Thread: UMP or EVA1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 UMP or EVA1? 
    I'm having a hard time deciding between ump or EVA1. Looking for the most cinematic image and easiest to color grade. I would like lighter but not necessarily a deciding factor.

UMP G2 by a long stretch. There's a larger ecosystem for the UMP now. You get interchangeable mounts so you can adopt PL lenses as your project demands. Resolve Studio comes with it too.

Get the G2! Amazing color, easy to grade, and very flexible. You also get raw out of the box.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Had the UMP and moved to the EVA1 when it came out. Awesome camera, half the weight and lots of flexibility. Battery lasts forever. Helpful to have 2 4K outputs - SDI and HDMI. No moire issues. I use the Pocket4k as my b cam on a gimbal and they match well (EVA1 has more dr). Looking forward to the S1 upgrade for vlog and might retire the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferypeterson View Post
    I'm having a hard time deciding between ump or EVA1. Looking for the most cinematic image and easiest to color grade. I would like lighter but not necessarily a deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Had the UMP and moved to the EVA1 when it came out. Awesome camera, half the weight and lots of flexibility. Battery lasts forever. Helpful to have 2 4K outputs - SDI and HDMI. No moire issues. I use the Pocket4k as my b cam on a gimbal and they match well (EVA1 has more dr). Looking forward to the S1 upgrade for vlog and might retire the pocket.
    How do you feel about the S1 being limited to 150 mbps bit rate? I like how compact the unit is but I'd think going from prores/braw to 150mbps is a big downgrade?

The S1H might get higher bitrates when it's released later this year (plus it will have 6K/24p and 4K/60p 10-bit).

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The S1H might get higher bitrates when it's released later this year (plus it will have 6K/24p and 4K/60p 10-bit).
    Yeah seems like they've reserved the higher bit rates for it seeing as there's no reason the s1 or it's media couldn't support it. $4k USD for a mirrorless though? getting a bit out of hand I'd say. Wish the market went for high spec'd aps-c mirrorless but doesn't look like that's happening.

It's definitely pushing it for today's times based on expectations, but it's still in that doable range. (The new Fujifilm GFX 100 is $10,000 and a top seller, lol...not sure how that happened.)

The Panasonic is a loaded full-frame camera (that's also a stills camera if you need one) with many awesome features, especially with the absolutely amazing IBIS.

With the UMP one could also say you're basically paying $6K for just color science, ND filters, and RAW/ProRes...because there is not much else.

Even though inexpensive systems like the X-T3 and Pocket 4K exist and offer so much for very little, the hybrid full-frame systems will still be $2K+. The a7RII and a7SII were around $3K when they came out. The a7SIII will probably be around there or a bit more when it's announced later this year.

What response other than "UMP" were you expecting on a Blackmagic forum? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    What response other than "UMP" were you expecting on a Blackmagic forum? lol.
    This exact response 🙂

Thanks everyone for the feedback.