Thread: Anyone else excited about the ATEM Mini?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That is not a bad idea, gives you a SDI input and a mic XLR, you would need a SDI to hdmi Converter to get the program out back in the new Mini ATEM, but hmm... something to think about.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 09-18-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    This completely replaces the Web Presenter
    I mean... it doesn't. At all. I don't own any cameras with HDMI out for example, so there's that. But as an additional tool it seems great value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mantle View Post
    I mean... it doesn't. At all. I don't own any cameras with HDMI out for example, so there's that. But as an additional tool it seems great value.
    I'm sure you can find a SDI to HDMI converter

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    This is exectly what I need to help my kids do more YouTube videos. We have a couple of old HV20's and a buddy has offered me his, but shooting and capturing tape is such a hassle and sometimes the tapes drop out so I can't post sync Multicam anyway. I've been thinking of going with a switcher but even the cheapest ATEM was out of my budget as just for fun. Looks like Open Broadcaster can record via the USB, we would probably never go live, if not can always use the hdmi game capture box they already have. Either way it looks pretty cool for the price.
    Do some multicam events - and always traded in live broadcasting for the flexibility of recording each camera and doing a quick edit afterwords.....

My question is; can you view all 4 inputs simultenously, and seperately from the main output? Or are you supposed to switch 'blindly' to a source? Maybe if it's manned you could ask the cameraman beforehand..... still seems an essential feature to me...

The blind switching aspect is the primary feature that separates this from the more professional tools. How much extra would it cost to incorporate a multi view output? Trying to work around this limitation gets you into the territory of the next step up in the ATEM line. In the context of the YouTube one man band model all of the cameras are locked off so not to hard to keep track of, just make notes.

Just use a small HDMI in/ out monitor for each camera, extra kit, or just plug in a laptop and get camera feed monitor there.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Just use a small HDMI in/ out monitor for each camera, extra kit, or just plug in a laptop and get camera feed monitor there.
    Cheers
    Thanks to everyone.... using an HDMI monitor for each camera would defeat the purpose of a 'small and cheap' switcher. If I plug in a laptop, I'm still switching blind no?

To me, it's a useless product (a first from BlackMagic), and a laptop with three or four quality USB webcams would be simpler and more effective. Indeed, I know of Radio Stations who do exactly that - using multiple wireless and USB webcams and switching using just a laptop, which streams directly and is also used for viewer interraction and what not.

Maybe including a seperate HDMI port for multiview would have cannibalised the larger switches' sales - but BlackMagic's cameras strength was always in giving the full hardware potential to the user - without artificial segmentation by limiting or omitting features. Even an HDMI port or a small monitor showing the next 'queued up' source would have made it useful.

As it stands, unless someone already has HDMI cameras which he wants to use for live events, and can work 'blind' (which can easily make the stream unprofessional) I see very limited use for this crippled product.

I think the launch video indicated that the hdmi out could be used as a cue preview out with the USB as the program out, but then the you lose the possibility of recording the hdmi output at high quality. It would be nice if at least thumbnail source feeds were imbedded in the USB, but there is no indication of that, and I have no idea how you would achieve the remote switching feature without seeing the feeds.

I don't see it as useless though, if you have hdmi cameras sitting idle, and would create content with mostly locked down cameras there is a lot you can do with it for minimal cost. If you already have camera monitors with hdmi in/out, you can utilize that, I have 2.

if you get fairly deep in the product info:
    "Preview Transition

The preview transition button lets you set up complicated green screen keys and rehearse them before taking them on air! Preview video can be seen on a monitor when the HDMI out is set to PREV, making it easy to check the transition. Using the preview transition button is the best way to ensure your transition is perfect before going on air!"

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...mmini/software

Yes, no multi view options but the HDMI out can give a preview.

I shoot quite a few academic conferences and have started using a weirdly framed shot, including a corner of the projection screen. It’s the only way I can keep track of slides, which then get replaced as stills and the speaker gets cropped, picture in picture. This device would save all that faffing around. And offering a live stream could boost the rate and replace the ‘lost’ editing fee...?