Thread: Petition - "BMD Buyers Matter"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    All I can say is wow. This forum is really becoming a parody of itself.

We're trying to make some noise so dude can get his camera fixed. Thanks for dropping by to be a condescending prick.

The insensitive way in which you're making the noise makes it very difficult to back the effort.

A) 1 year warranty is standard even for much more expensive cameras.
    B) BMD bring cinema quality to the masses due to very low prices compared to the competition. Expecting better service would mean being ok with higher prices.

As already suggested, an option for an extended warranty would be a solution.
    Last edited by stip; 09-29-2019 at 06:43 AM.

I Recently bought an Arri amira. It has a standard 1 year warranty. But with Arri you have the option to buy extended warranty. It only costs 2000 a year.. And a additionel 800 to get it checked.

Personally I'm against BM reviewing their strategy with warranties and quality control. I think the strategy is perfect. - We get amazing low price cameras at the cost of a higher chance of them to fail and lower warranty period.
    I have 4 different cameras from BM and they are working just fine for about 3-5 years, it's been 250-300 shooting days. But I expect any camera to fail anytime, and that's why I bring a second (backup) camera with me on every set (though fail never happened, but at least I was calm thinking about that).
    I'm OK with BM camera failing once in a year, providing that this enables BM to create new cameras better and with low price.
    But again, I never experienced a single fail from BM cameras.
    If you value a longer warranty period more than the camera features and image quality, then why not go with another brand? Panasonic or Sony for example

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
    I Recently bought an Arri amira. It has a standard 1 year warranty. But with Arri you have the option to buy extended warranty. It only costs 2000€ a year.. And a additionel 800€ to get it checked.
    So for a $40000 camera you get peace of mind by paying $2000 a year, and it will still cost $800 to get it checked out. I really don't see why people don't see the price of BM cameras as the insurance. For the initial body price of an Amira you can have 6 UMPro, 6, so carry 2 all the time at least if you are working professionals and bill accordingly. If you are the lucky most that don't have failures the insurance saved gets you a new body every three years. And let's be realistic, the pocket series are throw away cameras in this context. There are no professional cameras anywhere close to the price point.

Obviously the mindset needs to be different when you are a amateur and can barely afford it. But without Blackmagic you'd have to budget to rent the Arri for your project, and when done you send it back with your money all gone. With Blackmagic it will hopefully still work when you do your next passion project, and this time the camera is free.

Don't forget that Arri has a very robust manufacturing pipeline with by hand-QC during the entire process, so they have the infrastructure to repair or replace the tiniest fault.

Blackmagic does not have such a resource (to my knowledge).

To those of you who just want to be with the status quo, don't bother giving your opinion because what we are trying to do here is petition for change in the warranty and service process. We want BMD to be better, not just be cheap. If they don't have the resource, then hire more, hire better people, and adjust pricing to have a better product or if they want to keep it cheap, provide extended warranty or protection plans for a fee so it does not cut into their revenue. Simple.

Until then, surely I'm looking at other brands now since I cancelled by pre-order of the P4K and hold off the purchase of the P6K. Now, if more of the folks will do the same and go for another brand, that will cut into BMD sales and it will impact their revenue stream. It will impact you who think the status quo is just fine. Which would you prefer, BMD going out of the camera business or figuring out how to better their product and service so they can be more competitive? Pick your poison. My poison is the latter. I don't mind having to pay for an extra protection plan, extended warranty, or a few hundred dollars increase in their products as long as it is superior in quality and serviceability.
    Last edited by EYu; 09-29-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    To those of you who just want to be with the status quo, don't bother giving your opinion because what we are trying to do here is petition for change in the warranty and service process. We want BMD to be better, not just be cheap. If they don't have the resource, then hire more, hire better people, and adjust pricing to have a better product or if they want to keep it cheap, provide extended warranty or protection plans for a fee so it does not cut into their revenue. Simple.

Until then, surely I'm looking at other brands now since I cancelled by pre-order of the P4K and hold off the purchase of the P6K. Now, if more of the folks will do the same and go for another brand, that will cut into BMD sales and it will impact their revenue stream. It will impact you who think the status quo is just fine. Which would you prefer, BMD going out of the camera business or figuring out how to better their product and service so they can be more competitive? Pick your poison. My poison is the latter. I don't mind having to pay for an extra protection plan, extended warranty, or a few hundred dollars increase in their products as long as it is superior in quality and serviceability.
    Very well said. Thank you for saying so in a great manner.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    So for a $40000 camera you get peace of mind by paying $2000 a year, and it will still cost $800 to get it checked out. I really don't see why people don't see the price of BM cameras as the insurance. For the initial body price of an Amira you can have 6 UMPro, 6, so carry 2 all the time at least if you are working professionals and bill accordingly. If you are the lucky most that don't have failures the insurance saved gets you a new body every three years. And let's be realistic, the pocket series are throw away cameras in this context. There are no professional cameras anywhere close to the price point.

Obviously the mindset needs to be different when you are a amateur and can barely afford it. But without Blackmagic you'd have to budget to rent the Arri for your project, and when done you send it back with your money all gone. With Blackmagic it will hopefully still work when you do your next passion project, and this time the camera is free.
    Problem is that you can't charge as much to rent an UMP as you can an Amira, nor is it even close to as desirable for clients. So you just spent the price of an Amira for an inferior revenue stream just so you would have a bunch of backups.