Thread: Lookin to grab a Pocket 4k- any moire issues?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Interesting experiment, please keep us posted

Also the strongest side of BM cameras (beside its price range) is ProRes/RAW codec. Even without additional noise reduction it allow to recover few additional stops from shadows very easy. This may help to match camera to Arri dynamic range as well. Any other DSLR/Mirrorless (even the newest ones) can't do the same amount of shadow recovery due ugly compressed codec. You can see some of my older shadow recovery tests here http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20965

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Well, I've made some progress but the site is giving me crap about my images (won't let me embed them here in a post without errors, broken links, etc) so I can't much share what I've got so far. Maybe I'll write a blog post about it.

Anyhow, the upshot is: early results on the image are very promising. Out of the gate BMD's default Pocket to extended video LUT is harsh. Not something I want to use, tbh. The way the Alexa stuff grades has spoilt me. However by building a grade from scratch I was able to get the Pocket 4K footage pretty close to what the Arri Log-C to Rec709 gives out of the Alexa. It's not perfect (nothing is) but it's definitely good enough to intercut with the Alexa with no issues, and in some cases is really hard to tell the difference. And it behaves the very similarly when putting a look grade on it, so I can keep cooking the images the way I would with Alexa footage- which is what I was mostly concerned about.

On set workflow on the Alexa is still a dream. It's just so well thought out. It's just the right shape with things in the right spots and sturdy. I can have it from the pelican case to shooting condition in a minute (well, the 30-40 second start up time is a bummer. Love the pocket's 3 second boot time).

The Pocket's GUI is great, so that's a wash with the Alexa. Love what BMD has done with that. It's as easy to use as the Arri GUI.

The one thing that kinda bugs me about the Pocket (and I knew it would) is that building the thing out for work is a chore. It's a DSLR form, so of course it's got jangly bits and bobs all akimbo once it's built. What I'll likely do is build it for quick switching between sticks and handheld and shoulder (pretty straight forward), then bolt & bind all the cables and bits & bobs down hard and leave it built in a pelican case. Then grab another Pocket 4k and build it for use on the Zhiyun Crane 3 gimbal and just leave it that way. If I need a stealthy cam to grab-n-go or steal shots with I'll use the stripped down gimbal Pocket, I think. I just don't want to be taking the thing apart and putting it back together for different uses. A primary reason I ditched my Red Epic was that hassle of slapping different parts & cables onto and off the camera just to get ready to shoot, or to switch usage during a shoot. Farting around with lego bits is fine and fun when puttering the evening away at home with a beer, but it's no way to live on set when you don't have an AC2 to do it for you. So once I rig it, I'm gonna leave it built and bolted together.

Lastly, if any of you kind folk know what the deal is with the images here I'd appreciate a tip or two.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    Lastly, if any of you kind folk know what the deal is with the images here I'd appreciate a tip or two.
    Just put images to image hosting like imgur.com or similar. It generates BBCode (message boards & forums) links which you just put anywhere in the forum message. It is way simpler than use forum attachment image hosting and less load to forum servers due multiple images processing.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/