Thread: Davinci Resolve is rubbish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Davinci Resolve is rubbish 
    It's a powerful editor no doubt but cannot be relied on professionally. We are on the 16th iteration of Resolve yet it is STILL crippled by two things:

1) After hooking up a second monitor, you are unable to open any project files when using just a single monitor. The "Open Project" window will be displayed on a non-existent 2nd monitor even if you have dual screen turned off.

2) The audio bug. I've finally been hit where the meters indicate there is sound in the clip but there is no audio playback at all. I have tried everything from changing my settings to 16bit 48000hz, manually selecting my sound outputs, etc. Every "fix" out there.

Bottom line is that no matter how much I love the editor it is completely unreliable because you never know when it will crap out one way or another. Incredibly embarrassing when editing with a co-worker.

Resolve is some of the most powerful software available. Sounds like you just don't have it set up right. Try calling tech support and have them walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Resolve is some of the most powerful software available. Sounds like you just don't have it set up right. Try calling tech support and have them walk you through it.
    It was set up just fine. I did not make any system changes nor any changes in Resolve itself, I simply opened Resolve one day and the audio stopped playing back. The audio not playing back seems to be a common bug that has no real fix.

Yes, I understand it is one of the most powerful NLE's out there. However if it can't perform basic functions consistently then it is marred as a professional NLE.

I have uninstalled resolve, downloaded the latest realtek audio drivers, and re-installed. Levels indicate that audio is playing but there is no sound.

This is user error, not Resolve. Resolve works well for us and have no issues like any of what you are stating. Check your system configuration, setup, and read the manual. We have folks who moved from Premier Pro and Avid Media Composer recently and they are just doing fine with Resolve 15.3. Although we will move to 16, we don't usually change version until it is generally release and at a .2 or .3 revision. If you are running 16 Beta, then don't expect it to work like GA. You're testing it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    This is user error, not Resolve. Resolve works well for us and have no issues like any of what you are stating. Check your system configuration, setup, and read the manual. We have folks who moved from Premier Pro and Avid Media Composer recently and they are just doing fine with Resolve 15.3. Although we will move to 16, we don't usually change version until it is generally release and at a .2 or .3 revision. If you are running 16 Beta, then don't expect it to work like GA. You're testing it at that point.

It cannot be a user error because literally nothing has changed from the last time I opened resolve to now. If it's clearly a user error, how can you explain the timeline audio NOT being muted, meters showing that there is audio yet no audio comes through? A simple google search shows that many others exhibit this problem out of nowhere as well as the dual monitor bug.

Edit: Installed Davinci 15. Same issue. Starting to freak out as I have a bunch of project that are due. I have tried fixing it using the Video Audio I/O panel, manually setting my speakers and using system settings. This literally happened out of nowhere - for some reason Davinci is not playing the sound through my laptop speakers. It is not a timeline issue as it doesn't play in the medial pool as wel. (meters still indicating that there is sound). However upon export sound is rendered properly. People are expected to pay $300 for this?
    Last edited by RomanStone; 07-14-2019 at 03:35 PM.

A beta software isn't intended for professional use, of course there are bugs.

Even when you are on a stable version, I wouldn't ever upgrade mid project. All software should remain untouched until you have delivered, and upgrades should happen when you have downtime and enough time to test before starting another project.
    Haavard Helle

I had a similar issue after an upgrade. I looked everywhere, checked my Steinberg firmware. On the third time I looked in "Preferences" (top left of the interface), I was able to fix it. Here is a (lousy) picture of the "Audio" dialog box with my settings. It took me a while to get the "Steinberg" to appear in the "Speakers" box. It was grayed out first, I think it became active after I checked none on the two radio buttons above it.

I hope this helps you out!

D7C58703-2606-4D79-9EBC-08CC2D3815B2.jpg

Resolve became my only NLE since version 12 and is working great.
    Since than, I did a ton of commercial projects without any issues to write home about.

The problem is siting definitely in front of the monitor here.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    It cannot be a user error because literally nothing has changed from the last time I opened resolve to now. If it's clearly a user error, how can you explain the timeline audio NOT being muted, meters showing that there is audio yet no audio comes through? A simple google search shows that many others exhibit this problem out of nowhere as well as the dual monitor bug.

Edit: Installed Davinci 15. Same issue. Starting to freak out as I have a bunch of project that are due. I have tried fixing it using the Video Audio I/O panel, manually setting my speakers and using system settings. This literally happened out of nowhere - for some reason Davinci is not playing the sound through my laptop speakers. It is not a timeline issue as it doesn't play in the medial pool as wel. (meters still indicating that there is sound). However upon export sound is rendered properly. People are expected to pay $300 for this?
    Before you jump to conclusion and panic, check your configurations out. You might just have accidentally change stuff. So do this (look at the screenshot I attached) and it might help you figure it out...

1. Check your Preference and make sure you are using either the System Setting for speakers or select the correct speaker you want to use.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 11.09.06 PM.jpg

2. If #1 still does not do it, then go to the FUSION tab and select MAIN. Hope this helps and calms you down. Cheers.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 11.06.47 PM.jpg

If that don't do it, call BMD Support. Resolve works as advertised. I personally will tell you that if there is something that is in their documentation and it doesn't work, it's likely I have missed it, hence user error and it happens to everyone specially those new to the software. Now if it crashes, then that is a software issue.