Thread: Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nothing I can add here except to add my name to the weight of protest to BMD.

BMD - you are better than this !! BMD Don't let yourself down.

18 months for a multi thousand dollar camera is completely unacceptable.

To the OP, as others have stated try your consumer protection laws on minimum warranty. Seems your only chance. It is disheartening that BMD won't look after the very people who make them successful ............. Talk about bite the hand that feeds you.......

Edit.. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever reading about a camera that failed due to sensor issues. Not saying it's never happened, just that I can't recall ever having read a tale of woe about a camera that just suddenly died because of a sensor issue. Clearly not worth the money but it would be interesting to get that camera back and get an independent tech to go over it to find out what the real cause of failure is. Do you really think BMD are going to tell the customer "yeah our ver 1.0b circuit boards are dodgy as hell and that's why the camera failed"

Its part of the reason why I stopped doing freebies years ago. Not that it happen to me but it is what if my gears failed for whatever reason during a shoot. Now I add the cost of gear hire in addition to normal rate.

Please post this also on the official BMD Forum to make some noise. If then there is no reaction from BMD officials, we all can spread the story to the specialized news media. I will help with contacting Slashcam.de the biggest German website. I am sure others will have contact to newsshooter.com and other.

100%- this needs to be published far and wide to shame them into doing the right thing. It is us with our hard earned money who make them successful.

COme on BMD - YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS !!

5. #15 Sensor issue ? Really ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tremblingwater View Post
    Hello all,

Hope everyone is good. Not usually a talker on here, more of a reader. However I would love some advice/tips.

My UMP bit the dust last week during a shoot. Was disheartening but also very embarrassing in front of clients. Camera was working fine when all of a sudden it died and then refused to turn on again (fans booted up).

I sent it back and just got word from them. It seems like it's a sensor issue and it wouldn't be economical for them to repair it. They're not offering a replacement or an incentive/discount, repair - basically nothing. Just that they can dispose it for me.

The camera was well cared for and evidently not user error. Now I know the warranty is only for a year (that's unfortunate to begin with) but surely a sensor should last more than a year and six months.

Does anyone have any advice because surely there's something I can do? I'd love to have something to present an argument with opposed to just pleasing hoping they'd help me out.

This sort of answer, in my book, is terrible customer service. Just a little stuck and could use some opinions.

Thanks so much
    " IT SEEMS LIKE A SENSOR ISSUE " ..... it is NOT a Serious Answer from any Technical Service ... They should know EXACTLY what is the Problem .. It IS a Sensor Issue or NOT ...
    The Sensor is located on the front of the Camera , and should be Easily Replaceable ... A sensor is a rather Expensive Component , but not THAT MUCH .. Not the value of the whole Camera ..
    If the Main Board or another board is in Fault , it should also be Replaceable ..
    I like Electronics , build , and sometimtes have to Fix some problems , and I know you MUST BE VERY METHODIC when you are searching for a trouble , you never know AT FIRST what is the problem ..
    Most of the Time , your first Idea reveals to be completely Wrong .. and often the problem is a simple and minor problem .. There are Methods to Track the fault ..
    When we buy any expensive equipment , It is IMPORTANT , for Peace of Mind , to be Sure that the Equipment can be repaired , whatever is the problem ..
    BM should Take Care , because it's Easy ( and Fast ) to damage an Image ..

I hope your problem will be FIXED .. It is IMPORTANT .. For You , and for Anyone of US ..

GOOD LUCK / With my Best Regards from France / Mike ..

Hey everyone.

Just for pure clarity and openess, this is the exact email:

I just got an update at the same time your message came in and it looks like after swapping the main circuit board we are not able to repair the issues with the sensor. Since the sensor cost more that the entire camera this is beyond economical repair for us. We can go ahead and send it back to you as is or dispose of the camera for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed
    Appreciate the support. Your suggestions are indeed exactly what I'm trying. I have responded. I guess let's see what they say.

Since the sensor cost more that the entire camera this is beyond economical repair for us.
    Are they kidding? How can the sensor cost more than the entire camera? I mean, if that had to be an in-warranty repair - they would have to have electronic spare parts stocked anyway - and there is no way those spare parts would cost more than the camera itself.

8. #18 Sensor cost .. I learn everyday .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by tremblingwater View Post
    Hey everyone.

Just for pure clarity and openess, this is the exact email:

Appreciate the support. Your suggestions are indeed exactly what I'm trying. I have responded. I guess let's see what they say.
    OK Then .. The Sensor costs more than the Camera ... Well , I Learn Everyday .. Not Easy to Understand ... Of Course , when there is Mass Production ..
    I Could think the Components Costs are Lower ( Same with Automobiles .. ) , but I believe the Designer and Manufacturer should make some kind of " Provision "
    to have some sensors available for repair .. at least for Peace of Mind of the Customers ..

There are not That Many Major Breakdowns on those Cameras , so the Cost for the manufacturer would not be that high , and that would
    be Highly Beneficial for the Customers , which is Always a Very Good Thing for their Image .. and , in the End , is Also Highly Beneficial for the Manufacturer ..

Also , a DEAD SENSOR after one and a half Year of Normal and Cautious Use is not Normal .... That SHOULD NOT HAPPEN ...

There is a " STATE OF THE ART " of things .. as in all Technical Domains .. when that kind of thing happens , it's because of an
    error , an incorrect design , or a Defective Component .. It's not a Normal Behaviour ..

I Hope you'll get a Good Solution for that Sad Problem ..

GOOD LUCK / With my Best Regards from France ..

Mike ..

Deep down we all know this is the gauntlet that we run with using BMD. Why do we let them get away with it?

A 6K camera dies, you buy another one. You are now 12K down. At that point other cameras are worth looking at.

What if thier is a defect with the sensor or the way they manufacture it? So then, you could end up 3 cameras down the spout....now 18K in.....wow this is just plain crazy.

And its not like BMD is known for solid cameras that rarely if ever fail is it ?........... So you could very easily end up 2 + cameras down over 2 to 3 years. Its risky for sure and buying a camera should not be risky...should it !!

So bottom line is, we all get it here on this forum but its like preaching to the converted. We have to move this message out into the wider camera world.

If you like, we need to start a "BMD camera buyers matter" campaign. The power of Social media. Ignore it at your peril BMD ! But only....ONLY if enough of us make noise out there on the forums/social media platforms.

Wouldn't it be an incredible breath of fresh air to hear Grant address this matter directly in a communique

It seems like they still don't have a pro camera service department. I'm pretty sure that in warranty service involves just sending out new cameras.

The flip side is that it very well may cost more than the camera is worth to fix it, service bench time plus parts is more than assembly line time plus parts.

I've said it before and will say it again if your business model can't put your camera in profit in six months or less, don't spend more than what you can afford to blow on a hobby. I still have the original Pocket, and luckily it is still going strong. If I do a project that needs it I'll move up to the 4k, but I would only go Ursa if I had a budget big enough to rent Alexa, and the total rental would be more than owning Ursa, production saves money and I get a new camera. Yes absolutely the sensor and related boards should last more than 1.5 years, most of them likely do. When you get stuck with one that doesn't, it hurts. I would never buy a used one, that's for sure.