Thread: monitoring at 400 ISO

1. #1 monitoring at 400 ISO 
    i was wondering if you were to monitor at 400 ISO and shoot at 800 ISO than later drop exposure one stop in post would footage be less noisier?
    has anyone on here been doing this?

It works great for RAW (you can monitor in ISO 400 or 200 for example) but for prores it will record at whatever ISO you set/monitor.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by vegetableman View Post
    i was wondering if you were to monitor at 400 ISO and shoot at 800 ISO than later drop exposure one stop in post would footage be less noisier?
    has anyone on here been doing this?
    I do. Sometimes I even monitor at 200. Thing is, zebras are sensor clipping so it's a pretty good method. I hate to say this, but yeah we have 13 stops of Dynamic Range, but we have to push the shadows up so high on set so they're not noisy that it almost kinda limits the use of it if you don't like noisy images.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDelVecchio View Post
    I do. Sometimes I even monitor at 200. Thing is, zebras are sensor clipping so it's a pretty good method. I hate to say this, but yeah we have 13 stops of Dynamic Range, but we have to push the shadows up so high on set so they're not noisy that it almost kinda limits the use of it if you don't like noisy images.
    goos to know. thanks!

I personally dont mind a noisy image i just really despise that horizontal green line in the middle of the frame in low light.
    Ive been shooting mostly prores and at ISO 800 i still see the screen splitting in half in my shadows. I will light a nighttime interior scene where my subject is properly exposed and all the areas that would naturally be 2 or 3 stops under will have a line that splits my image even before making any adjustments in post.

I prefer to get my image as close as i can to final image in camera. Hopefully monitoring at 400 then switching to 800 then later dropping everything one stop in post will help me out a bit.