password of DaVinci to work when creating the PostgreSQL database. The solution is to uninstall PostgreSQL and manually install it, and use a database password that your Domain Server security policy will accept. More explicit details, and a document are available when you contact support.

The other thing that has been seen to cause PostgreSQL install failures is a Windows install that does not have English selected as the native language. Again, the solution is a PostgreSQL uninstall, followed by a manual install, and selecting some specific items to address the language issue for PostgreSQL.
    Last edited by Dwaine; 06-04-2012 at 11:46 PM.

5. Collapse Details

It will either start the server, or give you an error message. If it DOES start the server, then launch Resolve, and see if its happy now. If you see a guest and admin user login icon, then everything is good. If you get an error message when you run Start Server, grab a screen shot and send it to us.
    This is what I still have. I have been working with Resolve 8.2.1 licensed version under Lion due to Premiere pro problem I went back to Snow Leopard. No I can not acces Resolve anymore. Also I have a job with 745 shots still to rendered out. I hope to recover this.
    First message with stopping is: pg_ctl: PID file "/Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postmaster.pid" does not exist Is server running
    Message with starting is: waiting for server to start.... 2012-07-05 "09:03:48 GMTFATAL/Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data" has group or world acces 2012-07-05 "09:03:48 GMTDETAIL: Permission should be u=rwx(0700). .................... .could not start server
    p.s. my user name as administrator was created after installing resolve for the first time. Removed everything from Resolve including Postgre from my mac and did a clean install. Same problem Help!!!!!!!! Cheers Stephan

6. Collapse Details

I haven't had a chance to contact tech support. Maybe you should too.