Thread: BMPCC *new* SanDisk Extreme Pro compatibilitÓ issues

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 BMPCC *new* SanDisk Extreme Pro compatibilitÓ issues 
    As discussed extensively in the BlackMagic forums, the new SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are incompatible with the BMPCC, BMMCC and VideoAssist recorders. This is of course a huge setback for the BlackMagic cameras in particular, as they're the only cards which enable RAW video! .

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=83050

I'm posting to ask if it's worthwhile petitioning BlackMagic to update the cameras to accept the new cards. While I'm aware the BMPCC is EOL and discontunued, the Micro Cinema Camera is still in production and having to resort to scavenging old cards on eBay, at higher prices, to use RAW video is definitely not on....

If it's not an easy fix, maybe BlackMagic could collaborate with Sandisk and other manfucaturers to release new cards which can record RAW video on these little gems.
    Last edited by SottoTerra; 07-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.

tried angelbird cards?

Do Angelbird make UHS-1 cards? Compatible with the original pocket? This lack of media is a serious issue for those of us who still consider the old cameras viable. I've never been compelled to shoot raw and am fine with ProRes and am pretty sure the gold label extreme continue to work for that, there's some on prime day deal I'm tempted to grab just to find out. Could send back if don't work, but cheap enough to use with other cameras anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Do Angelbird make UHS-1 cards? Compatible with the original pocket? This lack of media is a serious issue for those of us who still consider the old cameras viable. I've never been compelled to shoot raw and am fine with ProRes and am pretty sure the gold label extreme continue to work for that, there's some on prime day deal I'm tempted to grab just to find out. Could send back if don't work, but cheap enough to use with other cameras anyway.
    ah yes, forgot that minor detail.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    No the Gold label extreme ARE NOT RECOGNIZED by the camera..... it's not a question of them being slower or faster.... the 'new' revision which has been out for more then a year does not work with the BMPCC or BMMCC, and the 'old' revision has been discontinued, and consequently cards are sky rocketing in price as they become harder and harder to find. To my knowledge, no other card is recommended by BlackMagic themselves for RAW recording, other then the OLD Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

Wonder if BlackMagic could make a minor Firmware update to allow the new cards to work - they at least ought to update the Micro Cinema cameras, as they're still being sold and relatively new. Also including the BMPCC would be nice, but I do understand they're EOL and, rightly so, Blackmagic can't keep updating cameras ad-indinfinitum....

Quote Originally Posted by SottoTerra View Post
    No the Gold label extreme ARE NOT RECOGNIZED by the camera..... it's not a question of them being slower or faster.... the 'new' revision which has been out for more then a year does not work with the BMPCC or BMMCC, and the 'old' revision has been discontinued, and consequently cards are sky rocketing in price as they become harder and harder to find. To my knowledge, no other card is recommended by BlackMagic themselves for RAW recording, other then the OLD Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

Wonder if BlackMagic could make a minor Firmware update to allow the new cards to work - they at least ought to update the Micro Cinema cameras, as they're still being sold and relatively new. Also including the BMPCC would be nice, but I do understand they're EOL and, rightly so, Blackmagic can't keep updating cameras ad-indinfinitum....
    Thanks for the clarification, I thought the card not recognized was just the new revision extreme Pro, and that gold extreme would still work for ProRes. That really sucks. Any other known affordable media that will do ProRes at least. My cards have been reliable but it would be nice to be able to get more.

The original pocket is still trading fairly strong on eBay, and not everyone bothers to include a working card. If BM can fix this with a firmware update they really should as a good faith measure. This camera was already picky about what cards work.

Lexar has announced a new high speed SD UHS I SD card, the Lexar 64GB UHS-I SDXC. It lists a, “High-speed, Class 10, UHS Speed Class 3 (U3), and Video Speed Class 30 (V30) performance leverages UHS-I technology for read speeds of up to 100 MB/s.”

Perhaps this card may work with the BMPCC and BMMCC?
    Cheers

Well, since the BMPCC is no longer supported, it is up to us to find out which cards work and put together here a list of cards that are known to work for CDNG.

Yes and no, the Bmmcc is still a current product which uses the same cards that no longer work. Just seems odd that whatever sandisk did to these cards makes them unmountabe. Maybe someone could figure out how to hack the firmware of the card itself to make them present as the older version.

Brad Hurley from the BMD forum notified me of a post about test that Frank Engel has been doing on SD Cards for BMPCC. You might find this link of help (or not).
    https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=91479
    Last edited by EYu; 07-15-2019 at 11:47 PM.