Thread: Grey Card WB question

1. #1 Grey Card WB question 
    Hello,

So I finally ordered a grey card for white balancing when shooting prores. What is best practice, do I move it very close to the lens and press AUTO WB? Or can I leave it where subject is going to be(center frame) hold the card up, and then hit AUTO WB? As I have never used it.

Thanks,

Grey card is for setting exposure, to white balance you need white, a simple piece of paper is fine, and yes it needs to fill screen if using awb settings. If just using for reference for post work just needs to be clear in the shot.

Oh ok Thanks!, yeah got the white and grey card.
    How does the expose with the grey card work, if you are shooting fully with manual lenses though? I figures with electronic lenses you could set auto aputure onto the grey card and it would change aputure accordingly?

I think generally when setting white balance you want the card to fill the frame; some cameras (GH5, Pocket 4K) have a square appear in the frame designating where it is reading the card, so the card should fill that square. One important point is to be sure you are white balancing for your key light; if you are using lights with different color temps and they're on while you're attempting to WB, it will throw off the WB. Put the white card in a place where your key light is illuminating it, then WB

You can definitely use a grey card for white balance. It has advantages and disadvantages with respect to doing it with a white card. I've always used grey because I can adjust exposure with it as well, and because it lands closer to skin lightness, which is where I want my WB to be most accurate. Actually, since I shoot RAW, I'm doing skin balance in post, where I'll correct the WB targetting skin hues, not white or grey patches.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Oh ok Thanks!, yeah got the white and grey card.
    How does the expose with the grey card work, if you are shooting fully with manual lenses though? I figures with electronic lenses you could set auto aputure onto the grey card and it would change aputure accordingly?
    If you're using a camera (or monitor) with false colour then set the 18% grey card in your actor's position, turn on false colour, and adjust exposure until the card turns green.

Thanks guys

And if you don't have false color (i.e. a DSLR or mirrorless without external monitor), set the camera to point meter and adjust exposure until the camera says the card is well exposed