Thread: The difference in sensor size between P4k and P6k is not as big as you'd think

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The difference in sensor size between P4k and P6k is not as big as you'd think 
    From the actual spec sheets the P4k, when shooting dci 4k has an oversized MFT sensor at 18.9mm wide. The maximum sensor width of the P6k is 23.1mm, a bit undersized for super35. The crop factor between the 2 is only 1.22 so fairly insignificant for framing and DOF difference. I don't have cameras to test but matching frames should come from 24mm on a P4k and 28mm on the P6k or say 42mm on the P4k is 50mm on P6k. They are even closer if using the 5.7k crop for 60p or the DCI 4k ProRes mode, which is only 21.5mm wide or a mathematically insignificant crop difference of 1.14

I don't doubt they will sell a bunch just because of the native ef mount, and I'm sure some will even welcome the burden of the 6k workflow, but if you just want 4k Braw and don't mind adapted lenses, or use native MFT or PL lenses you are not losing much stick with the P4k. If you are a speedbooster user you would actually be losing quite a lot of effective sensor size to move to the P6k.

The P6K is less of an upgrade path (UM4.6K -> UMP G1 -> G2) and more for a separate user-base.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    The P6K is less of an upgrade path (UM4.6K -> UMP G1 -> G2) and more for a separate user-base.
    Yes true, but I'm upgrading from original pocket, and haven't ordered the P4k yet, so fully evaluating options. I think P4k is best fit for me.

I really think they should have called the new one the Bmcc6k even though it shares mostly same body, as Grant is right in stating that this is the spiritual successor to the original cinema cam for ef users.

And today we have a new member here, please tell us about yourself...
    -Hi, my name is Toby.
    -[audience] Hi, Toby...
    -I've just made it through a week of not buying p6k.
    -[audience applause]
    -Well Toby, welcome to the "Proud P4K Owners Club"

Quote Originally Posted by core_50 View Post
    And today we have a new member here, please tell us about yourself...
    -Hi, my name is Toby.
    -[audience] Hi, Toby...
    -I've just made it through a week of not buying p6k.
    -[audience applause]
    -Well Toby, welcome to the "Proud P4K Owners Club"
    That's pretty funny.

Yes, it was... But I made it through last week without buying either the Pokcet 4K or the 6K...

And I'm over here trying to buy / trade for an original Pocket camera!

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    Don't you have a micro?

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    I'm waiting for the eBay price to drop to about $200, then I will grab a bunch, ha ha. Even if I get a new one I have no plans to give up the old one as long as it still works.

But there are times when I could use low light, high frame rates and a Resolve studio license.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    From the actual spec sheets the P4k, when shooting dci 4k has an oversized MFT sensor at 18.9mm wide. The maximum sensor width of the P6k is 23.1mm, a bit undersized for super35. The crop factor between the 2 is only 1.22 so fairly insignificant for framing and DOF difference. I don't have cameras to test but matching frames should come from 24mm on a P4k and 28mm on the P6k or say 42mm on the P4k is 50mm on P6k. They are even closer if using the 5.7k crop for 60p or the DCI 4k ProRes mode, which is only 21.5mm wide or a mathematically insignificant crop difference of 1.14

I don't doubt they will sell a bunch just because of the native ef mount, and I'm sure some will even welcome the burden of the 6k workflow, but if you just want 4k Braw and don't mind adapted lenses, or use native MFT or PL lenses you are not losing much stick with the P4k. If you are a speedbooster user you would actually be losing quite a lot of effective sensor size to move to the P6k.

Interesting thoughts, especially the bit about the 5.7k. But for me it works the other way around: most of the stuff I shoot goes to a 16:9 timeline, so in the p4k I'm using 3840x2160, which is a 2.03x crop factor, and in the p6k I could use 6144x3456, which is the full 1.56x crop factor. The ratio between those two is 1.30x.

The issue I have with the p6k is that my lens set is badly suited for an APS-C EF camera. On the p4k I use a 12mm f/2.0, a 25mm f/0.95, and a 50mm f/1.4, which in FoV+DoF equivalent terms leaves me at 24mm f/4.0, 50mm f/1.9 and 100mm f/2.8 equivalents. Not bad. On the p6k I'd go for a 18-35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4, which would mean a FoV+DoF equivalent of 28-55mm f/2.8 and 77mm f/2.2. Not ideal, and that's the best glass I know about for that lens mount and crop factor. the lack of fast, high quality and relatively cheap APS-C glass for the EF mount would be hurting me. I wish I could use my E-mount Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 lenses on the p6k...