Thread: A Red Scarlet-w owners view on the BMPCC 6k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yes, aliasing can be a problem. I was also used to the 'softness' Red was blamed for, which actually just meant they were using a proper OLPF. On a Red, I could never provoke aliasing in a real-life shot, just some color moiré on test charts. Which is to be expected, if you would make the OLPF strong enough to suppress that on a Bayer sensors, you'd get very soft pictures. It's always a delicate balance, but Red did it right.
    I don't know.... their OLPF's are very heavy handed in my view.

This really bites you in the arse once you go to a window'd frame rate. Back on the RED one you could shoot a test chart of windowed 1920 and a regular 720 camera would out resolve it easily.

JB

True. But on a test pattern you'd still get chroma moiré with a Red. At least they are interchangeable (and not as expensive as Sony's).

You can't do it right for everybody. Alan Roberts from the BBC once said that the Sony F3 had no OLPF at all. Which was sarcasm, but Sony always stayed on the sharper side until Venice. For me, the Rawlite hits a nice middle ground and a think Dean should like an UMP with it.
    Last edited by Nomad; 08-16-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks for the input fellas. On the Red Scarlet-w shooting 5k and delivering 2k I don't punch in further than 3k. Cos yeah, it's not the best. If delivering 4k I think 4k is fine though. I like the look of RED at full resolution though. Have to admit I am contemplating a move to the URSA mini g2... internal ND's and audio are calling me lol. Also 120fps at 4.6k is better than the Scarlet-w's 4k 120fps (and less of a crop!). Broll handheld is soo much nicer at 100 - 120 over 50-60 so I'm always cropping to 4k on the Red. All that said, I adore the image - the colors, the DR on the dragon. I just still think it's gorgeous. But from my impressions, the Ursa is perhaps closer to Arri color (not good or bad, i like both) but with less room in the highlights then either RED or Arri. But not by much? What are your thoughts? I'm an Aussie so I'm happy to get on the BMD train and be a patriot ;-) Also... I just pulled the trigger on the 6k! Couldn't help it.

Do you guys think an 8k (or 6k) full frame option will come from BMD within the next 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Butler View Post

Do you guys think an 8k (or 6k) full frame option will come from BMD within the next 2 years?
    yes

I think you’ll like it. Arri is famous for its skin tones, and BM is damn close.
    While I liked our Reds for nature, I never found their skin tones that great.

So although I originally said the bmpcc6k wasnt for me right now, it only took a week for me to think it over and buy one. My first bmd camera!!!