Thread: S16 Camera choice. Some help please.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 S16 Camera choice. Some help please. 
    Thanks in advance for your 2c on this.

I am confused about what camera to go for to shoot S16. I have a number of PL mount S16 lenses and 1 or 2 16mm lenses in PL as well.

I thought the UMB was the way to go but now not so sure. This cam shoots native S16 at 4K. As far as I know its the only way to shoot S16 at 4K. It does not have the dynamic range of the P4K or P6K much less the UMP G2.

So I am confused about how the P4K/P6K/UMP G2 shoot in "Window" mode. I have never done this or seen it done and have zero experience with this, so really I know little to nothing about it.

I think I sorta get it. The P4K with the new 6.6fw has a S16 crop mode. I am supposing this means there are guide lines on the screen showing where the image falls on the S16 frame and one simply frames and shoots within those guide lines?

If I have got the basic gist of it, then is the P4K a better way to go today to shoot S16?

What about the P6K ?

I do intend to pick up a few BMPCC's even though they are only 1080P because it's another look. Why a few? because as they die over the years I will have replacements/spares.

Thoughts?

If you can't give me your 2c on this I will gladly accept 1c's worth

Cheers

Interested to know for the same reasons

The image from the original BMCC 2.5k is superior to the pocketHD and has the same framerate restrictions. Your options for 13 stop s16 image capture are limited to the BMCC, Pocket/Micro, and simply cropping the Pocket4K/6K, Ursa/whatever.

I would go with the Pocket4k/6k and crop the vignette in post, but that's my personal opinion since s16 lenses would be a specialty thing for me in the first place. The design of the new camera is better in every way and saves you headaches down the road going to older cameras. I wouldn't build my kit around s16 glass and the modern system is futureproof.

You're going to have to adapt PL to ef/mft to an unsupported obsolete system. Not to mention all the mandatory accessories needed for those systems to function properly. What a mess.

edit:

There are quite a few 2/3" cinema cameras that were popular in the film/digital crossover period. They are many factors more expensive than what you are looking at and require a ridiculous support infrastructure to function. They are also only HD. They aren't really a good option, but they do exist.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 09-18-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Fist off, S16:is really a HD deliverable format, and while it works on the Ursa Broadcast Camera with the Ursa Mini Pro PL mount, I always downresed it to HD in camera, this works very well. The UB has several advantages with its native S16 sensor (slightly larger than true S16 film gate) but most S16 lenses will cover it. Another is you have two XLR audio inputs, one of which can be set to AES digital audio to take a single cable, two channel audio input from an outboard mixer, like the Sound Devices MixPreD. You also get built in ND filters. Downside, it is larger and requires a good tripod, and uses V or AB Mount ca,era batteries which are more expensive. If you go this route, see my UB accessories for Sale in Off Topic.

I switched to the
    I met 4K, to downsize my rig, due to hand issues. The new upcoming FW 6.5, appears to include a S16 2.6K window mode. This means you are only using the center 2.6K area of the sensor, and the monitor shows this area in the entire monitor (no crop), yuk can set frame guides to get different aspect radios, like 2.3:1 to crop to in post. The camera shoots this wondomin BRaw, and in ProRes, when the camera is set to HD, and yiu slect the 2.6K window in the camera menu (like you would to get the HD crop for 120fps). Using a crop window of the sensor, decreases the sensor readout times, allowing for faster frame rates, and less visible RS artificers. The camera is taking the full 2.6k area of the sensor and downresing the signal to HD to record in ProRes. No cropping in post required, what you see, is what you get.

You can get several very good MFT/PL adapters, and even one with a Speed Booster element, for using PL mount S35 lenses on the S16 sensor window, from Metabones. Metabones also makes a good straight MFT/PL adapters, as does Wooden Camera (I use their Pro version which can be shimmed to correct FFD distance) and HotRod Cameras made an excellent one also. I added the WC Pocket Cage to get full PL adapter support on my Pocket 4K, which is a nice minimal cage, easily removed. Downside, you will need to add ND filters, and a nice small 4x4 Matte Box is a nice thing to have, expands filter use and makes switching lenses quicker. A cage is needed to get PL adapter support, and 15mm rails for your accessories.

Cheers

In the next firmware of the P4k the 2.6k super16 mode will fill the screen and only record that resolution so reduced Data vs. 4k. Pl to mft adapters are readily available. Probably your best bet. The 2.8k crop of the 6k is supposedly roughly super 16 now, but you would have to adapt from ef, and not really gaining much if you are mostly using as a duper16 camera.

Yes, most EF/PL adapters will not mount a PL S16 lens. You would need to get the Wooden Camera PL mount kit to replace the EF mount.
    So my bet is a,so on the new Picket 4K. The new FW 6.6 should be out by the end of the month, I would imagine.
    Cheers

OG Pocket, micro cinema, micro studio, UB, dBolex, and Z Cam E2g are all native S16 sensors. What’s the advantage of a p4k or p6k crop exactly? If you’re into Braw and the dslr form factor then I can see it, otherwise what’s the point?

+1 am with Howie. You already have the PL glasses. Go get the OG Pocket from Ebay - time tested S16 sensor for cheap. Get a PL to MFT mount adapter and you have one hell of a solution. Then shoot your price piece, make a lot of money, then buy the camera of your dream.
    Last edited by EYu; 09-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    OG Pocket, micro cinema, micro studio, UB, dBolex, and Z Cam E2g are all native S16 sensors. What’s the advantage of a p4k or p6k crop exactly? If you’re into Braw and the dslr form factor then I can see it, otherwise what’s the point?
    2.6k resolution, BRaw, 120fps, and the P4K's UI would all be upgrades over the Pocket, Micro, and Micro Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    2.6k resolution, BRaw, 120fps, and the P4K's UI would all be upgrades over the Pocket, Micro, and Micro Studio.
    Yes, but unnecessary. There's more than enough in the OG Pocket with his PL lenses if OP know what he/she want to do with it.