Thread: Everything you need to know about RED Minimags and probably others

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The point is red patent trolls anyone who uses compressed raw which Is bull. That’s why blackmagic had to take out cdng from their cameras. Now someone came and showed them in court that they had no patent on the overpriced red mag. I say good. Poetic justice.

Will they sue Sigma since they will be using cdng, or license it to Sigma at a hefty cost?

They can do external, but no internal...otherwise they would also have to sue a couple of other companies including Panasonic and Sony (again).

Looks like this guy is just getting started, drat

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    They can do external, but no internal...otherwise they would also have to sue a couple of other companies including Panasonic and Sony (again).
    With that line of thinking, Blackmagic could enable CDNG / RAW recording just to external USB media, which both the Pocket 4k and new Ursa Mini Pro G2 can record to. Offering an alternative to anyone who still prefers unprocessed RAW to BRAW while avoiding expensive and polonged litigation with RED.

Maybe in a near future release?

Quote Originally Posted by SottoTerra View Post
    With that line of thinking, Blackmagic could enable CDNG / RAW recording just to external USB media, which both the Pocket 4k and new Ursa Mini Pro G2 can record to. Offering an alternative to anyone who still prefers unprocessed RAW to BRAW while avoiding expensive and polonged litigation with RED.

Good idea.

In this Newsshooter article it says that the new Sigma fp will record CDNG to the Video Assist, so I don't see why BM wouldn't be interested if enough people wanted it.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/...-stills-hybrid

I haven't followed the VA's updates so I never knew it could record RAW unless that will be a future update as well.

It would be cool if the little Micro 4K could finally record RAW to the VA.

I think recording to an external drive would still be considered an internal recording as the camera is only saving the media to the drive not using it to create the recording - Where as an external device like an atomos recorder is doing the grunt work BUT I assume it'd but up to how the patent is worded and if a judge agrees. I'd assumed Red would do their best to word it in their favour as a sort of catch 22 where internal recording means the camera is doing the work.

WOW! I also saw that SSD in red media long long time ago over the forums, but until i look at those videos i never realize they are so overpriced and use lowest quality SSDs inside. SSD side module (actually simple passive adapter) price is also sort of madness.

Jinni.Tech prices are lower that RED but same time they also charge a lot. This kind of PCB adapter costs less than $1 and similar custom made CNC machined enclosure may cost less than $10 if order batch of 500-1000 pcs.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/